Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell and Duchatelet.

Sportsmail this morning. Chris Powell's position at Charlton is under threat since Powell and Duchatelet have not seen eye to eye since the takeover. Seems to me that Roland is very much a hard man, lets hope he stays that way when the top Clubs start sniffing around our best youngsters. Perhaps he might be able to put them on loan from one of his other Clubs ?

Comments

• Options
    Can you blame him? That result at Doncaster on paper with a team 3rd off the bottom would get a manger sacked
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I happen to think that there is a director of football in place and he's based in Belgium. I think this DOF is calling the shots for all of Roland's clubs and deciding which players CP gets to work with. Hence players from Leige and players that we can't pronounce.
  • Options
    I also think all our moaning and complaining is simply venting steam, it will not get us anywhere as shown by RD and Liege. He is a man with a vision and he does only what he believes is best for his clubs, but more importantly his money.
  • Options
    If I had just spent millions on a club I would be doing what I want as well lol, you no it's true. He is the boss
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Can you blame him? That result at Doncaster on paper with a team 3rd off the bottom would get a manger sacked

The way results have been going would get any manager sacked in this day and age. But i firmly believe that because its Chris Powell and the support he has from the fans is saving his bacon.
  • Options
    We are a poor Championship team at best at this moment in time. We have a tactically naive young manager who let us be honest is struggling to get more out of what he currently has and was likely to be given.

This should be a breath of fresh air for any supporters of any club, comings and goings, intrigues and for once this season a real impression that no one knows what the feck is going to happen this Saturday when whatever team we put out steps over that touch line.

This is terribly un-Charlton and this CL board, a bastion of all things we think we hold dear is worried, very worried. Looking forward to today TBH and I believe that RD is a breath of fresh air and reality and CP and us as fans will have to get used to it.
  • Options
    I totally agree Madz.
  • Options
    Maybe RD checked out Powell when he checked out the Club prior to purchase and decided he wanted both.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It seems that Chrissy's role has changed and he has now become a coach. Comments from Chrissy indicate he doesn’t know much about the players being brought in, but RD will have a scouting network and I’m sure these players will have been well researched. Gone seem to be the days, when we bring in ‘Charlton Players’ and the model seems to be for us to bring in young talented payers on long contracts – presumably to cash in on them when the big clubs come sniffing.

Chrissy is also an honourable man, and I'm sure he would have been deeply upset by the way Kermogant - a player who has given his all for him and the club, has been treated. Yes, on a business level - it can be argued that it is the right decision, but what does it say to other players?

I don’t think RD is going to change his plans and Chrissy will need to accept his new position or leave as it is in nobody's interests to have the manager and owner fighting. Rightly or wrongly, the owner will always win the argument – because he is the owner. If Chrissy can’t or doesn’t want to adapt, I can’t see this dragging out too long.

I would like to think that Chrissy may give it a go – that means try 100% to make things work. He can have a look at the quality of those coming in and if they are better than those going out, work with it. An issue is, I suspect Chrissy is a very ‘English’ manager and I’m not sure that is going to work with RD.

I hope it does as the relationship between Chrissy and the fans is very important. It buys the club time when things are not going so well for starters.
  • Options
    Or someone said Charlton are going for 14 Mill and he snapped us up without even looking into us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014

Maybe RD checked out Powell when he checked out the Club prior to purchase and decided he wanted both.

Don't be daft, he did his own due dilligence, missed the problems of the pitch, never realised we were close to bottom three and never knew we had a black manager (something I have only just found out).

Thats what happens when your due dilligence is based on subbuteo.
  • Options
    Speculation a-ha a_ha
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Every struggling team gets these 'manager under threat' reports. Especially one where there's question over who decides signings. It's often just easy lazy journalism. Of course imp worried it's true but I'll start worrying more if RD publicly gives Powell a vote of confidence.
  • Options
    It is lazy journalism, not repeated any where else in the media, let alone a publication like SLP that has closer ties and interests in the club. Still, grabs attenbtion as is now the top trending charlton related article on newsnow.co.uk
  • Options

Or someone said Charlton are going for 14 Mill and he snapped us up without even looking into us

He don't watch Homes Under The Hammer then
  • Options
    Chris Powell may not like RD's policy on player selling and recruitment but he has little choice to accept it or go. It is no different in the outside world. At a recent place I worked, I was told by the Directors that I had to reorganise one of my teams and make three people redundant. I didn't like but I had no choice. RD owns the club and will call the shots. Very un Charlton like but I guess we will just have to get used to it.
  • Options
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chris-powell-denies-rift-with-new-charlton-owner-9098495.html

Chris Powell denies that new Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet has agreed to sell two of the club’s best players without speaking to him first.
    Charlton have sold Dale Stephens to Brighton and accepted a bid from Bournemouth for Yann Kermorgant, who is expected to leave before tonight’s transfer deadline.

Powell is unhappy about losing the influential pair but can understand Duchatelet’s decision to cash in, with both players having six months left on their contracts.

The manager insists he was consulted on both deals and dismisses reports that his relationship with Duchatelet has reached breaking point.

There have been suggestions that Duchatelet, who bought Charlton less than a month ago, is already contemplating a managerial change but Powell hopes to sign a new contract soon.

On the decision to sell Kermorgant and Stephens, Powell said: “I am aware of what is going on, absolutely. There is no problem there. Let’s make this clear, I have always known we are vulnerable when players have got six months remaining on their deals.

