Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Birmingham City - this is what can happen

If anyone doubts that we should take a keen interest in what happens off the field at our club, this article is worth reading.
Carson Yeung and his cohorts are clearly wrong 'uns. I am sure our new owner would be offended to be even considered in the same bracket. But even good businesses and businessmen engage in bad and damaging practice when there is insufficient scrutiny (e.g most of the British and American financial services industry!) .
Personally I though their Trust spokesman pulled his punches a bit there. How on earth can the guy justify being paid all that based on City's on and off field performance?

Comments

• Options
    As long as the FA have an in effective fit and proper person test all clubs once they go out of fan ownership (for us that would be Murray) are at the risk of being used by unscrupulous ownership.

RD may be a fit and proper person but as far as we know he is in this for profit not sentiment so a day will come when he decides to sell and we again risk becoming a Birmingham.

I am not sure how the Trust can prevent this, with 100% ownership in RD's hands other than being a vocal protest.
  • Options
    Hi Kap, the answer is for as many fans as possible to take an interest in such matters. We've got at least three vehicles for doing it; and each one will have a different approach. The Trust will do its best to study the business from the outside but with the benefit of dialogue with the club and people from various types of business in the Trust team; then you have the Voice which can articulate a certain viewpoint and put it into language that everyone can relate to; and then you have CL which is the least focused, because inevitably it will include people telling others to shut up and mind their own business.

I won't speculate here on what the Trust could do in the future, but at the very least, this article tells us to watch what the Brum Trust does, and learn from their success or failure to influence events. Supporters Direct is great at spreading this learning around, and helping Trusts to become stronger as a national movement.
  • Options

Hi Kap, the answer is for as many fans as possible to take an interest in such matters. We've got at least three vehicles for doing it; and each one will have a different approach. The Trust will do its best to study the business from the outside but with the benefit of dialogue with the club and people from various types of business in the Trust team; then you have the Voice which can articulate a certain viewpoint and put it into language that everyone can relate to; and then you have CL which is the least focused, because inevitably it will include people telling others to shut up and mind their own business.

I won't speculate here on what the Trust could do in the future, but at the very least, this article tells us to watch what the Brum Trust does, and learn from their success or failure to influence events. Supporters Direct is great at spreading this learning around, and helping Trusts to become stronger as a national movement.

Hi Prague, agree with what you say and in no way should any of the communication vehicles be underestimated. I would add in to them "Into The Valley", who I am sure would be against any owner abusing the club in this way and obviously, as being poles apart from CL, do reach out to a different group of supporters and whatever anyone may think of them, in this circumstance a united front would be needed.

Ever since Murray sold (which I don't question) I have felt we are a club at risk (As are Chelsea, Man City etc,.)and using all communication vehicles at our disposal will at least highlight the issue as have Birmingham. the goal of ownership seems to have been pushed backwards with the sale of Murrays 10% to RD, but you never know what the future holds.
  • Options
    Peter Pannu
    Malcolm and Joel Glazer
    Martin Prothero

agree wholeheartedly with Prague...no fanbase can eliminate the risk of a dodgy so and so buying the club, but they can make it a lot less attractive by presenting a united front. no chairman wants to be hounded constantly, both in the form of coherent vocal questioning by a fans forum and in the form of dogs abuse on a matchday.

the FAs test is a joke, has been ever since they passed Thaksin Sinawatra as a "fit and proper" person.