Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diawara and Mr Murray

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Anyone else think that Richard Murray could do with saying sorry for the Diawara comment he made earlier in the season?

Wouldn't usually criticisethe chairman but think he got this one wrong , our best defender yesterday by an absolute mile and constantly having to bail Borrat out .

Fair enough when he first came he did make some pretty big mistakes that cost us but to any of is watching you could also see there was something there and maybe he needed time to settle in , now he has had that time he looks so much better and also looks like he really cares.

Lets just hope yesterday was just a blip for Young as he was dreadful.

Comments

• i would hope that he apologised soon after making the comments. we (supporters) are constantly reminded to get behind the players as it does have a positive effect on them, so you would hope that he corrected his actions.
    regarding his performances, they are improving. he made some basic errors in games to begin with, the most blatant being letting the ball bounce rather than head it. i think this may have been a communication problem (ie not knowing which c/half is going for the ball and which drops off). on the subject of c/halfs where is bougy?

regarding luke young, i think any full back that has rommedahl in front of him will always struggle. when zz played in front of him in the 2nd half he looked more comfortable.
  • to be honest PBS I thought Young was worse in the second half but the most important thing is that we got the 3 points so at least his unusually poor performance hasn't cost us and will hopefully be a one off.
  • where is bougy?

He was on the bench yesterday.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]where is bougy?

He was on the bench yesterday.

didn't realise.
  • It does seem every time we seem to get a defence together somebody is ruled out for one reason or another. It would be good to see Murray apologise he may well have done this privately but as he was so public with his condemnation i think he can be expected to do the same.
    Regarding Luke young he must be the luckiest player we have getting to watch rommedahl at such close quarters at least his in front of him rather than running at him, dont you agree sarnie
  • I would think that Mr Murray was somewhat misquoted about his Diawara comment. I'm sure he'd have sorted this out fairly quickly.

Post Les Reed Souly's been my player of the season so far. An immense figure in more ways than one.
  • Perhaps if (when!) all ends well Minty will publicly acknowledge Souly's contribution then.
  • I thought Diawara had a good game even if he lost Folan completely (he turned to go the other way) when the Wigan forward spun in the box and shot over the bar.

Someone can ask Murray at the fans forum at the Valley (12th April - 300 tickets) and maybe he'll give his side of the story.

BTW there were a lot of people singing "you're not fit to wear the shirt" after Diawara cost us the goal v Wycombe
  • How's Diawara's English coming on?

I appreciate Carson can't speak French yet......but we still need to play Borat alongside him.
    Although Magic can parle Francais - along with Faye and Song.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]How's Diawara's English coming on?

I appreciate Carson can't speak French yet......but we still need to play Borat alongside him.
    Although Magic can parle Francais - along with Faye and Song.

Don't know about Diawara's English Lessons but they aren't playing TEK because he speaks French. It will be interesting to see what happens when Magic and Thatcher are fully fit. Nice problem to have.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is always difficult when the Chairman weighs in with criticism of individual players. Actually to be fair to RM, he wasn't the only one questioning Diawara at the time. Many others were. I don't think Les rated him and I'm pretty certain that if he had remained as manager, Diawara would have been palmed off in the "window". RM's comments at the time therefore need to be read in that context.

Pards (for 'tis he), seems to have recognised his ability and he is responding. I think that there is a real chance that he might play Magic and Diawara in the up-coming games. I know the old thing about not changing a winning team, but I personally think that rubbish. You play your best team chosen afresh for each game.
  • [cite]Posted By: cheeseroll[/cite]
    Regarding Luke young he must be the luckiest player we have getting to watch rommedahl at such close quarters at least his in front of him rather than running at him, dont you agree sarnie

what would you know cheese? your asleep most of the time anyway (probably dreaming of the rommedahl that used to play for psv);-)
  • Rommedahl sounds like a cheese - as in: "Please waiter, I'll have a bit of Rommedahl and some Camembert (sp) and Jacobs Crackers".

