Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southampton v Charlton - FA Youth Cup - Wednesday 29 January

Comments

• Options
    Red Robo, get down Sparrows Lane and enjoy with the few of us that peer into our future. Joe Gomez a full England international in waiting.
  • Options
    Really enjoyable
  • Options

Quite incredible the contrast between the quick passing of the U18s and the hoofball employed by the first team.

Yeah, that poxy hoofball winner at Huddersfield is a good example.

• Options

Red Robo, get down Sparrows Lane and enjoy with the few of us that peer into our future. Joe Gomez a full England international in waiting.

have to say, Gomez looked completely unflustered and cool the whole 90 minutes with some great passes for a centre half.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Quite incredible the contrast between the quick passing of the U18s and the hoofball employed by the first team.

Yeah, that poxy hoofball winner at Huddersfield is a good example.

Aren't many other examples though!

• Options
    Really enjoyed that Charlton performance. Something to smile about at last today. Nice passing football on a lovely green pitch. Good positional play and calmness on the ball. Not seen that for some time at the Valley. The contrast with the first team is very marked.

The commentator was not taking the Charlton victory well. Great second and third goals. Calmly saw the game out and no sign of any panic.

Well done to the Youth team that cheered up my day and reminded what a great youth set up the club has.
  • Options

I have been saying that for a while. A real tonic on a shit day for Charlton. Well done to the yoof.
  • Options

May just do that. Refreshing the way they tried to take defence on and some of the first touches were sublime.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Redrobo said:

Wish we would put our youth games on u tube. I enjoyed that.

Agree, was great. Fired it through AppleTV to watch on big screen.

Fuckin show off
  • Options
    Stop slagging of the youth
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

May just do that. Refreshing the way they tried to take defence on and some of the first touches were sublime.
    Under 21's playing friendly v Luton next Tuesday (4th). 1.30pm kick off
  • Options
    WSS said:

Stop slagging of the youth

I'm really going to get into them against Arsenal
  • Options
    Was at the game this evening. Very decent performance from our lads I thought. Went with a few Saints fans who agreed that we were the better team. Apart from one who just said it was a shit game with shit teams but he was just a miserable git! Enjoyed watching a passing game for once this evening. There are certainly some stars for the future in amongst our kids.
  • Options
    Let's hope we can hold of some of these stars of the future. Much better than Southampton tonight The futures bright, the futures red n white
  • Options
    Arsenal in the next round, no doubt they'll nick our best player afterwards like Chelsea did last year.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Arsenal in the next round, no doubt they'll nick our best player afterwards like Chelsea did last year.

Ahh, me thinks Roland has a cunning plan to send our youth abroad and out of their reaches. Level 1 can sod off.
  • Options
    I went tonight and very impressed. About 30-50 charlton fans there. Good passing football and no hoofing. Our players were very happy to play the ball out from defence. I've watched a few saints youth sides with Walcott and Bale in over the years and none of the saints side looked capable of being the next off the production line. However we had a few players with a lot of potential.

Gomez looked in control at the back, our two front players looked pacey and had the better of the defence (numbers 9 & 11). Number 10 filled the gap between strikers and midfield well. But for me number 7 was the best on the pitch. He was my man of the match (sorry don't know the names).

You have to give a lot of credit to Paul Hart and his staff for some nice flowing football and on the ground. Lots of nice flicks and short direct passing. Big fan of Powell but maybe he could get a few tips from watching the youth team.

Worst performer on the pitch...the ref. A few weak yellow cards to our team and a strange back pass decision.

The guy a few rows in front of me was the highlight of the night. I think he was number 11s dad. So much passion for not only his kid but also the whole team. Cheered them all on by himself. Towards the end the stewards came over and told him to unnecessarily calm down and sit down. That was the only sour moment - the poor stewarding. However he was the one in the crowd shouting support and during the second goal celebration even fell down a few rows! He should come to a few 1st team games to bring that passion along!
  • Options
    Great news for the U18's well done lads
  • Options
    7 was Holmes-Dennis, fortunately already on a pro contract, signed a 3 year deal earlier this season.

10 was Ahearne-Grant, u16 striker that was top scorer for the u18s last season as an u15.

Umerah and Hanlan were 9 and 11.

Enjoy watching Gomez get on the ball in defence, very comfortable with it and although it doesn't always come off he's always looking to pass the ball out. Hope we get him signed up on a long term pro deal once he turns 17.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Did we win?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant stuff, lads !

RD will be pleased with his potential first team ...
  • Options
    Do you think Bournemouth might be interested in buying them?
  • Options
    V comfortably H
  • Options
    Joe gomez. That kid is a future premier league player. I've seen the kid play a number of times and impresses me even more each game.
    Future charlton captain if he manages to stick around long enough.
  • Options
    well done lads
  • Options
    Thought we was top class tonight, Happy to let Southampton have the ball and once they scored we showed the class we have.

Though Umerah took his goal superbly, that was some turn and finnish!
  • Options
    I know they streamed this live on YouTube, but I missed it. Anyone find a link of the recording?
  • Options

They might well be the 1st team if Roland gets rid, he still has a couple of days to complete the plan.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

7 was Holmes-Dennis, fortunately already on a pro contract, signed a 3 year deal earlier this season.

10 was Ahearne-Grant, u16 striker that was top scorer for the u18s last season as an u15.

Umerah and Hanlan were 9 and 11.

Enjoy watching Gomez get on the ball in defence, very comfortable with it and although it doesn't always come off he's always looking to pass the ball out. Hope we get him signed up on a long term pro deal once he turns 17.

He'll be off soon then