Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southampton chairman resigns....(Sky Sources)

Sky sources: Southampton executive chairman Nicola Cortese hands in written resignation - follow this developing story on #SSN

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10572881/Nicola-Cortese-on-brink-of-resigning-as-Southampton-chairman.html

Think the manager said he'd leave if Cortese left...

Comments

• Options
    Why is he resigning? Anything bubbling under the surface here? Could be a big implosion about to happen on the south coast...
  • Options
    Don't think he has the cash anyway and at the end of the day that is all that really matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    He almost left in the summer but stayed on. Local paper suggests that the difference between Cortese and the Liebherr estate have never been resolved.

In the summer, Pochettino said he would leave if Cortese did.

A few friends of mine seem worried that as Cortese and Liebherr put together a vision for the club and since Liebherr's death, Cortese has implemented this and has got the players on board with the vision. Should Cortese leave, some of my mates are worried a few of their players will leave too.

However, also heard rumours for weeks now that their is possible Chinese backers ready to take over the club.
  • Options
    Dont think Le Tissier will be too bothered... think the two hate each other
  • Options

He was banned by the club as was Francis Benali and a few other ex-saints players.
  • Options
    Cortese lined up to be new CEO at a Club in SE London is the strong rumour...

.. in my head
  • Options
    Maybe Lallana and Shaw being sold ?
  • Options
    If only we.could poach him as CEO. Has done a great job there.

word in the swiss press is that the daughter has no interest in continuing to own an english team, or any.actually. cortese has done a bit of a gamechanger here by coming out in the press. Nothing as cheap as something being actively sold.

i heard she was trying to keep intention to sell quiet in order to.max the price. Its pretty clear the saints are near the top .of their particular curve at the moment. Anyone who buys SFC for 100m plus is bonkers...so hello to a middle or far east consortium
  • Options

Cortese lined up to be new CEO at a Club in SE London is the strong rumour.

.. in my head

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I assume that you are implying that you'd like this to happen?

I assume that Duchatelet wishes to improve the business performance of his network of Clubs and to develop the footballing side. In the latter case it may also be that he envisages his Clubs acting in a coordinated way (though quite what that might mean is not clear).

Hopefully, he's humble enough to recognise that he'll need expert help to do this. If so, we might expect to see the appointment of both a high quality and experienced CEO (either local or, perhaps, European wide) and a Director of Football with a network wide brief.

We'll see. If this doesn't happen at some point over the next few months I think I'll be disappointed (because of what that might say about his level of ambition), though probably not concerned at this early stage.
  • Options
    The money from the estate has run out ? ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cortese lined up to be new CEO at a Club in SE London is the strong rumour.

.. in my head

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I assume that you are implying that you'd like this to happen?

I assume that Duchatelet wishes to improve the business performance of his network of Clubs and to develop the footballing side. In the latter case it may also be that he envisages his Clubs acting in a coordinated way (though quite what that might mean is not clear).

Hopefully, he's humble enough to recognise that he'll need expert help to do this. If so, we might expect to see the appointment of both a high quality and experienced CEO (either local or, perhaps, European wide) and a Director of Football with a network wide brief.

We'll see. If this doesn't happen at some point over the next few months I think I'll be disappointed (because of what that might say about his level of ambition), though probably not concerned at this early stage.
    I doubt it would be Cortese and it was tongue in cheek but we, and Duchatelet, could do worse. A good track record in English football and in Swiss banking.

he also sacked Pardew so can't be all bad : - )

Out of our league maybe but perhaps as a Eurowide chief as you say? Who knows?
  • Options
    According to the press several top Italian clubs want him.
  • Options
    confirmed
  • Options
    Saw a comment from one of their players saying he only signed a new contract because of him
  • Options

He was banned by the club as was Francis Benali and a few other ex-saints players.
    why was this ??
  • Options
    Saints supporting mate thinks he's off to AC Milan. Could make Seedorf seem a bit silly if he takes Pochettino with him :)
  • Options
    C'mon Pompey, up your game and put those scummers in their place!
  • Options
    Mom just told me this news she saw on a Chinese website last night.Turns out it has been reported on English sites as well.Looks like the bid is not just a rumour.If it does go through,I will be jealous - Wang Jianlin is no Vincent Tan.
    Southampton could become Premier League's richest club as Chinese billionaire Wang Jianlin eyes £175million takeover
  • Options

why was this ??
    They spoke out against Cortese. As much as he managed to bring in top quality players he pissed off ex-players who then spoke out against him so he banned them.

Mom just told me this news she saw on a Chinese website last night.Turns out it has been reported on English sites as well.Looks like the bid is not just a rumour.If it does go through,I will be jealous - Wang Jianlin is no Vincent Tan.
    Southampton could become Premier League's richest club as Chinese billionaire Wang Jianlin eyes £175million takeover

He's denied it today in the local paper saying they havent been in contact and that "The Sunday Mirror's report is purely imaginary and completely inconsistent"
  • Options
    True or not that article just goes to show you that these days there are plenty of extremely rich people willing to buy premier league football clubs. The times i've heard people say Chelsea will be f*cked if Abramovich walks away, likewise City with the Sheikh. No it just means they'll sell up to another billionaire who will keep them where they are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The man who ran Blackburn post Walker (& possibly during part of the Walker era) is possibly taking over Cortese's job. Seemed a fairly steady pair of hands keeping Blackburn in the top flight, but whether he could continue to progress Southampton as Cortese has is another matter. He would also be involved to some degree in the sale of Blackburn to Venkys, which may be attractive to the Southampton owner but perhaps less so to Southampton fans.
  • Options
    Not getting much better in Saints land.

Just suspended their record signing for 2 weeks because of a training ground incident. Sounds like a punch-up, Osvaldo has history of that.
  • Options
    Interesting first appointment

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/22/southampton-set-to-hire-ex-nhl-coach-ralph-krueger-as-director/

nhl coach. Ice hockey....mmm wonder of pottetchino was involved in this appoinment