Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Going to neutral games when we are playing

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
Last night I couldn't get to Donny so went to Orient to get my fix of live footie . I have adopted the O's as second team since moving to East London seven years ago and it is nice to watch an evening game and be home before 10 O'Clock.For those that haven't been it is a friendly club but when on bad spells their fans are even more moaney than we are on a night like last night.At the moment though everything is rosy at the Matchroom Stadium and it is enjoyable following them.

Last night I was anxious and couldn't concentrate,I broke my 20 minute rule about looking for other scores at least five times alternating between BBC,twitter and the CL matchday thread.Once Mr Blackberry had told me we had gone two down and that Lawrie Wilson had been sent off I couldn't enjoy the game I was watching any more ,I was visualising the events from the Keepmoat through @RedMidlands excellent commentary until it became too depressing and I stayed on the Beeb's results page refeshing it every couple of minutes in the end hoping that other teams at the bottom were also doing badly.

Orient came through in the second half despite super Kev missing a penalty and fans favourite 'he used to be s...te' David Moooooney bagged the second coming off the bench , but while all my O's friends were celebrating a good win and invited me to their excellant supporters club for a few beers I just couldn't put my heart into it.I even left five minutes before the end even though I am only a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride away from home.

What are other peoples experiences? Previously I have tried to stay away from our scores and just enjoy the game I am watching but last night the Donny game felt too important.I think in future I will stay at home if we have such a crucial game and I can't get there.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Live in Stratford so Ive popped down to Orient when it doesnt clash with Charlton and I have a spare quid. I enjoy going to games as a neutral. Good to see the O's doing well.
  • Options
    I was at Bees v Bristol City last night. They tore City apart and look the real deal. They play quick passing football on a decent pitch and play with plenty of width.

Alan Judge was very influential and a shame that we couldn't get him in the summer.

Alan McCormack is the main man for Bees though. He's everywhere and even showed a massive burst of pace in setting up Judge's goal. He's their player of the season so far and is such a different player to when he played for Charlton.

Bees lack a bit of depth at centre back but they have plenty of depth in midfield and up front. Their centre midfield choices are especially strong.
  • Options
    Only game I have ever been to that didn't include Charlton was seeing Peterborough lose 3-2 at home to Newcastle in 2010.
    It just didn't feel right
  • Options
    Used to do it when I was younger but it does not interest me now. I have so many other interests and past times that watching Charlton can be tough sometimes.
  • Options
    When able I go to non-league games (mainly at Dulwich). Find them enjoyable as, although I like DHFC, I don't really "support" them, so win/lose or draw isn't really going to get me too "up" or "down" as a CAFC result would.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Alan Judge was very influential and a shame that we couldn't get him in the summer.

Shame we couldnt get him this month
  • Options
    My major moment of shame was bumping into the Charlton team getting Pie Chips and Beans at the services on the M6.
    I was on my way back from Old Trafford after watch a European Cup tie v Juventus or Barcalona. Charlton had just won 0-1 at Blackburn I think and due to it being before the days of mobiles etc we had to actually ask the players the score! I think Flanagan scored Charlton's goal that night. It would have been late 70's early 80's I reckon.
    My brother-in-law who is a Utd fan had got us tickets and he often came to Charlton away games with us for a day out. (put this in so someone might forgive me)!
  • Options
    I was asked to work last night and as it turned out (work) Was to take some clients to the company box at old Trafford on behalf of my boss. This slightly made up for not being able to go to Donny. I spent the whole night in the box eating , drinking and watching sky sports news on the tele! Very weird experience!
  • Options

When able I go to non-league games (mainly at Dulwich). Find them enjoyable as, although I like DHFC, I don't really "support" them, so win/lose or draw isn't really going to get me too "up" or "down" as a CAFC result would.

Same for me with Welling, actually been to more of their games than ours over the last couple of years. Mainly due to the fact that I can take my 5 year old and she doesn't have to sit still in the same seat for 90 minutes. Spend half the game on here checking the match thread though.

