Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland Duchatelet

seems to be getting a lot of stick at the moment, "he wants powell out", "he wants us relegated" etc

the man has just bought a club that was a knats cock away from being skint and relegated anyway, do we have anything to REALLY blame him for?

if players are leaving for free in a few months and he wants a return on them now is he such a villain?

i personally dont yet have a real opinion of the man as i think its too soon but interested to hear what he has done wrong (besides not throwing his money about)

Comments

• Options

seems to be getting a lot of stick at the moment, "he wants powell out", "he wants us relegated" etc

the man has just bought a club that was a knats cock away from being skint and relegated anyway, do we have anything to REALLY blame him for?

if players are leaving for free in a few months and he wants a return on them now is he such a villain?

i personally dont yet have a real opinion of the man as i think its too soon but interested to hear what he has done wrong (besides not throwing his money about)

Yes if they're not replaced and we end up relegated because that will cost us a lot more than any fees we get.
  • Options
    If he hadn't taken over there's a real possibility that we'd have gone into administration, got relegated anyway and started next season in L1 with a 15-point penalty, so I agree with Dave.
  • Options
    @cafcdave123 I was of the same view as you, but I am getting increasingly worried by the uncertainty surround the direction and ambition that has been shown so far. It is all well and good saying that he has only been in charge three weeks, but this is a critical time of the season bith due to the position we find ourselves in and the ability to recruit after Friday. The lending of two potentially substandard players and one who we don't really need cannot have filled anyone with confidence ... can it?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Not looking good is it?

Beggars can't be choosers I know and we have seen darker days. If this is what it is then bring it on. I still think RD has something up his sleeve but knowing our luck it will be arms...
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

@cafcdave123 I was of the same view as you, but I am getting increasingly worried by the uncertainty surround the direction and ambition that has been shown so far. It is all well and good saying that he has only been in charge three weeks, but this is a critical time of the season bith due to the position we find ourselves in and the ability to recruit after Friday. The lending of two potentially substandard players and one who we don't really need cannot have filled anyone with confidence ... can it?

Especially as the limit of loans from one club has now been reached or if not is very near, so that blocks any players that are of use.
  • Options
    I can blame him because who buys a club to let it go to the shitter? Chris Powell aint signing these Standard Leige c**ts. Some fuckwits with no knowledge of the game are. Give Chris some money to buy some players. Why the fuck would you buy a club to see your investment get halved almost immediately by relegation? Yes I'm fucked off, because being a Charlton fan is harder than it should be. Am I going anywhere? Fuck, no. But it's been nearly 10 years since we even finished in the top half of the second division let alone threaten to break in the big time by flirting with the play-offs.

• Options
    If he hadn't bought the club, we'd have been relegated, bust, docked ten points and be, by August 1st rooted to the bottom of League one, ten points away from safety.

He's a businessman. Which means he might be looking to turn around a quick profit. (Although not many people have successfully done that with a club of our size). Or he might be looking to build steady growth in income as well as on-pitch success. And, a season - or more - in League One might not be outside his list of possible scenarios.

Here are my two guesses, for what they're worth:

1. We won't be relegated. We'll just save ourselves, at the end of the season. In a Lennie Lawrence-style escape, bringing a tense, fruitful, exciting finish to the season and a summer of hope.

2. Looking at the results this season, we'll also win the FA Cup.

BRING. IT. ON!
  • Options
    Chizz, can I have some of those tablets you are taking please??:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stange, everyone keeps talking about how shit the SL players are but by all accounts Adajrevic is very decent and Thuram makes some good saves and gives us another option....odd people
  • Options
    I don't doubt the ability of Adajrevic, Thuram & Koc I think they can play but It's how fit they are and how quick they can adapt to Championship football.
  • Options
    We are in a very different position to standard when he bought them. Just cause he sacked the manager and sold players there doesn't mean it is the best practice for our position. As it says attached Yann wants to stay and sign to keep us up what will be gained by this type of action.
  • Options

...do we have anything to REALLY blame him for?...

Not at the moment, but if he lets our squad get any more depleted then we might.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    DeeBee said:

Stange, everyone keeps talking about how shit the SL players are but by all accounts Adajrevic is very decent and Thuram makes some good saves and gives us another option....odd people

They're not shit just not what we need.

• Options
    He is a businessman ..... Enough said. Personal profit the only goal at the expense of all else
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

He's given us two decent players in positions we've already got good players in. What was the point?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The guy has been in charge for less than one month and already people are convinced he's a diabolical mastermind scheming to deliberately relegate the club, snatch the money and run, twirling his Dick Dastardly moustache, all the way to the bank, laughing a pantomime baddy laugh all the while no doubt.

He has got Liege to a higher level than they were before he came, maybe he'll need different tactics here but he's proved he knows how to get a club running successfully - and ignoring fans' sentiments and opinions in the process.

Who knows, maybe he is going to Destroy The Club Forever, but just maybe he does in fact know what he's doing. Lack of emotional connection is not always a bad thing in business. If I really think he's going to leave us all up Shit Creek and nick our shiny paddles and give them to Liege, I will protest as much as anyone. But for fuck's sake let us just wait until we know what is happening longer term! If he hadn't made his purchase just before stupid season (aka the January Transfer Window) there would not be half as much shit being flung around. If I was in his position I would not be splashing cash right away either... and I AM a fan, with an emotional connection.
  • Options
    Less than impressed with Roland so far, all we can go on is his interview which was talking about playing youngster's yet we sell Smith who we help develop for 2 years.

