Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Killers transfer to Derby

There have been a few mentions of killers Derby transfer recently on the Yann thread which brought back a distant memory that always makes me laugh when I think of it. My old man had just moved our family oooop t' north when killer moved. The old mans new boss was a big football bloke and to try and make us welcome had planned two games for us. The first was a mid week fixture, Arsenal (my dad's team) away to Derby at the baseball ground which turned out to be Killers debut for the rams so I was well happy. The game was the most tedious 0-0 ever and killer never had a touch. The following Saturday, my dad's boss had arranged a trip for us to see his heroes - Man U - who were playing Derby, so I got to see Killers first two games for the rams. I have no memory of that 2nd game at all apart from experiencing Old Trafford for the first time but my best memory came before the match.

I was just a kid and sat in the back of my old mans bosses car en route to the game and I have no idea why I did this but I wore my Charlton scarf to the game. Not in all its glory so the Mancs could see the words Charlton or the sword logo but just clock it was a red and white scarf under my coat. I think I must have felt better in myself by doing this as I was suicidal at the time because I had been dragged up north away from my beloved Charlton. Anyway, there I am in the back of the car when a coach pulls up beside us in the traffic jam. I looked up guessing it was the Lands End branch of the Utd supporters club but saw blokes in suits, sat at tables with little lamps playing cards. Just as it started dawning on me that I was looking up at Derby players on their team coach, there, sat all on his own like billy no mates was killer.

At the exact moment I started unwrapping my Charlton scarf from around my neck our eyes met and as I held the scarf up and pressed it against the window, Killers face was an absolute picture when he saw it. I was laughing, bouncing up and down giving him the thumbs up and shaking the scarf madly while killer just sat there, jaw dropped and trying to take in what he had just seen. He gave me a half hearted (the am I really seeing this) thumbs up and as his coach moved away he was straining his neck backwards to double check what he had just seen!!

I often wondered what went through his mind that day outside Old Trafford, Utd about to play Derby and up pops a Charlton fan waving his scarf just days after he left the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    Superb Stockport
  • Options
    top stuff Stockport.

How is life up there now? who did you pick as your local (2nd) team?
  • Options
    Absolutely amazing.
  • Options

top stuff Stockport.

Stockport County Steve and after 30 odd years I think I have just about settled in lol
  • Options
    Amazing story! Thanks for sharing it. As I said on another thread, I think that transfer was a British record fee at the time (1/3 million). Anyone else have an opinion?
  • Options
    Great story.
  • Options

top stuff Stockport.

Stockport County Steve and after 30 odd years I think I have just about settled in lol
    good man, always good to support the local team. Loved Big/Great Night Out or whatever it was called, you must recognise some of the places in that?
  • Options
    Possibly the only Charlton forward with a worst first touch than Jason Euell but what a player! You'd think Derby and Hammers scouts would have reported his strengths but they both tried to play to feet with his back to goal. Even then better than 2.5 for WH in top flight but considered a failure. Might have scored more had he been sober at KO.
  • Options
    The only 'small' story I have about 'killer' is when, many many years ago, I went into the old Valley club, a strange building near what is now the entrance to the East stand I believe, the main man that is 'Killer' walked in (with a David Essex type haircut) and went straight to the bar.....ordered a pint and lit up a 'fag'........I said in a star-in-awe-state...said hello.......he replied alright mate....looked at me...looked away.....and walked off...I was awe struck and gutted at the same-time!!!!