Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memories of Selhurst (EXILE YEARS)

Comments

• Options
    what?
    not even the warm mars bars bruv????

i have one nice memory. little Tom. we used to kick about a carton on the terrace before the game started.

little tom is now over six foot & sits in the east when he can, bless him.
  • Options
    Yeah from Dad's jacket pocket, what a gastronomic treat that was.

The only thing that meeting Tom and his Dad proved, is that even in life's desperate hovels, when you meet Charlton people, the world can light up, which is especially true of those two.
  • Options
    The Quarter Pounders with Cheese under the Sainsbury terrace. The 3-3 with Millwall when it kicked off in the Homesdale end after we went 0-3 down with my Dad me & Grandad all in the middle of it. The chants of Leeeburn as he went another game without scoring (Bless). The huge crowd at the time of 28,000+ for the visit of that all conquering Liverpool team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The Quarter Pounders with Cheese under the Sainsbury terrace. The 3-3 with Millwall when it kicked off in the Homesdale end after we went 0-3 down with my Dad me & Grandad all in the middle of it. The chants of Leeeburn as he went another game without scoring (Bless). The huge crowd at the time of 28,000+ for the visit of that all conquering Liverpool team.

That was my first game where I started going on my own & regularly. Cracking day. I must have travelled all over the terrace that day it was so packed. Happy days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The Quarter Pounders with Cheese under the Sainsbury terrace. The 3-3 with Millwall when it kicked off in the Homesdale end after we went 0-3 down with my Dad me & Grandad all in the middle of it. The chants of Leeeburn as he went another game without scoring (Bless).The huge crowd at the time of 28,000+ for the visit of that all conquering Liverpool team.

That was my first game where I started going on my own & regularly. Cracking day. I must have travelled all over the terrace that day it was so packed. Happy days!

I was in the Sainsbury End that Game & you could see the Holmesdale end swaying in a sea of Heads packed to the rafters..!
  • Options
    Buying my first packet of Cigs from the shop by S Norwood station.
    Being run by Oxford Utd
    trashing the football special on the way back to London Bridge
    Meeting at Garfunkels at London bridge before the game and getting served at 14!!
  • Options
    Going in Crystals?? and being taken to the balcony over looking the pitch at the back
    Sponsored walk around the outside of the pitch
    Swapping ends in the main stand so we was at the end Charlton were attacking
    my first match on the terrace sainsbury's end v liverpool R.Rosental hat trick
    Newcastle coming think 1st game of the season we won and they had 20 or so that sung the entire game
    Back to the valley game West Ham when they were everywhere
    Game v Spurs 2-2 think they brought Gazza on at half time and he run the show from the centre circle
    Beating Wimbledon Leaburn i think to give us chance of staying up, bolder saved penalty went with school and our coach had dennis wise and terry gibson in the car behind giving them grief.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Waiting for the number 75 bus home .......... and waiting ............ and waiting ........... and waiting.
    (I lived in Catford at the time - it always SHOULD have been the quickest way of getting there.)

Beating Sheff U 2-0 in the promotion season when either team could've gone top with a win (although we didn't in the end)

Lee Chapman having three "goals" ruled out in our first game in the 1st Division v Sheff Weds.

Robert Lee going off a few minutes into a game (god knows who against - Huddersfield?) because he'd lost a contact lens.

Seeing David Pleat in the crowd when we beat Man City 5-0 and shouting "you're next" (we lost to Spurs in the next game!)

Getting a smack off Brighton once after leaving the Cherry Trees on the way to the game - 6 onto 2, VERY brave! (I didn't go down though - and still gave it plenty of verbal after!)

That geezer who used to dress up in the armour and walk around the pitch with a sword!
  • Options
    Miss Charlton

how excruciatingly painful was that!!!!!!?????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Miss Charlton

how excruciatingly painful was that!!!!!!?????

Wouldn't get away with that, these days, would they??

I think I've blanked out most of the Selhurst games - I can remember ones at The Valley before and after much more vividly. Or maybe it's because I was a student during most of those years so was usually a bit the worse for wear.

Do remember the Kettering match, though - first date with Mr Weegie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm sure there was a big thing about Kettering bringing 8,000 fans and the possibility we might get outnumbered. Wasn't the official attendance given as 16,001 ???
  • Options
    Selhurst.........

Well that was were I was mascot against millwall with Mr Bolder being stand in captain for Shirtliff, got to admit it was a massive thrill to meet all the boys, humphrey, reid, thompson, and the like... remeber loads, a few that have been mentioned like Jim Melrose goal against leeds and mortimers cracker against Chelsea, I remeber seeing my dad swearing for the first time when we snatched a draw against Newcastle 2-2 with rob lee scoring a cracker in the last minute with a half volley(he was swearing at the geordies), and the brazilian player Ronaldinhioho or something, and leaburn hitting the post only for spurs to go down the other end and score with Paul allen, I remeber andy jones wacking it into the stand and pretending there was a divet... 3-0 Derby, willo, Kenny Achampong missing, crystals, covering some poor bloke in his own coffee running back up the steps when david whyte chipped his second against Bristol... walking round the pitch loads of time for sponsor money as a junior red...

meeting Mark Stuart at one of those open days, and curbs...

giving Lennie a standing ovation even though we had lost about 5 in row....

Loads!!