Before I was old enough to be allowed to away games, I used to go to Millwall, which seems crazy now.. "No son, don't like the idea of you getting on a coach with a group of fellow supporters but you can go to Millwall"
  • Options
    Did that at Barnet on several occasions when they were at Underhill. I could never take it seriously though, which made it a bit of a waste of time, really. Did once join in a pitch invasion there after they avoided relegation, but that was more down to peer pressure than jubilation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stone said:

My major moment of shame was bumping into the Charlton team getting Pie Chips and Beans at the services on the M6.
    I was on my way back from Old Trafford after watch a European Cup tie v Juventus or Barcalona. Charlton had just won 0-1 at Blackburn I think and due to it being before the days of mobiles etc we had to actually ask the players the score! I think Flanagan scored Charlton's goal that night. It would have been late 70's early 80's I reckon.
    My brother-in-law who is a Utd fan had got us tickets and he often came to Charlton away games with us for a day out. (put this in so someone might forgive me)!

• Options
    I am going to Brighton vs Reading on a stag do in March
  • Options
    Yes Bruv it was Barcelona Maradona and all http://youtu.be/nD0jekbsQ44 1984 but we did go back to old Trafford in 86 to see Mark Stuart give us a 1.0 win ...both great days at the 'theatre of dreams'
  • Options
    I often go to other games. I will be going to see Cardiff v Norwich on saturday and been to see newport county quite a few times this season.
  • Options
    Used to do it a lot when I was younger. Went to many obscure places in an attempt to the do 92. In those days of course, you would only find the score at the end if it was announced, or by buying a pink un or something similar.

Stopped doing it later life as decided if we were playing I would always rather go to see us as I couldn't concentrate on another game if we were playing. Weird.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Did that at Barnet on several occasions when they were at Underhill. I could never take it seriously though, which made it a bit of a waste of time, really. Did once join in a pitch invasion there after they avoided relegation, but that was more down to peer pressure than jubilation.

Barnet was my other interest since coming north of the river,only been to the Hive once to see them play Welling as it is a bit too far now.

What you describe is how I often feel ,I do like Barnet and Orient and when I'm there I do support them,it helps with the O's that i normally go with friends .I do enjoy the experience of watching live football as opposed to viewing on Sky. I even have Barnet and Orient beeney hats. Last night I really felt disconnected with the O's because we were being thumped.
  • Options
    The weekend when we play reading at home will be going to watch dortmund v wolfsburg in april.
  • Options

I often go to other games. I will be going to see Cardiff v Norwich on saturday and been to see newport county quite a few times this season.

I'm going to see Wimbledon V Newport on Good Friday!!!
  • Options
    same here, staying in twickenham with friends doing wimbledon on friday then seeing us get relegated!! on saturday against bolton.
    Huskaris said:

• Options
    Went to see Palace v Fulham with a Nigel mate this season, was quite funny!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes Bruv it was Barcelona Maradona and all http://youtu.be/nD0jekbsQ44 1984 but we did go back to old Trafford in 86 to see Mark Stuart give us a 1.0 win ...both great days at the 'theatre of dreams'

Blimey, I didn't even get the Charlton score right.........

Score 1-1
    Competition League Division Two
    Venue Ewood Park
    Attendance 4,784
  • Options
    I often go to watch other clubs in the north and midlands .. always enjoy the change and to watch a game with little or no emotional involvement
  • Options

same here, staying in twickenham with friends doing wimbledon on friday then seeing us get relegated!! on saturday against bolton.

Huskaris said:

What a great weekend will be, my girlfriend is from Newport and we always play as them on Football Manager so we are really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    I only live 1 mile away from (Boundary Park...Oldham) + (Spotland...Rochdale) so kinda pop along to get a football fix if unable to make a Charlton game or when they are not playing.