Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

fights at a 99p shop

I think I read it all now. Police were called to a 99p shop in Wrexham when fights broke out because staff had started putting the prices back up after having a "half price closing down sale"

Yes, that's right - people were fighting staff & other customers because the price of ALL goods were going up from 50p to 99p !!!!!!

ffs - what has this world come to !!

Comments

• edited January 2014
    oh those North Welshies .. silly as leeks look you !!!
  • Misread the title and thought this was RyanAir's latest venture.
  • Someone should open a 49p shop...............................in Wales.
  • Curb_It said:

What has this world come to???
    Desparation. People are desperately poor.

To a certain extent yes but desperately poor? Don't think so Curb_It... just don't invent a time machine and go back to the 1920's will you!

Pure greed and a lack of class, morals and self respect. And here speaks someone on £72 a week JSA and living in the back end of nowhere on the charity of my brother and sister in law.
  • Not bothered by how much they cost. I don't play darts.
  • Anything weird or trampy happens in Wales.

Strange place. Strange people.
  • edited January 2014

a lack of class, morals and self respect. .

Shopping in a 99p Shop you mean?

• a lack of class, morals and self respect. .

Shopping in a 99p Shop you mean?
    No kicking off in a 99p shop because the 50p sale has finished. Nothing wrong with 99p shops...
  • Sponsored links:

• we're a bit more upmarket in Grimsby .. we got POUND shops so there .. we be well posh
  • I bought a pumice stone from one once because the boots in Lewisham were charging a bloody fiver. I'm sure it gave me a fungal infection. Or it might have just been poverty rubbing off on me....
  • I dream of opening a 98p shop. Undercut the opposition is my business plan.
  • ^^ could have been a second hand (or foot) one
  • I dream of opening a 98p shop. Undercut the opposition is my business plan.

They already exist
  • shirty5 said:

I dream of opening a 98p shop. Undercut the opposition is my business plan.

They already exist
    97p then.

• I once had to break up a fight between 2 rather large Jamaican ladies who were fighting over the last cabbage patch doll (remember them) in a well known high street retailers .. the ladies were unscathed but the C P D didn't pull through
  • IdleHans said:

shirty5 said:

I dream of opening a 98p shop. Undercut the opposition is my business plan.

They already exist
    97p then.

My 96p shop will soon see you off
    Since all my stock comes from China using slave labour, I've checked my margins (assuming the govt will provide a cost free workforce) I will beat your 96p with the 95p shop.

• I always miss the bargains.
  • Sponsored links:

• There is an 89p shop in Ilford.

Made a killing at Christmas as bought vouchers for pound land there.
  • To fill in the gaps on this story, it appears that it was a closing down sale as the shop lease was expiring and they couldn't renew it.

At the last moment the landlord agreed to extend it and the store manager called off the sale halfway through trading hours. The problem was that the store was packed with people that'd come through the doors and filled their baskets when the "Closing down sale" signs were still up in the window. They got to the tills and the prices had doubled compared to what they expected to pay. I don't blame them for kicking-off.
  • How can a 99p item be on sale at half price be 50p? I think trading standing should be knocking on the shop door.
  • MrOneLung said:

There is an 89p shop in Ilford.

Made a killing at Christmas as bought vouchers for pound land there.

Admin - Can we get a BOOO button please
  • F-Blocker said:

To fill in the gaps on this story, it appears that it was a closing down sale as the shop lease was expiring and they couldn't renew it.

At the last moment the landlord agreed to extend it and the store manager called off the sale halfway through trading hours. The problem was that the store was packed with people that'd come through the doors and filled their baskets when the "Closing down sale" signs were still up in the window. They got to the tills and the prices had doubled compared to what they expected to pay. I don't blame them for kicking-off.

Against the law. Signs offering 50p per item are an "invitation to treat" so once the customer offered their 50p there is an implied contract.
  • I recall a fight at ikea in wembley where a disappointed shopper attacked someone who had beat him to a bargain £5 sofa, and tried to steal said seating. Not sure why they did not wait and steal a full price sofa.
  • F-Blocker said:

To fill in the gaps on this story, it appears that it was a closing down sale as the shop lease was expiring and they couldn't renew it.

Against the law. Signs offering 50p per item are an "invitation to treat" so once the customer offered their 50p there is an implied contract.
    It would not be an impled contract, it'd be an actual contract. But if the punter hadn't got to the till and handed over their 50p I don't think that the contract is completed.
  • F-Blocker said:

It would not be an impled contract, it'd be an actual contract. But if the punter hadn't got to the till and handed over their 50p I don't think that the contract is completed.
    this .. an invitation to treat is NOT a contract until 'consideration' is accepted by the offerer .. in this case 50p goes into the till
  • edited January 2014

F-Blocker said:

Common misconception but not true. An invitation to treat does not in any way create an obligation to sell. See http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/small_business/business_contracts/500564.html

Deliberate false advertising is illegal (e.g. putting up 50p signs with no intention of ever selling the items at 50p), but a change of prices due to a genuine change in circumstances like this is unlikely to be covered.

Having said all that it's incredibly poor management on behalf of the store - comparing how much they would have 'lost' from letting it run for the rest of the day, against the reputational damage and lost customers across the whole chain.
  • How can a 99p item be on sale at half price be 50p? I think trading standing should be knocking on the shop door.

Or the teachers are slacking in Wales. Oops wrong thread.