Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying a flat - problem

Comments

• Options
    A bloody stressful time buying a house and surprisingly there is so little clear & straighforward information on the internet that guides you through the process for first time buyers.
  • Options
    just picked up on this thread, well done Danny and well done all who helped, the CL community is alive and kicking, good teamwork, hope it works out, it sounds like it will.
  • Options
    Haven't posted but I have followed this thread from the start. Sounds like it's going to happen, chuffed for you fella. Enjoy being on the ladder!
  • Options
    Orrible ting...the shark infested feeding frenzy that accompanies every house purchase. Prob his.solicitor has higher priorities now.
    anyway,.being.cc'd in the seller's email is a good sign so fingers.crossed
  • Options
    Well done, good result.
  • Options
    Nice one Danny. Just post up your new address when it's all done and we'll all be round for the house warming party !
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well done Danny...sounds like you're almost there. You'll have no problems when you move next time now!!

;-)
  • Options
    Fell through today. We were just waiting for the maintenance questionnaire to come back them we could exchange. We had an email saying he's decided to go with a 15k higher offer.

Our estate agent wasn't happy for obvious reasons but he also said he doesn't know how this happened as he had the only keys to it.

Devastated.
  • Options
    After 4 months of hell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Danny. Very sorry. What a shitter.
  • Options

go back offer 20k above then pull out the day of signing contracts

And tell him he's a ****.
  • Options
    As he's pulling the plug I hope he has the decency to offer to pay the costs you've incurred. If not, perhaps it should be suggested. Followed this thread from the start, sorry to see things have fallen through.
  • Options
    sorry to hear that Danny. Not sure what to say apart from stick at it & I'm sure you'll find another (and better !!) place v. soon. I would be half inclined to do what nla suggested although that course of action is only for the brave !!
  • Options

As he's pulling the plug I hope he has the decency to offer to pay the costs you've incurred. If not, perhaps it should be suggested. Followed this thread from the start, sorry to see things have fallen through.

Don't have a leg to stand on :( best part of a grand too.
  • Options
    SO sorry to hear this, Danny.

As golfie said, maybe this one wasn't meant to be and there is a better one out there for you.

Good luck in finding it.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this tale.

Make sure you have nothing more to do with the estate agent - don't let him come up with an "better alternative"

Leave him/them to rue the lost commission from a genuine buyer.
  • Options
    So sorry to see this Danny. The system STINKS!!

I'm sure something better will come up.

Stay positive and good luck!!
  • Options
    He could be pulling ur plonker trying to get u to up ur offer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He could be pulling ur plonker trying to get u to up ur offer?

I'd have thought the same thing but the email from the solicitor just says, "After much deliberation, we've accepted a 215k offer plus 2k deposit."
  • Options
    Really sorry to heat that. I'm sure you're gutted at the moment but hopefully something betters just around the corner. The system really does need sorting out once and for all but governments of all persuasion keep dodging the issue.
  • Options
    its a grand kick the shit out of him
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Danny
    A similar thing happened to me quite a few years ago and I thought f**k this buying lark and I ended up renting for about another 7/8 years and in the long run cost me a lot lot more money so just take a deep breath and carry on searching, you'll find the right one eventually
    Good luck
  • Options
    Is it true that in scotland, once a bid is accepted that the seller can't pull out or take a higher bid or is thatjust a myth?
  • Options
    Ridiculous system, remember just how stressful it was as we similarly we buying from the sort who played games trying to get the offer upped. Sorry to hear Danny.
  • Options
    What a ****!

Still, the positives are that you've now got a solicitor onside who you know you can trust to get things done quickly next time around, so overall you're in a much stronger position than you were.

Good luck.
  • Options

Is it true that in scotland, once a bid is accepted that the seller can't pull out or take a higher bid or is thatjust a myth?

That's true once the contract has been signed. The reason that gazumping is rare in Scotland is that properties in many cities are marketed/sold mostly by solicitor/estate agents rather than non-solicitor estate agents (like your Foxtons, Countrywide etc).

Solicitors are bound by the rules of the Law Society of Scotland, even in their estate agency work, whereas non-solicitor estate agents are unregulated.  The Law Society of Scotland, in an attempt to ensure that the Scottish property market was not blighted by the problems of gazumping that exist south of the border, binds all solicitor firms to follow Anti-Gazumping rules.

As a seller, you can still accept a higher bid from someone else. However, if you do, your solicitor/agent would then have to withdraw and no longer act for you.

Could happen here now, with the change in the law for legal firms to allow non-solicitors to be owners of the business and this opening the door for cross-sector professional firms (law/accountants/estate agents etc). Would need the Law Society of E&W to follow the Scots example as well.

Sorry about the flat and your experience this time Danny. Hope you find somewhere better soon. All the best.
  • Options
    They also have the "offers over" system in Scotland. Not entirely sure if that's better or worse in the long run as you would still have estate agents giving moody valuations, but at least it stops some chancer offering you £50k below the asking price and basically taking the pish.
  • Options
    Had a similar experience when we moved down here....fortunately it worked out for the better in the end, hope it does for you Danny...good luck.