Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Hateley Dead - 72

Former Chelsea, Liverpool and Aston Villa striker Tony Hateley has died at the age of 72.

R.I.P

Comments

• Options
    RIP Tony
  • Options
    Helps to put things in perspective. RIP Tony Hateley. Brilliant with his head wasn't he?
  • Options
    Sad news. RIP.
  • Options
    Mark Hateley's dad???
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Mark Hateley's dad???

Yes
  • Options
    Remember him well as a player.

RIP
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Mark Hateley's dad???

For some of us Mark Hateley was Tonys son. Sad loss from the rumbustious 60s when pitches were muddy, balls weighed a ton and boots weren't much lighter. RIP
  • Options

RIP

My favourite memory ? Just before Xmas 66 I went to Chelsea and saw an insane 5-5 vs West Ham. Bobby Tambling scored 3 to become Chelsea's all-time leading scorer; the normally unflappable Bobby Moore (just a few months after the World Cup) was tormented by Tommy Baldwin and was reduced to kicking lumps out of him - never usually a dirty player, but on this extraordinary day we saw a side to Mooro not often seen. Tony Hateley's contribution to the madness ? Well, he was a famous header of the ball but on the ground somewhat more ordinary (!) - the ball ran loose and settled in the goalmouth a few feet from the unguarded line, and Tony H, who was on his knees a couple of yards away launched himself along the ground to try and head the ball in ! A really vivid memory .... in a golden age of football (that's how the 60s will always be for me, for CAFC, the World Cup and everything else) Tony Hateley was indeed a notable figure, and a £100K transfer fee made him a really special player. A true professional.

• Options
    I was only a kid but I remember him as probably the best header of the ball I had ever seen at that age. RIP
  • Options

I was only a kid but I remember him as probably the best header of the ball I had ever seen at that age. RIP

That's much how I remember him too. The only family I can profess to have seen Grandfather (Tony), Father (Mark) and Grandson (Tom) all play professional football.

RIP Tony.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who does Tom play for

RIP Tony

I only remember Mark
  • Options

RIP

My favourite memory ? Just before Xmas 66 I went to Chelsea and saw an insane 5-5 vs West Ham. Bobby Tambling scored 3 to become Chelsea's all-time leading scorer; the normally unflappable Bobby Moore (just a few months after the World Cup) was tormented by Tommy Baldwin and was reduced to kicking lumps out of him - never usually a dirty player, but on this extraordinary day we saw a side to Mooro not often seen. Tony Hateley's contribution to the madness ? Well, he was a famous header of the ball but on the ground somewhat more ordinary (!) - the ball ran loose and settled in the goalmouth a few feet from the unguarded line, and Tony H, who was on his knees a couple of yards away launched himself along the ground to try and head the ball in ! A really vivid memory .... in a golden age of football (that's how the 60s will always be for me, for CAFC, the World Cup and everything else) Tony Hateley was indeed a notable figure, and a £100K transfer fee made him a really special player. A true professional.

Was at the same match Dec66,but my favourite memory of Tony Hateley came in the FA CUP leading upto the cup final, against Sheffield Utd think 5th round.Cross cameover from right wing just over head height on the edge of 18yard line Hateley just came running onto the ball at full speed and met it with his head,the keeper did not stand a chance 18yards out nearly broke the net with this header.Also got the only goal of the game in the half-final against Leeds at Villa Park that year.
    RIP Big Man Thanks for the memories,much too young to pass away.
  • Options
    Will never forget him rising to head the winner in front of the covered end. One of my first matches... Was it 1967? RIP Tony
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited February 2014

RIP

Was at the same match Dec66,but my favourite memory of Tony Hateley came in the FA CUP leading upto the cup final, against Sheffield Utd think 5th round.Cross cameover from right wing just over head height on the edge of 18yard line Hateley just came running onto the ball at full speed and met it with his head,the keeper did not stand a chance 18yards out nearly broke the net with this header.Also got the only goal of the game in the half-final against Leeds at Villa Park that year.
    RIP Big Man Thanks for the memories,much too young to pass away.
    What a small world!! I was at that 5-5 draw too. Went with school and always remember one of the older boys confidently proclaiming at half-time, with the score at 2-1 to West Ham, that we wouldn't see any more goals!!

