Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell admits he can't stop Celtic interest in his players

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/10958465.Powell_admits_he_can_t_stop_Celtic_interest_in_his_players/

CHRIS Powell says there is nothing he can do to stop Celtic being linked with any of his players after Neil Lennon went to watch Charlton’s midweek win at Oxford.

Reports north of the border claimed the Hoops boss was reportedly keeping tabs on defender Michael Morrison and striker Yann Kermorgant, who certainly caught the eye with a brace in the 3-0 success at the Kassam Stadium.

Both players are out of contract at the end of the season and can potentially agree and negotiate summer moves now, so this month’s transfer window is the final opportunity for the Addicks to command a fee for any of their soon to be free agents should they depart in January.

The loss of French forward Kermorgant would certainly come as a blow to Charlton as Powell admitted, although he knows the speculation is inevitable bearing in mind the club’s circumstances.

He said: “I was told yesterday that Neil Lennon was at the game.

“I can’t stop people going to watch a game and watching our players.

“We are always vulnerable, every club is I suppose apart from Chelsea or Man City.

“Whether it is Yann or any of the other players that have made their mark and an impression on other people, I’ll be lying if I was sitting here saying ‘Great, that’s fine’.

“I want him (Kermorgant) to stay here, especially with what we are going to go through in the second half of the season, but I can’t ever stop people coming to watch games or speculation being put in the press.”

Comments

• Options
    If we offered a decent contract and they signed it, thay might calm things down a tad.
  • Options
    just shows how broke Celtic are if they are looking at any of our players.
  • Options
    Chris should have repsonded by stating how many other team games he or CAFC scouts have been at recently. They're all at it all the time.
  • Options
    I think Celtic are doing a cunning plan. With no Rangers and playing in a pub league that guarantees a pop at The Champions League their board seems to be cutting its cloth to fit,the group stages seem to be the aim and pocketing the profits.Whether the profits will ploughed back in to the team or line the directors pockets it remains to be seen.The Celtic fans however are not happy,as deluded as ever they think they should be winning the CL !!!!
  • Options
    msomerton said:

just shows how broke Celtic are if they are looking at any of our players.

Which I do not understand. They get money for each and every game in the UCL, and the group stage participation is esepcially lucrative. Then there's the 60k gates they had for some of those games...

• Options
    Thats all they want,group stage,coin it in.
  • Options
    why don't they just waste a load of money and buy some expensive players and rack up some debts

• Options
    DRF said:

Chris should have repsonded by stating how many other team games he or CAFC scouts have been at recently. They're all at it all the time.

Maybe so, but the first team manager doesn't make a trip from Scotland to Oxford and back without some real purpose behind it.
  • Options
    richie8 said:

I think Celtic are doing a cunning plan. With no Rangers and playing in a pub league that guarantees a pop at The Champions League their board seems to be cutting its cloth to fit,the group stages seem to be the aim and pocketing the profits.Whether the profits will ploughed back in to the team or line the directors pockets it remains to be seen.The Celtic fans however are not happy,as deluded as ever they think they should be winning the CL !!!!

Really? one's I know which is quite a lot would just like a bit higher percentage of profit on players like Wanyama and Hooper put back into the team.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fans are rightly raging about it and want to see the money spent on the team.I live and work in the West of Scotland where Old Firm football is the main topic of conversation and it seems that money is not being spent to take the team where the fans would like to see them.I can see where the CE is coming from as he doesn't want to spend money on winning the league by even more.I think the Celtic fans are concerned that the money is leaving the club and not being put by for players in the future
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    In all honesty, looking at it objectively, Yann would be mad to turn them down.

His family is settled down here and he is obviously adored at the Valley, but it's pretty unlikely we'll be playing Premiership football before Yann is past his best. He's been a late bloomer, but at 32 probably only has a couple more years at his peak (if that) and he doesn't appear to treat his body like a temple (at least not when he's filling his face in the close season!). It's a short career, even more so for Yann after his childhood illness etc - if I was his mate I'd be advising him to go and play Champions League football and take a pay rise for his last big contract. He'd tear that league up too and I think with better players around him he could do an even better job than he does here .

As a Charlton fan though, and a big Yann admirer at that, I really hope he sees out his career with us because he'd be bloody tough to replace.
  • Options
    richie8 said:

The fans are rightly raging about it and want to see the money spent on the team.I live and work in the West of Scotland where Old Firm football is the main topic of conversation and it seems that money is not being spent to take the team where the fans would like to see them.I can see where the CE is coming from as he doesn't want to spend money on winning the league by even more.I think the Celtic fans are concerned that the money is leaving the club and not being put by for players in the future

Family and friends up there and as said concerned that not enough is being spent, also agree with you though, they are doing the right thing. It will be more interesting and the one's your talking about may have a point if when The Ranger's eventually get up to the SPL that they still spend as little as they currently are.

Back to Yann, would be devestated i Yann was to leave especially in this window. I honestly think we don't have a chance of survival without him. Although Celtic would be only team I could still see him play and think if offered he'd be mad not to go.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This situation is so worrying.If the board doesn't (plan to) strengthen the squad in this window,then we can only rely on our current players.So there's no doubt we'll need them to stay here,otherwise there will be a real relegation danger ahead.But the big dilemma is that their contracts will only be sorted when SCP's is sorted.If M. Duchatelet determines to delay the contract talk re SCP till the end of season,it's understandable but it will cast a cloud over the second half of the season and with all the contract issues still unsolved,I'm not sure how many of our key players will be gone by the window's closed,and how many of the remaining players will give their 100% to fight for our Championship status.If it does turn out that badly,ie Yann,Stephens and others leaving,no major reinforcements/replacements in our squad,players not given contract extentions,then there's a big possibility that we'll be relegated and SCP will be fired......Maybe I'm thinking too much but IF the board has already decided not to spend much in this window then the first thing they should do IMO is offer a new contract to SCP ASAP,then there comes the possibility of successfully keeping our main players and stay in the Championship.

PS.Sorry for my rambling.I'm secretly typing all this at work (which is obviously not allowed).Just really worried about our club's near future......
  • Options
    If they go Septic, I'll never talk to either of em again
  • Options
    This could be 2+2=5 but Neil Lennon in talksport studios this morning which i believe is in SE1
  • Options
    Tell Lennon that Yann fancies his Mrs or something,or anything as I agree we are more than likely goosed with out him.
  • Options
    We can also look at this and the rest of the month as a barometer as to where our club is going. It could be positive, it could be negative. We are of course anxiously waiting to see what way it goes.
  • Options
    this is a bit like saying that I can't stop my wife's interest in spending all of my money .. but .. it aint necessarily gonna happen
  • Options
    cafctom said:

DRF said:

Maybe so, but the first team manager doesn't make a trip from Scotland to Oxford and back without some real purpose behind it.
    He does when there is absolutley no point in looking at teams in lower Scottish divisons.

And I don't imagine any scout ever goes to any game without some purpose. They're not going for fun are they?