Sorry folks, I'm in a strange mood tonight. Full moon, I expect.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Sorry folks, I'm in a strange mood tonight. Full moon, I expect.

I used to be a werewolf but I'm alright noooooooooooooowwwwwwww!
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]It is always difficult when the Chairman weighs in with criticism of individual players. Actually to be fair to RM, he wasn't the only one questioning Diawara at the time. Many others were.

Irrelevent.

As club chairman, he really should of known better and been above that. I certainly thought of him as better than that.

If he was accurately quoted, I'm pretty sure he deeply regrets it, despite what may of prompted it.
  • edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    Irrelevent.

As club chairman, he really should of known better and been above that. I certainly thought of him as better than that.

If he was accurately quoted, I'm pretty sure he deeply regrets it, despite what may of prompted it.

It's not irrelevant it's a hippopotamus!!....:-)

Seriously, I think you are being a little harsh. It was certainly unwise for him to make those comments. But try to see them in context.

If I remember rightly, they came in an interview in the hours immediately after the Wycombe game.
    That was the bleakest of bleakest nights for our club. Dear old Uncle Les was floundering, the press were baying for his blood, and blaming RM and the board for the Dowie fiasco. The club was in crisis and at that time, they were trying to support Les. Given that Les didn't appear to rate Diawara, and facing the music on that terrible night, unable to speak openly about full reasons why Dowie was sacked, he let slip a comment about a player to try and shift some muck in Dowie's direction by suggesting that they had signed Diawara on Dowie's recommendation despite the fact that he was totally unknown. It was a comment aimed more at Dowie than the player.

In those circumstances I for one wouldn't be over critical. If nothing else Diawara has something to prove and he is responding in the best possible fashion.
  • I don't know why, but there was something about the way it was reported that gave me the impression that maybe Mr Murray had been drowning his sorrows at the nature of the defeat (I mean, if it was your money that was paying for all that, wouldn't you?) and so was perhaps less discreet than he normally is in public. I agree it wasn't wise, but I can understand it.
  • edited April 2007
    Definitely has to be seen in the context of the crisis at the club at the time.

Beginning of the season, Murray allowed Dowie to spend £8 million - which was, I believe, the total budget at the time.

But then we had our centre-half crisis, only El Kak was fit, so Murray had to find an extra £3.7 million from next season's budget to pay for Diawara.

And with Uncle Les not playing him and probably telling Murray that Diawara could go in the January window, Murray obviously was pretty sore about spending money he didn't have on a player who wouldn't play.
  • I felt his comments were directed at Dowie, but I can see that the player might be a little upset by it, although he's gone a long way since to make his critics wrong.
  • You're right there razil, Murray was clearly having a huge pop at Dowie's scouting "expertise" - no doubt about that and was not having a direct go at the player.

The interesting thing would be whether Diawarra was or is even aware that the comments were made or would even care if he did know.

The bloke does not speak or read a word of English (Dowie said so when we signed him) so unless someone told him what Murray said (which is possible but by no means certain), then he could have been blisffuly unaware of the whole debacle.

Moreover, having played in France for most of his career, he would have been quite used to the higher public profile that chairman and owners tend to play over there and are much more heavily involved in team affairs and regularly speak out against performances and players, therefore it could have been water off a Ducks back.

More pertinently, he had just signed a four year deal for probably at least five times what he was on at Sochaux and netted a hefty signing on fee as well so the chances are he could not have given a feck either way.
  • Sponsored links:

• mountain out of a molehill me-thinks!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]The interesting thing would be whether Diawarra was or is even aware that the comments were made or would even care if he did know.

The bloke does not speak or read a word of English (Dowie said so when we signed him) so unless someone told him what Murray said (which is possible but by no means certain), then he could have been blisffuly unaware of the whole debacle.

I'm sure he would have known.

At the time, English/French speakers at the club were El Kak, Faye, Traore (and Carson who had been told to learn French - and quickly.)

I should imagine those guys naturally formed a French speaking clique.