Whilst still not far below his prime Hateley joined Notts County in Division 4. Coincidentally, I was also at his debut at Meadow Lane in amongst a crowd of 20,000 for a game against Northampton Town. Not bad for Division 4!! Notts stormed to the title with Hateley scoring twenty goals.

Not the most subtle of players, but a classic old style centre forward and a superb header of a football.
  • Options

Amazing that the three of us were all at that match, although 5-5 is not so easy to forget .... Another famous 5-5 in which TH was involved - THFC 5-5 AVFC March 66. I thought the big man scored all five but on checking with Wiki it seems that he "only" scored the four in the second half which brought Villa level after being 5-1 down. That match would have been a great showcase for two great headers of the ball but quite different in style - the elegant Alan Gilzean and the powerful Tony Hateley. (Incidentally, the crowd that day - 28000.)

• Options
    an icon and the founder of a possible dynasty RIP
  • Options
    Could somebody check the records, I thought chelsea bought him later than 1966 in which case he couldnt have scored for chelsea that day
  • Options

Could somebody check the records, I thought chelsea bought him later than 1966 in which case he couldnt have scored for chelsea that day

Signed for Chelsea in Oct 66, and then moved to Liverpool in Jun 67.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The date for Chelsea v West Ham was 17thdec1966, Charlton played away too Bolton that day.At that time Chelsea was my club for another four months.
    1969 Tony scored the only goal at The Valley for Birmingham in a 1-0 win Peter Reeves was his marker that day and played Tony off the park.
  • Options
    RIP Tony he wasn't a great player but was a great header of the ball. I also heard that he was one hard barstard and apparently sorted the famous hardman Tommy Smith out on the training ground once not sure it's true but would have been something to see.

Ron Yeates tells a story about Hately and Bill Shankley. During one dismal performance at half time Shankley was berating Hateley for lack of effort and missing a couple of sitters to which Hateley replied "You must admit boss I am good in the air" to which Shankley replied "So was Douglas Bader and he had two better feet than you"

Priceless.
  • Options

RIP Tony he wasn't a great player but was a great header of the ball. I also heard that he was one hard barstard and apparently sorted the famous hardman Tommy Smith out on the training ground once not sure it's true but would have been something to see.

Ron Yeates tells a story about Hately and Bill Shankley. During one dismal performance at half time Shankley was berating Hateley for lack of effort and missing a couple of sitters to which Hateley replied "You must admit boss I am good in the air" to which Shankley replied "So was Douglas Bader and he had two better feet than you"

Priceless.

That's brilliant !! Wiki quotes Tommy Docherty as commenting that Hateley's passing should be labelled "to whom it may concern". Nonetheless, no disputing how effective he was in the air.
  • Options

Will never forget him rising to head the winner in front of the covered end. One of my first matches... Was it 1967? RIP Tony

Same here, I was standing behind Charlie Wrights goal. I'm sure Brum missed a penalty in front of the covered end that day?

• Options

Who does Tom play for

RIP Tony

I only remember Mark

I think he is playing abroad now, he used to play for Motherwell i think. RIP Tony i remember you well.

• Options
    Stone said:

Same here, I was standing behind Charlie Wrights goal. I'm sure Brum missed a penalty in front of the covered end that day?

It was 20 Sep 69. Hateley scored in the 70th min. Brum missed a penalty on 35 mins, awarded after Reeves fouled Hateley. From Home & Away.
  • Options
    Ok so one of us is wrong (long time ago I know) Was the goal or the penalty in front of the covered end? Can't be both.
  • Options

Sorry, Stone, I've only got H&A to go by, and that doesn't give ends ....
  • Options
    A true old school centre forward. Asked, and gave no quarter.
    RIP