Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

One for the Legal Bods out there

I got pulled over on my scooter this afternoon , Random stop apparently, I had my Tax disk in the side pocket of my rucksack, (I have had 2 nicked whilst parked up since I got the scooter in June)

The traffic officer said I could get a ticket for not displaying a valid tax disk, I told him my reasons he said not good enough but because I produced it there and then, he was letting me off with a word in my ear,

He also informed me that he wanted to search me, When I asked him why and that I was not willing to let him search me for no reason, he got pretty annoyed, so I played along with him telling him to search me he will either A have to give me a valid reason or B arrest me and do it at the station,

after 5 mins telling me that by arresting me it could jeopardise my acceptance as a black cabbie, and me saying no if I get charged and a criminal record then I could be in trouble, but seeing as I have Legal cover with my LTDA membership I was willing to gamble ,

he got on his bike radio spoke to someone and then gave me my licence back saying if he hadn't just got a more important job to go to now he would've been radioing a van and getting me nicked and getting my scooter recovered at my cost

I prob should've just let him have his dirty feel up of a fat skin headed lard arse Knowledge boy but thought it was a bit of a piss take to be honest , at 38yrs old and not riding like a divvy or doing anything that warranted a stop and search I thought bollox to it

so Is he right

Can I be stopped and searched for no reason

can I be issued a fixed penalty for not having my tax disc on display

If I get nicked and when at the station its discovered I have nothing on me I shouldn't do I still get charged for recovery

was I being stopped and searched so that the numbers add up

should I do it again if this clown stops me again

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Thought about it mate

only point which has validity is the failure to display. However because you.produced immediately thats nonsense. Doesnt apply when the driver is in situ. Its meant to stop people who dont have tax disc from saying "oh but it was under.my jumper in the boot"

He sounds a proper wally..
    did you get his details?

u did good. People need.to stand up to these offcious toy cops or they just get worse

no road rax is not arrestable btw. What a load of nonsense
  • good man, I think he just fancied a bit of lardy boy tbh
  • Sure it wasn't because of the Coca Cola van you had strapped to your back?
  • under PACE, he has to have a valid reason as described under the act to search you.
  • I am pretty sure he was right about your tax disk needing to be displayed but I am not sure about the search.
  • PACE...what a misnomer that is. U ever seen a copper shift on his toes?
  • no mate I never took his details I was too busy laughing at his swede changing colour because I wouldn't let him,

• Well done. Every time a cop comes on with the old ' I'm a hard man in charge' and someone with the balls to stand up to him/her does so. It reminds them they are paid to serve the public.
    Incidentally, later this year tax discs are to be abolished. There is no need for them. The fact you have paid (or not) is instantly available through modern technology. If he had tried to make a case against you on this issue. I suspect it would have quietly been dropped.
  • i just hope he got to that more important job safely.
  • Sponsored links:

• In answer to your questions:
    1. Can you be stopped and searched for no reason?
    No. The officer will need grounds to search you. They will need to tell you that along with the following information: the object of that search, show their warrant card if not in uniform, tell you who they are and what station they are attached to, that you are entitled to a copy of the search record, the legislation that the search is part of and the fact that they are going to be detained for a search.

2. Can you be issued a fixed penalty for not having your tax disc on display?
    Yes.

3. If you get arrested and when at the station its discovered the police have nothing on you, can you still get charged for recovery?
    If your vehicle was confiscated and taken to a car pound, you should be able to claim the cost of that back.

4. Should you do it again if stopped?
    The law does state that you should be displaying the excise licence on the vehicle. Common sense should prevail in light of the fact that it had been stolen previously. However, some officers seem to not use discretion.
  • He heard about your big balls ;-)
  • thanks for that I will make sure I ask the right things now as I am sure he will be looking for me again
  • I got a proper pat down a the airport recently. She even twanged my knicker elastic!
  • Think yourself lucky you've been stopped and asked to be searched once.

My best mate, a North Londoner with West Indian born parents, has been stopped countless times over the last 10 years for no reason. When he was working around Stratford while the Olympic site was being built, he got pulled over twice in the same day by the same two old bill just because he was carrying a rucksack (which held his gym kit and lunch box) and was looking suspicious apparently. He got the hump, rightly so and ended up spending the night in a cell because he objected, like anyone would.

I wont say anymore. I wish common sense would prevail but it doesnt paint a good picture of the old bill. I realise they are only doing their job but you can understand the concerns from the man on the street.

[Add that to the time he was refused entry on a London bus by a driver because he was carrying a pot of Dulux Brilliant White gloss paint because it could potentially be used as a weapon (as a result, we now affectionately know him as the paint pot terrorist!)...]
  • I find that once your finished dealing with them and your in the clear the best thing to say is now go and get back in your car/bike that my hard worked taxes have paid for and go and bother someone else while my taxes pay for you to do that aswell. Makes there blood boil mate but it's the truth and can't do sweet fa about it
  • Curb_It said:

I got a proper pat down a the airport recently. She even twanged my knicker elastic!

Try Copenhagen airport - got patted down by a male security officer there once!

• MrOneLung said:

Sure it wasn't because of the Coca Cola van you had strapped to your back?

100%
  • Curb_It said:

I got a proper pat down a the airport recently. She even twanged my knicker elastic!

so your next London/Scotland (or Vicky verky) flight is via Copenhagen ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

The pat-down I got going through Schipol in October was more like a full body massage, the bloke even kneaded my buttocks.

Probably the most erotic experience I have had since getting married.
  • I got the rubber glove treatment at the French border on a coach from Amsterdam. I am diabetic and back in the 80's used to have the old style syringes and as soon as they found them they descended on me. It didn't matter that my French was good and explained to them what they were, I got taken in a cubicle for a check. Luckily, he only made me squat and had a good feel and look but I was shitting myself as I had a few "gentleman's interest" mags in the bag they hadn't checked.
  • Curb_It said:

Did you complain?

I used to try and get searched going into an away game (if ive drunk enough) and they always swerve me.

• Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

Did you complain?

I used to try and get searched going into an away game (if ive drunk enough) and they always swerve me.

You can smuggle the flares in from now on then :-)