Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If Yann were to leave us today..

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
would he be considered a Charlton Legend in your eyes?

For me it's a definate yes!

Comments

• Options
    Cult hero, not a legend.
  • Options

Cult hero, not a legend.

Agree. Cult hero is a better term for it.
  • Options
    Yes for me, I fear for us if he does leave though I'd rather lose him for nothing in the summer than sell him now.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    To be in the 'legend' category he'd have to be up there with Seed, Bartram, Hales, Peacock, Curbishley to name but a few. So it's a 'No' from me but is he a cult hero and do I have man love for him, most certainly.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

To be in the 'legend' category he'd have to be up there with Seed, Bartram, Hales, Peacock, Curbishley to name but a few. So it's a 'No' from me but is he a cult hero and do I have man love for him, most certainly.

So by that logic I am guessing our very own Mr Chris Powell is another of the cult heroes but not quite legendary? Not a dig, genuinely curious. For my own part, Kermorgant is sadly not a legend of the calibre of those you mention, but he's the closest we've had for a while now. He'll be one of my favourite Charlton players for sure - I'm a bit too young to remember the 'glory days'... such as they were.
  • Options
    Legend in my eyes along with Powell.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Legend in my eyes along with Powell.

Ditto
  • Options
    Cult hero, a bloody big one too.
  • Options
    yes, because nobody else stood up to be counted when he did
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cult hero. Probably the best free transfer for many years and Powell's best piece of business.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    thenewbie said:

RedChaser said:

So by that logic I am guessing our very own Mr Chris Powell is another of the cult heroes but not quite legendary? Not a dig, genuinely curious. For my own part, Kermorgant is sadly not a legend of the calibre of those you mention, but he's the closest we've had for a while now. He'll be one of my favourite Charlton players for sure - I'm a bit too young to remember the 'glory days'... such as they were.
    Fair question @thenewbie but in my examples I did say 'to name but a few'.

It all depends how you regard a person as being legendary I suppose. We have had this debate on here before and a view was taken, which I tend to share, that a person's status increases with time and only when his association with the club is over (albeit Peacock is still involved) can you pigeon hole them IMO.

There was a survey on here the other day by Stig asking us to list in order the 15 or so most important people in the history of the club from a given list. CP, who I also have much man love for is borderline legendary for me at this point in time, was in that list but I had him in the bottom 5 along with Mendonca and Bartram below the likes of Seed, Curbishley and Lawrence. My reason being that managerial achievements will have greater impact on a club than those of any one in individual player over a longer period of time.

Yann (only in his 3rd season with us and not in Stig's list by the way) is everything you would want from a player wearing our shirt, the pride, passion, grit, determination, never say die attitude, the plaudits go on and on. CP (just celebrated his 3rd anniversary as manager) has taken us back to the 2nd tier of English football and restored our pride after a distinguished playing career. I'll probably elevate both of them to legendary status one day FWIIW and keeping us up this year will sway me for sure in CP's case. Others will already have them there. Promotion to the prem next season will most certainly seal the deal and here's hoping they are both still with us on that journey :-) COYR.
  • Options
    What if he scores a last minute winner at the Den in March?

I think that would elevate him into legendary status as its unlikely to happen again for decades.
  • Options

What if he scores a last minute winner at the Den in March?

I think that would elevate him into legendary status as its unlikely to happen again for decades.

Any Charlton player is a legend if they score at the New Den!

• Options

Cult hero. Probably the best free transfer for many years and Powell's best piece of business.

agreed. I'd put him along side Andy Hunt cult hero not Mendonca legend

• Options
    Not even close I'm afraid. Love the blokes commitment and probably our most important player currently but not been here long enough for starters.
  • Options
    Cult Hero
  • Options
    Love yann and hope he stays. Defo cult hero. Come on yann, please sign up.
  • Options
    Yes, and would never give him anything but applause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    http://i.minus.com/ijqEAHBj0Ym7p.gif

THAT goal against Coventry. I know this thread is about Kermit but I don't think he'd mind sharing this.

Just out of interest the team that day:

Weaver, Halford, Bougherra, McCarthy, Basey (Iwelumo 70), Thomas (Wagstaff 64), Holland, Shevley (Powell 84), Youga, Varney, Gray.

I'd take Halford for CB/RB, Randolph, McCarthy, Thomas and Jonjo. The rest wouldn't get near the team.
  • Options
    Been one of the better players in a period of lower 2nd tier / 3rd tier football.

A different character to what we are used to.

Score a winner at The Den and give it a Cantona style pose, and then we'll thinking about calling the Legend Committee into session.
  • Options
    As a relatively young supporter compared to most for me Powell and Kermorgant are legends and will be my benchmark when it comes to choosing future legends.

For me Yann is a legend because we could have players who score many more goals than him, but I would still love him more because of his determination and his love for the charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Yann is a cult hero, will be a legend if he stays and helps us out of the Championship into the Premiership !
  • Options
    He's going nowhere.
  • Options

He's going nowhere.

Nowhere to be seen today.
  • Options
    Not a legend. I agree with AFKA
  • Options
    FOG
  • Options
    Pedantic question: Wasn't it Mendieta that CP nutmegged?
  • Options
    He's definitely a cult hero...

If he were to go on and score a hat-trick in a Play-Off final or single-handily win us a match 4-3 (after being 3-0 down) in an important fixture then I'd class him as a legend (not just for those two things mentioned but because of on top of what he's done with us)