Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Working in the city...

Long shot I know, but trying to secure a Summer internship at the moment and wondered if anybody on here works in the city and could help? In my second year of an Economics degree where I've consistently got 2.1s and looking at potentially going into a career in broking/trading/wealth management. Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Options
    I've sent you a PM.
  • Options
    Good luck, I tried for a summer and basically got nowhere having got a 2:1 in Investment and Financial Risk Management, and had to take a job desperately due to circumstances now :( stuck in a non degree related job like so many!
  • Options
    If your University is on the list of those that the big banks and investment houses visit to recruit during the year it would be worth you going along to that to see if you can get something set up there. Under those circumstances if you look the part you might be able to get something.

I don't think you have done yourself any harm asking on here but I'd be surprised if there are any of these type of positions available that don't go relatives of senior employees or clients.
  • Options
    I'm an Economics graduate, left uni in July and started on a grad scheme in Sept with a trading clearinghouse firm in the city. Definitely not in a position to get you a job (!) but can give some pointers on the application processes/tips etc. From my experience, most top places application deadlines were before Xmas, so you might wanna get moving fast if that's what you were hoping for! Give me a message if you like. Good luck
  • Options
    I have just had a look at the Summer Internship programme at the FCA on their web site. It's a worthwhile programme. (If you want to work in the industry where better than to start with the gamekeeper rather than one of the poachers?)
    Trouble is, application closing date was 13th December 2013. So you'd be too late for that one and I suspect many others too.
    I don't wish to be brutal but The City is a brutal environment and if you can't beat the multitude of other top-quality graduate job hunters who will have got their act together, done research on the web about what opportunities are available, at what firms and what those firms actually do then you've got little chance of appearing to be competitive. The City does love a self-starter.
  • Options
    I actually did a 6 week internship with the FCA (or FSA as it was at the time). It was an unpaid placement with food and travel expenses paid for, but I know the guy who operated the department was always happy to have people come in for work experience - afterall it cost him nothing. If you were interested in getting a decent name on your CV and weren't bothered about it being unpaid, I'd be happy to pass on details
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers.
    cafcfan said:

I have just had a look at the Summer Internship programme at the FCA on their web site. It's a worthwhile programme. (If you want to work in the industry where better than to start with the gamekeeper rather than one of the poachers?)
    Trouble is, application closing date was 13th December 2013. So you'd be too late for that one and I suspect many others too.
    I don't wish to be brutal but The City is a brutal environment and if you can't beat the multitude of other top-quality graduate job hunters who will have got their act together, done research on the web about what opportunities are available, at what firms and what those firms actually do then you've got little chance of appearing to be competitive. The City does love a self-starter.

Unfortunately missed the boat on this one and a couple of others. Had a lot of exams in January and chose to focus on those and try to sort the placement out now.

I actually did a 6 week internship with the FCA (or FSA as it was at the time). It was an unpaid placement with food and travel expenses paid for, but I know the guy who operated the department was always happy to have people come in for work experience - afterall it cost him nothing. If you were interested in getting a decent name on your CV and weren't bothered about it being unpaid, I'd be happy to pass on details

@MummysLittleSoldier - Would really appreciate that; not bothered about pay at all, just want some more experience on my CV. Any chance you could PM me your email please and I'll send over my CV and covering letter? Cheers.