Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting ahead of ourselves thread #3,421 : Charlton in an FA cup semi-final

Just imagine if we beat the massives then somehow blag our way past (most likely) a prem team in the quarters and end up in a semi final at Wembley. 30K Charlton fans at Wembley?

Comments

• Options
    Charlton v Sunderland - Semi-final - Wembley
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Don't do it to yourself, you know how it ends.

By the way, if Man City/Chelsea, Arsenal/Liverpool and Everton all make it through to the semis and qualify for Europe through their league position, I think it's possible that we get into the Europa League next season just by qualifying for semi-final after the comprehensive victory over Wednesday in round 5 and our nailbiting penalty shoot-out win of Fulham/Sheff U/Preston/Forest in the Quarters.
  • Options
    Well you've just jinxed it.
  • Options
    Surely if we get past the Massives we'll get Wigan away as the only other northern team playing in white and blue stripes still in it?
  • Options

Can I be the first to moan about the way the tickets have been allocated.

As our average attendance is lower then what our allocation at Wembley would be (35K ish?) I think most ppl who wanted to go would get a ticket.
  • Options
    If we were to get to a Wembley Semi Final, at least we wouldn't disgrace ourselves with our own supporters fighting amongst themselves.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

By the way, if Man City/Chelsea, Arsenal/Liverpool and Everton all make it through to the semis and qualify for Europe through their league position, I think it's possible that we get into the Europa League next season just by qualifying for semi-final after the comprehensive victory over Wednesday in round 5 and our nailbiting penalty shoot-out win of Fulham/Sheff U/Preston/Forest in the Quarters.

Didn't they change that rule so losing finalists or semi-finalist no longer qualify and the space goes to the 5th or 6th place prem team?
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Didn't they change that rule so losing finalists or semi-finalist no longer qualify and the space goes to the 5th or 6th place prem team?
    Yep, drops down to the Premier League
  • Options
    Rothko said:

MrLargo said:

Really? So not even the Cup runner-up gets any reward. Well that's ruined my day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Rothko said:

MrLargo said:

Really? So not even the Cup runner-up gets any reward. Well that's ruined my day.
    Well, we will just have to win the thing then.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Just imagine if we beat the massives then somehow blag our way past (most likely) a prem team in the quarters and end up in a semi final at Wembley. 30K Charlton fans at Wembley?

Did you go to Wembley in 98 Trev? Or are you lucky enough to be too young then?
  • Options
    Just checked it. Can't get in if you're knocked out in the semis, but if you lose to a Champions League club in the final then you do qualify for Europe, so we're ok!

From Premier League website:
    UEFA Europa League
    There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

• Options

CAFCTrev said:

I was living in Frinton-on-sea in Essex back then, so all I knew about Charlton was in my Football League 96 Panini Sticker Album.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

I was living in Frinton-on-sea in Essex back then, so all I knew about Charlton was in my Football League 96 Panini Sticker Album.

Nothing beats seeing your team at Wembley. I hope we get there for your sake!
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

Me too, Im still harbouring faint hopes of a championship play off final sometime in the next 20 years.
  • Options
    It is still wrong that the semis are played at Wembley. Should keep it for the final only imo.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

Me too, Im still harbouring faint hopes of a championship play off final sometime in the next 20 years.
    and this is more than likely!! .. twenty years is a long time .. however, will there still be a premier (as we know it) in 20 years time ? ... or a Eurosuper League and an English Division 1?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:

It is still wrong that the semis are played at Wembley. Should keep it for the final only imo.

This
  • Options

Ross said:

This
    This, but the FA need the money to pay for Wembley.
  • Options
    Ross said:

I agree - obviously until we are finally in one ;)
  • Options
    I the unlikely event we qualify for europe the qualifing rounds start in July. Our new pitch would not be ready so where would we play the home leg?
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I the unlikely event we qualify for europe the qualifing rounds start in July. Our new pitch would not be ready so where would we play the home leg?

The way things are going........Belgium
  • Options
    Charlton win every other time me or my Dad see them at Wembley ('46, '47, '87, '98). So we're due a loss if I go again. Should I jinx the semi final this year? Or miss it and jinx the final?
  • Options
    Been offered tickets over the last few years to go to (The new) Wembley, but always said No Thank You as I'm waiting to see CAFC there. Maybe.....just maybe......
  • Options
    Oh dear, I've got carried away now.

5th round - could do but won't
    6th round - can't do, but OK for a replay
    Semi final - Can do
    Final - can't do
    Europa League et al - no thanks
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Charlton win every other time me or my Dad see them at Wembley ('46, '47, '87, '98). So we're due a loss if I go again. Should I jinx the semi final this year? Or miss it and jinx the final?

Charlton have alternated win/lose/win/lose at Wembley

43 lost
    44 won
    46 lost
    47 won
    86 lost
    98 won

so if we lose the semi-final will will then win the play-off final.

: - )

• Options
    edited January 2014

Chizz said:

Charlton have alternated win/lose/win/lose at Wembley
    This point was not lost on me when I wrote this:

http://www.jabberwocky.co.uk/addicks/wilson.html