I remeber the kettering match as well... rob lee scored one of his trade mark back to goal on the corner of the box turn and shoot....

great crowd they brought that day....
  • Options
    Yes, it was 16,001 - it was my first trip to Selhurst, so naturally I thought the 1 was me.
  • Options
    Not missing a top flight match or (full members thingy) at selhurst.

The Leeds Play off semi and their mexican waves.

Banter between us and Palace when we were in a box in the sainsburys end, another lifer almost being ejected by stewards as a result.

Micky Bennett blasting down the wing to croos for a Paul Williams goal against Everton.

Getting Bob Paisleys autograph after a Liverpool game (He'd retired by then but still went to the matches)

Having the clubs offices in portacabins instead of the main building.

Wondering if Charlton's logo would ever be placed above or alongside Palaces on the back of the main stand.

The Clifton Arms.

Arriving 1.5 hours before kick off to make sure I could get into Sainsburys car park

Bobby Gould trying to console me after Wimbledon had finally relegated us.

A friend from Scotland thinking Amos was brilliant against Man Utd on one of his rare visits to London

Always baiting Mark Ward when we played the Hammers.

Seeing a shot from Steve McKenzie (I think) hit both posts and rebound into the Coventry goalkeeper arms

'Let's go home' and the birth of Voice of the Valley.

Being able to smell Michael Grade's cigars from ten rows in front of me.

Singing 'We'll never play you again' from the Arthur Waite the year they got relegated.
  • Options
    Beating Norwich 1-0 during the promotion season. I remember thinking before the game, if we win this I really think it'll be game on for promotion.

The Wimbledon "promotion" celebration game. Odd feeling, promotion but not at the Valley. Not much of a game. Fashanu and co looking tough and difficult to beat.

Citeh 5-0. Amazing

Jimmy Melrose's hat-trick. How good was he?

Standing in the Holmesdale against Arsenal . (wet and cold).

Discovering a fool proof route from Bromley to near Norwood Junction, where you could actually find a parking space, walk ten minutes to the ground and get away sharpish at the end of the game

The play off final against Leeds. Their moronic chanting.

The "back to the Valley" game against the Hamsters. How many did they bring?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Jimmy Melrose's hat-trick. How good was he?

quote]

I was just bloody brilliant.
  • Options
    i was a ball boy that day !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

I was just bloody brilliant.

What a hairdo as well.
  • Options
    I remeber the both posts Mckenzie one....... dire game 0-0m coventry..

remember when we drew with Arsenal( i think it was a draw) boxing day, when he scored one of his knee.....
  • Options
    The ONLY good thing about Selhurst was the chinese chippy behind the Sainsburys end.

Oh and the kickabouts we used to have at half time underneath the Sainsburys end, they used to be a good laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hi all! ..just googled 'steve mackenzie' and a few others as i'd been wondering about all the old players etc.. and this thread came up!! great site..

i have to admit to having fond memories of the 'parkhurst' years as i only lived a 10 minute walk away from the ground (and didn't end up supporting palace).

went with my mate who already supported the reds.. stories of jim melrose and a copy of the leeds play-off final on video (mervyn day in goal): 'that's the gooooal.. etc..' got me interested and i went to my first match which was the 3-0 v derby ..peter shilton in goal!! and then the next one i went to.. 3-0 against chelsea.. if memory serves.
    needless to say.. i was hooked.

in no particular order and a possibly dodgy memory involved:

the young scott minto..

john humphrey running like he'd got off a horse..

a young david james practising endless goal kicks pre-match for watford..

gascoigne curling one past bob bolder and us standing right behind it..

colin walsh scoring a great free kick against palace but i think we still lost.. (2-1?)

andy peake's 'rocket'..

steve mackenzie banging one in just as we were leaving (v southampton?) i think 1-4 scoreline

'help lennie buy a player' ..and then he buggered off..

and getting tommy caton's autograph at a pre-season open day.

nice one!
  • Options
    welcome to the site Matt.

Was the Derby 3-0 one near the end of the season, confirming we were staying up ??
  • Options
    yes, i believe it was the 'staying up' game.. and then the first game of the next season v chelsea (89-90)

i have the memory that they were both 3-0 but i honestly can't be sure.

cheers for the welcome, appreciated!
  • Options
    i was in a Woolwich box for the Derby game, and we gave a lift home to Steve Sutherland.

Strange the things you remember....
  • Options
    aah.. steve 'sunderland'...

strange memories indeed.. some of the previous posts cracked me up.. things i'd forgotten like the 'blaming the divot' shot etc.. classic excuse for a fluffed shot!
  • Options
    'a young david james practising endless goal kicks pre-match for watford..'

I remeber that and he got a couple in!
  • Options
    'Andy Peake's rocket'

Only actually remember seeing it once, in the second to last home game at Selhurst, against Newcastle.

THink it was the only goal of the game.
  • Options
    I just hated the place, all the good memories have come since we've left.

Bow's goal in 1-1 there
    Bowyer and Garland running it against Wimbledon in the Cup
    Rommedahl in the last minute
    that fat bird getting dogs abuse at HT in the Championship season
    Paul Kitson sliding in to score the winner
  • Options
    me and me mates paying a pound to get in cos me dad's mate worked on the turnistile.

everton in the cup.

away supports so small they put them in with us.

buying the programme!

someone we knew asking a millwall fan for his hat back with predictable consequences, then asking the fella in the hardwear shop to fix his glasses.

the plymouth farmer/goalkeeper's amazing clean sheet.

gordon watson's brother's jacket.
  • Options
    A preseason against Pisa with a programme that was a total of 4 pages long........