Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cup run - help or a hindrance?

Taking out the fan excitement of an FA Cup run for a moment, is a cup run a help or a hindrance to us in our fight for safety?

After sending a relatively disappointed text to my Dad about the cup draw, I received one back saying that he didn't care as the cup is distraction from our main aim, staying up.

While I argued the point that an away win, a goal for Simon Church and a clean sheet cannot be considered a bad thing, is he right to be concerned about it distracting us from our fight against relegation? Or will a good run help to boost confidence and get the boys firing against all comers?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if it helps or hinders but i personally love the fa cup, the best we can aim for is championship safety (i know that's good) so surely have a pop at the cup. Especially as Wednesday is winnable.
  • Options
    It's a bit of extra cash that the team has earned & may be given to SCP to fund a loan
  • Options
    help .. lots of ££o££y and a run is good for team and fan morale
  • Options
    Definitely not a hindrance. We're a football club and we are there to play football. The more games the better.
  • Options
    If we go to a replay we'll have to rearrange the Barnsley game.

Bournemouth home game yet to be rearranged and if we go through to the 6th round the Watford game will also need to be rearranged. That's pretty much every Tuesday until the end of the season we'll need a few more Liege loanees to help out the squad
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Actually the extra revenue from a Cup run is not to be sniffed at in our position. There is quite an interesting article about it on the Trust website.

http://www.castrust.org/2014/01/time-to-prioritise-the-fa-cup/
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    tricky said:

Taking out the fan excitement of an FA Cup run for a moment, is a cup run a help or a hindrance to us in our fight for safety?

After sending a relatively disappointed text to my Dad about the cup draw, I received one back saying that he didn't care as the cup is distraction from our main aim, staying up.

While I argued the point that an away win, a goal for Simon Church and a clean sheet cannot be considered a bad thing, is he right to be concerned about it distracting us from our fight against relegation? Or will a good run help to boost confidence and get the boys firing against all comers?

Only time will tell @tricky but for me wins breed confidence and we have had the opportunity to blood a few newbies, so whilst we are are now in the bottom three, results in the league are beyond our control and with two home games in hand (I know points the bag are better than games in hand) I am glad we are in the 5th round. Believe, keep the faith and tell your Dad one of his peers disagrees with him :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent post Stig.
  • Options
    The cup, this season anyway, is a hindrance.
    League games get called off, other teams play and gain points and we fall further behind.
    Having said that, I am going to totally contradict myself here...................we get relegated but win the FA Cup, that I would settle for.
  • Options
    Stig said:

tricky said:

Why take out fan excitement? If you take out fan excitement, football is nothing. If there's nothing to get excited about it's just a humdrum string of boring, repetitive, meaningless, happenings.

And what is this "safety" that you talk about? Will someone die if we drop down a division? Will we all need a hospital check-up in case we've contracted a bad case of maingy metatarsals? No and no? Will the club suddenly cease to be? No. Will we all find ourselves over Charlton Park watching AFC Charlton (2015) playing out depressing water-logged matches in the East Greenwich Junior Parks League? No. The consequences of dropping down a division are that we play in a lower division for a season or two, and possibly a season or two more. Despite years of being told by money-obsessed suits that relegation is the end of the world, it isn't. Despite what people may think, clubs do stop functioning because the have to play Sheffield Utd twice a season instead of Sheffield Wednesday. We might just as easily talk about safety in the cup: Lets forget about Wigan. If we lose to them, there's still another eighteen fixtures in which to safeguard our league standing. Facing The Owls though, that's a one-off. Lose that and our cup-safety is completely and utterly compromised. Lose and we are dead meat. But win and we are up there with the top of the footballing food chain.

Excitement. That's where it's at. And the cup offers precisely that; the chance to play exiting new teams like Huddersfield and Wednesday instead of the same teams we always face in the league. It may only be the Wendies now, but in the next round we could have a really glamorous fixture. And the round after that we'd be at Wembley.

The cup is far more important than the league. No matter how slim, the cup is our only chance of silverware this season. The only chance of glory. The only chance for our team to be immortalised. So let's forget all the boring nonsense that is league football; that's nothing but a hindrance. Let's spur Charlton on to something truly great, a massive massive win in the Massive's own back yard. Nothing is more important.
    it's that massive we had less than 6,000 for the Oxford home game
  • Options
    In the league we're playing for survival, in the cup we're playing for glory!

Having said that, who here wants League 1 football again? If we knew that survival was guaranteed, even by a single point or goal difference, we could go all out for the cup.
  • Options
    The boost to confidence of 2 wins in a week, with 2 clean sheets might be helpful to our league campaign as well
  • Options
    I think we have some good players and too good to be where we are in the league. For that reason a cup run will bring confidence and is very positive. Charlton don't really do cups, so the law of averages suggests this might be an interesting year in that respect. It had to happen some time!
  • Options
    We're long overdue a good cup run , i'm well up for this one.
  • Options
    So far this season has promised to be in the best case scenario very disapointing to worst case scenario disastrous and we go down, lets just say we beat the Wendies and get a great day out in the QF at City or Arsenal, beat Milwall away and get to celebrate staying up with a weekend in Blackpool, so I am getting carried away with the victory at the Den part but if the above does happen it could well be a vintage year and the cup run would be a huge part of that.
  • Options
    I think the two wins over the last week have been a good thing plus, as Len points out, using up two of Wiggins' days out of action. I think Cup runs only become a distraction when you have a big tie. I have no evidence for this but I feel that teams do become distracted if they have Manchester United at home (or similar) on Cup Saturday with Tranmere away on the Tuesday night before or afterwards. Similarly, semi finals become high profile and can be a distraction. I think Sheffield Wednesday away is just like another game and will not attract too much attention or be a distraction. The only slight risk is that extra games mean the extra risk of red/yellow cards. Hopefully, that will not be an issue.
  • Options
    Up to now, no problem. But if the 6th round beckons, I think players, however much they might deny it, will start thinking that a Wembley Final appearance is looking a possibility for the one and only time in their careers. That must take some of the focus away from day-to-day league performances which can only be a bad thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Winning breeds confidence so i don't see how a cup run can be a bad thing. Plus it's giving some players game time who might not necessarily be getting a run out. In the past week we've given run outs to Poyet and Lennon, so this can only be good for us.
  • Options
    You can only tell at the end of the season whether the cup is good or bad for a team. Personally I love it and hope we go far in the cup, I'm sure Wigan look back on last season as the year they won the cup rather than the year they got relegated.
    The ideal would be to get impetus from a good cup run, to go out - if we do - without a thrashing from such as citeh.
    When Johnnie goes up to lift the FA Cup, we'll be there, we'll be there!!!!!
  • Options

Winning breeds confidence so i don't see how a cup run can be a bad thing. Plus it's giving some players game time who might not necessarily be getting a run out. In the past week we've given run outs to Poyet and Lennon, so this can only be good for us.

It will also do Chris"s chance of a new contract a power of good .
  • Options
    I'd take relegation if we won the cup.
  • Options

Did not see much confidence at Doncaster last night