“Yann and Dale are two very good players. I would prefer them to be here but there are decisions to make and they are being made.

“Football is a business and people do not want to lose money. We have new owners and they have ideas of how to run football clubs and financially what to do. We are all in the loop, every day there are exchanges of texts, emails and phone calls.

“I speak with Roland on a regular basis about ideas, strategy and what is right for the club.”

A number of Charlton players, including Johnnie Jackson, are out of contract in the summer and have been linked with moves. Rhoys Wiggins was attracting interest from Bournemouth but the defender has signed a new four-and-a-half year deal.

Charlton, who are in the Championship relegation zone, have signed five players this month from clubs owned by Belgian millionaire Duchatelet. Iran forward Reza Ghoochannejhad, 26, and French defender Loic Nego, 23, could make their debuts against Wigan tomorrow after becoming the latest arrivals.

Powell said: “It would be silly for us not to use the network because there are a number of talented players out there. Why not use that to our advantage? We have got a lot of games coming up so bringing in these players means we are going to be able to put some fresh legs in and keep the players up to a good standard.

“They will have to get used to what the Championship is about. We are under pressure like all the teams down there and we need to start picking up points.

“I’ve always wanted to improve the squad and the new boys are talented. I want the fans to know that we are trying to improve the squad to get the results that we want for them. Things are tough for the side at the moment and we want them to be behind us all the way.”

Polish striker Piotr Parzyszek, 20, is set to join from Dutch side De Graafschap, while young forward Joe Pigott has moved to League One Gillingham on loan.
  • Options
    I am sorry but the whole saga of this transfer window has really, really bothered me. We will come out of it having lost our best goalkeeper, midfielder and striker and replaced them with completely untested players with no experience of having played in England. It's all very well to say 'this is exciting', and I am happy to be proved wrong, but how likely is it that these guys adapt immediately to a standard they haven't played at and are good enough to keep us up?!

With Alnwick, Stephens and Yann we had three proven Championship players who would have undoubtedly played a key role in our survival bid. As CAFC fans we went through a hell of a lot watching the club fall apart in front of our eyes and sinking to mid table in league one and then watched the team re-born under a club legend of a manager given license to build his team and we would all agree that 'we got our Charlton back'. We are now watching all of his work being completely undermined and disregarded and in my opinion, about to watch us once again be relegated.

If any of you at work had been successful over a period of a couple of years having built a successful team and then had a new CEO come in who broke up your team, replaced them, input a completely new strategy and told you to start again, how would you feel? Would you want to stay with your current employers? I certainly wouldn't.

That statement as far as I am concerned is just what he will have been told to say- if they had been watching all these random European players, we hadnt we made moves to sign similar players previously. SCP and the fans are being undermined and I dont like it.
  • Options
    Liege are currently top of the Belgium League after moves which Roland initiated and which so outraged Liege fans. I think that he has more ability than we give him credit for.

This is interesting from CP http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chris-powell-denies-rift-with-new-charlton-owner-9098495.html

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard Powell talking on LBC this morning about Stephens & Yann and stated ' 1 don't want them to leave but the club had to make a decision'. So basically they have gone against his wishes. Does this strike you as a harmonious partnership taking place between the new owner and the our manager ? This is going to end badly for Powell unless by some miracle the new players jel instantly within a background of existing players feeling hacked off and the manager resenting the fact he is not being listened to. I think I know what my money would be on. I am prepared for the worst.
  • Options
    Isn't that just a very honest quote from CP? Would he ideally want them to stay? Yes. Would he ideally want someone else to throw whatever millions at them to make them stay? Yes (It's not his money, after all). But does he realise that in the real world the club does not have an unending stream of money, so has to make hard-headed decisions, to cash in in one way in order to spend in another? Yes, I think he does. That is what he said, so I believe him.

CP has always appeared to me to be a very practical man, able to see the reality of the situation and, therefore, I do hope that he stays at the club long term, because he is just the kind of manager we need. And he clearly sees and the possibilities and opportunities of what RD is trying to build.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Chris Powell - tactically naive?

Yes, I find a lot of blokes who play 700 League games - including about 250 in the elite division - and make it as a full international for England really have very little idea about tactics at all.

Seemed to have a pretty decent grasp of tactics for his first two years here, but his grasp seemed to loosen round about the time he was asked to operate with a skeletal squad.

Unbelievable.

Great player? - check, agree there. Great manager/coach? - still to be convinced.

Heretical on CL of course but unbelievable? don't think so.

• Options

Yes, I find a lot of blokes who play 700 League games - including about 250 in the elite division - and make it as a full international for England really have very little idea about tactics at all.

Seemed to have a pretty decent grasp of tactics for his first two years here, but his grasp seemed to loosen round about the time he was asked to operate with a skeletal squad.

Unbelievable.

Great player? - check, agree there. Great manager? - still to be convinced here.

Heretical on CL of course but unbelievable don't think so.

Didn't say he was a "great manager" - he is palpably nothing of the sort.

But then again anyone calling him that would be just as daft as calling a man of his experience "tactically naive" - both are way OTT.
  • Options

Unbelievable.

Great player? - check, agree there. Great manager? - still to be convinced here.

Heretical on CL of course but unbelievable don't think so.

Didn't say he was a "great manager" - he is palpably nothing of the sort.

But then again anyone calling him that would be just as daft as calling a man of his experience "tactically naive" - both are way OTT.
    Suggest you have a word with the 400 hardy souls that were a Doncaster then...