Get the feeling he has underestimated the quality of the division we're in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

RD is a businessman. We should therefore view his acquisition of CAFC in those terms. He will want to see a return on his investment but that return does not necessarily depend on success on the pitch. One possible scenario is to stem the losses occasioned by players wages (possibly a reason for letting players such as Yann leave), accept relegation, bring in cheap loanees and start again. So where would the return be in that scenario? Well if he flogs the ground and agrees a move to the Peninsula (or elsewhere) he would get back more than he paid. That would be his return. He could then sell the club to another buyer at a knockdown price.

Nothing I have seen has given me the slightest confidence that he intends to give Powell money to ensure survival and if (as rumours suggest) our best assets are about to leave, what alternative plan can anyone put forward that demonstrates RD really intends to keep us in this division, let alone get promoted? A very depressing time for all CAFC supporters sadly.

Not sure Richard Murray would want to be associated with someone prepared to accept relegation and sell The Valley to buy a cheaper alternative on the Greenwich Peninsula. My take is that it is good that he is a businessman who has no affinity with the club. He is making what he thinks will be sound decisions with a view to making the club prosperous in the future. This may be a 'one step back to go two forward' scenario. Either way I cannot see that he would actively want us to get relegated, that would make no sense at all.
  • Options
    Yes, but are you allowed to go to Wednesday amigo?
  • Options
    When are you buying train tickets ?? I hadn't mentioned it as I didn't know the date had been confirmed.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Kap10 said:

Especially as the limit of loans from one club has now been reached or if not is very near, so that blocks any players that are of use.
    If I understand it correctly, there is only a limit (4) on how many loanees from one club you can put into your match day squad, and a limit of 5 loanees in total in the match day squad.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

RD is a businessman. We should therefore view his acquisition of CAFC in those terms. He will want to see a return on his investment but that return does not necessarily depend on success on the pitch. One possible scenario is to stem the losses occasioned by players wages (possibly a reason for letting players such as Yann leave), accept relegation, bring in cheap loanees and start again. So where would the return be in that scenario? Well if he flogs the ground and agrees a move to the Peninsula (or elsewhere) he would get back more than he paid. That would be his return. He could then sell the club to another buyer at a knockdown price.

Nothing I have seen has given me the slightest confidence that he intends to give Powell money to ensure survival and if (as rumours suggest) our best assets are about to leave, what alternative plan can anyone put forward that demonstrates RD really intends to keep us in this division, let alone get promoted? A very depressing time for all CAFC supporters sadly.

Not sure Richard Murray would want to be associated with someone prepared to accept relegation and sell The Valley to buy a cheaper alternative on the Greenwich Peninsula. My take is that it is good that he is a businessman who has no affinity with the club. He is making what he thinks will be sound decisions with a view to making the club prosperous in the future. This may be a 'one step back to go two forward' scenario. Either way I cannot see that he would actively want us to get relegated, that would make no sense at all.
    If there was a one step backward two steps strategy and RD said that well, this may result in relegation but the club will be stronger and this is the plan, well I may disagree but at least RD had the balls to be up front up and explain what the reasoning is. I am finding the current goings on massively disrespectful to the supporters and it appears to me that RD does not appear to give a flying one. If KMG goes and there is no significant strengthening without explanation than that is a massive two fingers up to the supporters. Why buy the club to run it into the ground ? Is RD just an asset stripper ? All that PR bullshit is starting to look like guff. God, I hope that I am proved wrong about this guy. The evidence from here and abroad so far is not good.
  • Options
    Whatever his plans are they wouldn't appear to include Powell. By potentially dismantling the core of his team that he had probably planned to build around in January/the summer I'd say SCP is on borrowed time. Perhaps RD is thinking his Liege of approach of cleaning house will work again. I'm sceptical lightening will strike twice
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2014
    If this is the case then RD should let CP go now, back or come to an amicable settlement. I would hate to see CP trying to manage a team full of players that are not his, that are not very good and having been so comprehensively undermined. RD should sit in the stands and carry the can for all that he is doing. RD should start whatever plan now, rather than wait until the close season.

If there is no strengthening and more key players go, alongside Powell, I will know it is time to start finding something else to do with my Saturdays for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    vff said:

If this is the case then RD should let CP go now, back or sack. I would hate to see CP trying to manage a team full of players that are not his, that are not very good and having been so comprehensively undermined. RD should sit in the stands and carry the can for all that he is doing. RD should start whatever plan now, rather than wait until the close season.

If there is no strengthening and more key players go, alongside Powell, I will know it is time to start finding something else to do with my Saturdays for the rest of the season.

Why should he though? Cheaper and easier for him to see out the contracts and then do his own business, sort out his own position with CP after we know what league we will be in next season. Yes I would LIKE to know what he's about, but he has no interest nor any obligation to act until he wishes to.
  • Options
    There once was a man called Rolland
    Who bought our club with a shake of a hand
    with fans hopes of success
    it turned into a mess
    It's league one and not the promised land.
  • Options
    Je suis a peine arrive!