Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away followings so far ;-)

2»

Comments

• Options

So, I must have imagined the pitch invaders, the bottles being thrown, the racism, etc over the last year ?
    Oh, and the b*st*rd who BROKE a linesmans flag !!

Real scary stuff.
    Might not go now :(
  • Options
    edited January 2014

The problem with comparing those stats is that charlton are at a disadvantage in that games where we could boost our averages (ie easy travelling distance) are also for us so far this season the ones with restricted away fans allocations or in the case of reading played midweek

How many games do we normally sell out though? Palace and Brighton I remember from last season.

We couldn't even sell all the tickets for Millwall last year.
    And you're surprised, Folev ?

OK - I'd probably go every time, all things being equal but it IS a hellhole for away fans in general, regardless of it being a local derby for us . One which I'd guess a lot of regular away travellers think twice about...

Quite pleased we'll be on holiday for this one in March.

A hellhole? Seriously. It's a few miles down the road. It's not exactly Kabul is it.

Few fellas in work support Birmingham & Watford. One of their favourite away games is Millwall. Say it's piss easy to get to, good day on the sauce in London, normally a good atmosphere etc.

Every team, including yourselves, sing "you're not scary anymore", yet still seem to stay away in their thousands or call it a "hellhole", as if visiting fans are routinely attacked & stabbed.

More serious violence has occured at Anfield in the past fortnight than the past few years at The Den!
    OK, SLL. Maybe a poor use of words ...

But it is a seriously depressing ground to visit as an away fan, believe me. Being close to SE7 has little to do with it in my book.

And as far as atmosphere is concerned, you have to be joking ! The Wigan & Brum fans probably told you that because it's one of the grounds where their fans don't have to do much to drown out the boring "MMMMmmmmmmmm" from the home contingent.

Of course visiting fans aren't routinely attacked & stabbed but you can't get away from the fact that some of your lot regularly let down the majority with their threatening behaviour - and that's not only towards supporters ! Ask that linesman last week !

And "banter" such as keeping us locked in post match a couple of years ago doesn't help matters.

Finally, not all away fans look forward to " a day on the sauce in London " - in fact, I'd hazard a guess that it's the minority especially where local derbies are concerned. Much more likely to bring our flasks & blankets ! :-)

Just my opinion of course.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    You know SLL that the reason is more to do with our usual inept performances against you than any other reason. Will be the same this year.

In general any of these stats can be skewed for a multiple of reasons, the main factor this year has been stated, 1) it is a northern dominated league and 2) London clubs will always pick up more away support because a fair proportion of the away support live in the SE anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics
  • Options
    No hiding behind the fact that that is dismal
  • Options

So, I must have imagined the pitch invaders, the bottles being thrown, the racism, etc over the last year ?

Yeah, all worse than a bloke being stabbed 4 times I suppose.
    More coins chucked and more anti semite abuse at the Emirates last week.

Out of the away fans that actually bother to come to The Den, most realise it's now one of the safest to go to.

• Options

Yeah, all worse than a bloke being stabbed 4 times I suppose.
    More coins chucked and more anti semite abuse at the Emirates last week.

Out of the away fans that actually bother to come to The Den, most realise it's now one of the safest to go to.

Not the safest. not with all those dioxins floating about thanks to the giant waste incineration plant next door.
  • Options
    Well said, oohaa.

Of course, I couldn't use those exact words.....

:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2014

No surprise that away followings to The Den are almost 50% of what people take to The Valley.

well those numbers should even out if it's that good down there

i'm bored of coming out of that poxy ground and the scum fucktard support looking for a rumble and ive been to a gazillion grounds and matches and it's a handful of agg elsewhere compared to the shit handed out by the scum , yes every club has it's divs but percentage wise millwall outc*nt everyone

They are West Ham fans waiting outside the den for away fans. They work with the media and both groups go to great lengths to make Millwall look bad.

Seriously though, i don't think the level trouble stops people going.

If south bermondsey is open then you don't see à Millwall fan outside the ground. Bliss.
  • Options
    Going to give an un biased opinion on the those numbers.

Number wise the two most popular away games by numbers Millwall and Brighton are still to be played. With Millwall have played those 2. Charlton and Brighton.

Plus the 2 games which sold out are relatively small allocation Bournemouth and Leeds. How in the north the more popular away ground offer larger away ends. Sheff Wednesday, Bolton, Wigan.

Plus more teams in the north this season.

However, for the home numbers we get our away support is poor. I love the away days. Means I alway get a ticket for every game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Our away support is great concidering we didn't win a single game until November, plus with the season we are having too.

Cheers OoHaa for using our correct name as well, WAWAW.
  • Options
    We did sell out Millwall, I doubt anyone took a bigger following there than us last season.
  • Options

No surprise that away followings to The Den are almost 50% of what people take to The Valley.

well those numbers should even out if it's that good down there

Not at all. We have a reputation and that reputation will stick. Based on that reputation many people will still give it a swerve, as the different away followings taken to us & you clearly demonstrate.
  • Options
    The numbers will go up when palace, west ham and Fulham get relegated and orient and Brentford get promoted
  • Options

We did sell out Millwall, I doubt anyone took a bigger following there than us last season.

Exactly, we did sell it out. It was the couple of hundred that were returned a day or two before that the club had held back that we failed to sell.

• Options
    Disappointing to see us below Millwall - hopefully that's due to them having had more attractive away games thus far and will be reversed after we take 3,500/4,000 there in March.

Leeds should be in the Premier League, and Forest and Sheff Weds arguably too, in place of the likes of Palace, Fulham and Wigan
  • Options

Disappointing to see us below Millwall - hopefully that's due to them having had more attractive away games thus far and will be reversed after we take 3,500/4,000 there in March.

Leeds should be in the Premier League, and Forest and Sheff Weds arguably too, in place of the likes of Palace, Fulham and Wigan

Why should you be in the premier league just because you have a few fans?
  • Options

Our away support is great concidering we didn't win a single game until November, plus with the season we are having too.

Yes it's good but you are the biggest club in a city that has a population of over half a million
  • Options
    So China should win the world cup as they have more supporters?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Surely "should" shouldn't be used in this instance ?

Just because those 3 Clubs you named have been "BIG" Clubs in the past, there's no reason to expect their resurgence again.

Times, finances, fortunes change as does most things in life and in some cases, money talks.

But no team has a divine right to be in the Prem.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes it's good but you are the biggest club in a city that has a population of over half a million
    Population doesn't really mean anything, look at Bristol, look at Birmigham City.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Surely "should" shouldn't be used in this instance ?

Just because those 3 Clubs you named have been "BIG" Clubs in the past, there's no reason to expect their resurgence again.

Times, finances, fortunes change as does most things in life and in some cases, money talks.

But no team has a divine right to be in the Prem.

My point exactly
  • Options
    If our declared home attendances were more honest then our away as a % of home would improve. I hope that never happens as I like our inflated home numbers.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

If our declared home attendances were more honest then our away as a % of home would improve. I hope that never happens as I like our inflated home numbers.

You'll probably find that most clubs include comps/season tickets not used into the official attendance. I do not think we are any different to most clubs

• Options
    Not good.