Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kermorgant in midfield?

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
In a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 behind an out & out striker. Church played the lone striker well earlier in the season, or another that hopefully come in between now and the end of the window.

What are your thoughts? I think he could play this role really well, his strength and battling commitment is unfortunately overshadowing his technical ability IMO. I'd love to see what our record is like when we play Yann up front on his own and compare that to our overall record.

Comments

• Options
    Has the technical ability but not the mobility or tackling. It's a no from me.
  • Options
    Need him up top to hold it up
  • Options
    Nooooo
  • Options
    Midfielders need to be creative with their feet and forward thinking not just able to head the ball?
  • Options
    On balance I'd say not. He's one of the few that can score goals but doesn't spend enough time in the penalty area as it is. His passing and vision are good and he's one of our more creative players but he doesn't have the fitness or the drive. I also think he'd pick up too many cards for reckless tackling. Because of his unwillingness to get in the box, I'd say his natural position is playing just behind a striker (someone like Darren Bent or Paul Williams would be ideal).
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

On balance I'd say not. He's one of the few that can score goals but doesn't spend enough time in the penalty area as it is. His passing and vision are good and he's one of our more creative players but he doesn't have the fitness or the drive. I also think he'd pick up too many cards for reckless tackling. Because of his unwillingness to get in the box, I'd say his natural position is playing just behind a striker (someone like Darren Bent or Paul Williams would be ideal).

His vision is good but he doesn't have the passing ability to match it. So for me its No No No!
  • Options
    Lets not lose our 1 and only striker who has a chance of scoring
  • Options
    Yes from me. Main problem isn't the quality of strikers, it's the quality of the final ball from midfield. If we had Danny Murphy or Andy Reid even players like Church would be scoring goals. Kermongant to play a Cantona role or similar.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Agree with Hex here, his passing can be too hit and miss for the middle. He flicks the ball on with great skill but none of our strikers can read it - he simply needs to play alongside a striker with a bit of pace and quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can he play in goal ?
  • Options
    Not sure if Kerm is being instructed to drop deep or he naturally does so in order to see more of the ball but really think sometimes he needs to stay further forward. There are too many times when Kerm has the ball in a crossing position when he should be in the box. It is not as if Church is going to win many headers.

• Options
    One of our biggest problems is a lack of movement. Kermo has terrific vision and speed of thought. His through ball to Stewart at Ipswich for the penalty that wasn't given, was superb. If we had a Darren Bent, Lisbie, Kim Grant or Paul Williams type player, I think Kermo could be a very effective midfield kingpin in the Yann Molby mold. He would play some devastating throughball's and would find himself with more space near the edge of the box.
  • Options
    I don't like the way in which he seems to find himself on the wings delivering crosses. He's our most influential attacking threat in the air and should be in and around the six yard box nodding home*!

*This is dependent on other players not either hitting the first man or Row Z with their crosses!
  • Options
    Yann and Stephens are the only players with any real guile and class to see the killer ball , the problem is the rest of the sidewards passing crabs their playing with
  • Options

Yann and Stephens are the only players with any real guile and class to see the killer ball , the problem is the rest of the sidewards passing crabs their playing with and the sponge foot they're passing too

Fixed.
  • Options
    We all dream of a team of Kermorgants, but unfortunately we only have one.

As such he should play were we lack the most, up front.
  • Options
    He'd win a fair amount of ball but not sure what he could do with it........
  • Options
    With his ability in the air and strength I could see him doing a Dion Dublin and being converted into a centre back in a year or so.
  • Options
    As a striker he scores very few goals. So, in real terms, he's not a very good striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kerm would be a brilliant attacking midfielder with hes vision and passing! but at moment striking spots are dare so he has to play there
  • Options
    Hex said:

Simonsen said:

His vision is good but he doesn't have the passing ability to match it. So for me its No No No!
    Agree with this. Yann has the ability to play some amazing through balls, but he often gives away possession with a simple misplaced pass. He is a very good forward at our level, best make use of him there because we sure as he'll don't have a surplus of good strikers to call on.