Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England's First Motorway Pub opens today

2»

Comments

• Options
    Much of the reporting has given an incomplete picture. Whilst it is a on a service, and signposted from the motorway, it is one of the few where you can access it from the normal road system; it can be visited without ever going on the motorway. My understanding, is that theHighways Agency (or whoever makes the decisions) have made it clear that this is not a precedent for sevice areas that are exclusive to motorways.
    I would add, that like many other service areas it has a hotel; I don't think it is unreasonable to have a licensed bar on the site in which to relax when guests can aleady buy drink in the service area shop to drink in their room.
  • Options
    you can have a booze in Little Chefs already - not sure what the difference is really (apart from LC's being on an A road rather than a motorway)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Boom said:

you can have a booze in Little Chefs already - not sure what the difference is really (apart from LC's being on an A road rather than a motorway)

Really? I didn't know that. Would be interesting to see the drink/drive / accident stats for the roads around little chefs - not including accidents caused by drivers swerving at the last second to avoid having to eat in one of course.
  • Options
    It will probably serve more as a cheap restaurant than a pub tbh.
  • Options
    There are already a load of licensed bars at hotels in service areas, welcome break/days inn have 13 and presumably other operators have similar numbers, drinks have been really available by motorways for years. Non story
  • Options

Having done a few long trips recently where we've stopped at a services every time, I'd have welcomed a Wetherspoons which offered better food than the other crap in there at much better prices...providing they stick to Wetherspoons pricing structure!

Doesn't mean that I'd also have a pint.

Unlikely - it's not like the ones in the airports are cheap. Will be overpriced like everything in these places.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Actually the Wetherspoons chairman says that soft drinks will be priced under the normal price in high street Wetherspoons. Believe they will competitive on food prices, and bottom less tea and coffee. Equally I would guess that more people arrive at a service station as a passenger than as a driver. As a spoons shareholder, I am biased.
  • Options

Actually the Wetherspoons chairman says that soft drinks will be priced under the normal price in high street Wetherspoons. Believe they will competitive on food prices, and bottom less tea and coffee. Equally I would guess that more people arrive at a service station as a passenger than as a driver. As a spoons shareholder, I am biased.

What's the divi like on the shares ?
  • Options
    If they are charging the same prices for food that they charge on High Streets they will be really busy, given the prices charged at food outlets. Their margins on food must be immense given the microwave and boil in the bag rubbish they serve, which will make them fit right in to service station world.
  • Options
    You should never drink and drive ... you might spill it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm driving to Leeds tomorrow and will now go via the M40 so I can pull in for a pint or two on the way.

Complete and utter non story. I hate this country sometimes and I'm very surprised at my mate Napolean's stance on this one.
  • Options
    Westherdpoons probably make more money on the food than beer.