Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2016 Rule Change

This sounds stupid to me surely the hosts can arrange their own friendly's if they want

Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose 17m
Another rule change from UEFA ahead of Euro 2016 in France.France will be the first host nation to take part in a Championships qual phase.

Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose 16m
France will still automatically qualify as hosts, but their group-stage games will serve as friendlies where no points will be awarded.

Comments

• Options
    That is absolutely ridiculous. What purpose does it possibly serve?! Reads like an April Fool's joke.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

That is absolutely ridiculous. What purpose does it possibly serve?! Reads like an April Fool's joke.

this: Just a money spinner and a way of keeping the French players on the boil dreamed up by Platini, who is of course .... French ..
  • Options
    Ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    When Platini came in I couldn't have guessed that he'd be this bad
  • Options

MrLargo said:

this: Just a money spinner and a way of keeping the French players on the boil dreamed up by Platini, who is of course .... French ..
    Spot on. If you're going to fix something try not to be so fucking obvious

What next - Switzerland are announced as the next world up winner already - all game in the tournament will be for shits and giggles

Corrupt is not the word! And don't get me started on Jack Warner

• Options
    Platini Frog aid.
  • Options
    So if there's no points at stake, what's in it for the opposition? What's to stop them just playing a weaker side?
  • Options
    Stupid.
  • Options

So if there's no points at stake, what's in it for the opposition? What's to stop them just playing a weaker side?

More importantly, would France take the spot of a seeded team in the group?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's so ridiculous that I doubt for one minute it's going to happen .
  • Options
    didn't they announce this at the draw back in December?

makes sense to me. There is an odd number of teams in the group. This way all the other teams get a friendly when they would have been off, the small teams get a fairly big opponent to play, the hosts get to play games.
  • Options
    Firstly, there is always one group with 1 team short.
    PLUS....who are France expected to play friendlies against when every other European team are playing qualifiers?
    (obviously teams from other continents but that would mean playing no European teams in the 2 years leading up to a European tournament)

Not the worst idea IMO
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I don't get why people find it so ridiculous?

Makes sense as they won't effectively be in the group, they just play whoever in that group has a free fixture.
  • Options

PLUS....who are France expected to play friendlies against when every other European team are playing qualifiers?
    (obviously teams from other continents but that would mean playing no European teams in the 2 years leading up to a European tournament)

Not the worst idea IMO

Agreed... Also whenever a team goes in to host a major competition they slip right down the rankings because they're not playing consistantly so for example Brazil have been about 20th in the World because they've only played in two years
  • Options
    It's gone silly enough already with 24 countries now in the finals.
  • Options

As hosts they'll already be seeded so nothing changes in that respect.
  • Options

Not the worst idea IMO

Agreed... Also whenever a team goes in to host a major competition they slip right down the rankings because they're not playing consistantly so for example Brazil have been about 20th in the World because they've only played in two years
    Get rid of the ridiculous ranking system then.
  • Options

As hosts they'll already be seeded so nothing changes in that respect.
    Think Stu meant in the qualifying group for instance with France now entering if we are low enough in the rankings we could be in a group with Germany or Spain just to qualify
  • Options
    Suppose England and Ukraine end up in Fremch group and Ukraine need to draw to qualify in their last game against France, do you think France would put out their strongest side and more importantly would they try to avoid injury (like man utd when they lost 1-0 to West Ham in order for for them to stay up)
    It is in my opinion a farce.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Suppose England and Ukraine end up in Fremch group and Ukraine need to draw to qualify in their last game against France, do you think France would put out their strongest side and more importantly would they try to avoid injury (like man utd when they lost 1-0 to West Ham in order for for them to stay up)

Unless I'm mistaken no points would be awarded in the hypothetical France v Ukraine game so not sure the comparison stands up ?

Doesn't seem too ridiculous - they aren't really in the group - they're just playing friendlies against the team that would be without an opponent on a given match day due to an odd number of teams in their group.

The more surprising thing is that the French FA are up for it rather than taking the opportunity to go on a lucrative 2 year globe trotting adventure playing friendlies against South American teams in odd places.
  • Options

No. Points. Will. Be. Awarded.

They could put their ladies team out, you're outraged because you can't understand it.
  • Options
    Ok soz,, understoos, didnt read it all about no points.
    Dope
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Unless I'm mistaken no points would be awarded in the hypothetical France v Ukraine game so not sure the comparison stands up ?

Doesn't seem too ridiculous - they aren't really in the group - they're just playing friendlies against the team that would be without an opponent on a given match day due to an odd number of teams in their group.

The more surprising thing is that the French FA are up for it rather than taking the opportunity to go on a lucrative 2 year globe trotting adventure playing friendlies against South American teams in odd places.

Very much this.
    Host nations, do well in tournaments if they are a major nation. It gives them order, playing these games but. The opponent might not even be challenging. ( Albania, Scotland, Luxembourg). Would cost them a lot of money to be made.

Either way the French must be delighted, there just going to be able to qualify. Without needing to cheat or performance come back results in the play offs.
  • Options
    Forget all the 'France in a group' stuff.

Just think of it that France will play friendlies against the team that are free that week from the group with only 5 teams.

If they had just said that to begin with I don't think there would be so much fuss.
  • Options
    At various times during the competition's history there have been odd numbers competing, and three times we have had joint hosts, where both qualify as right and that never seemed to upset the applecart? It's just a bit "odd" that this particular new initiative just happens to pop up when France are hosting ( for the third time - although 1960 was very different, I grant you ) and the top bod at UEFA happens to be a Frenchman...

That said, I do agree that it's not a big advantage for them, as long as the games do not suddenly count as equal to a competitive game when working out the rankings.

As for lucrative friendlies? Well I am not sure that France v Colombia would quite have the appeal of Brazil v Germany in a far flung venue, wherever that may be?
  • Options

What about Scotland? The euro 2016 is a conpetition for the nations of Europe. If Scotland vote against nationhood in the referendum, this must be respected by UEFA and the scotch not be allowed to take part.

In which case by that logic neither can England, Wales or Northern Ireland : - )

• Options

What about Scotland? The euro 2016 is a conpetition for the nations of Europe. If Scotland vote against nationhood in the referendum, this must be respected by UEFA and the scotch not be allowed to take part.

Scotland is already a country; that's not what the referendum is about.
  • Options

I'm worried. Are you of voting age?? ;-/