Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newcastle suspend reserve team manager for allegedly striking player

The impression of Newcastle United as a club in chaos was reinforced on Thursday when it emerged that they have suspended Willie Donachie, their reserve team manager, for disciplinary reasons.

Donachie was alleged to have hit one of his players following the club's Under-21 side's 2-0 defeat at Sunderland on Monday night. The 62-year-old former Manchester City and Scotland full back has been told to stay away from the training ground while Newcastle conduct a thorough investigation into the events in the away dressing room at the Stadium of Light.

Donachie was furious at a performance which came 48 hours after Newcastle's first team had lost 3-0 to Sunderland at St James' Park and at a time when Mike Ashley, the club's owner, had made it clear he expects players to start graduating into Alan Pardew's side from the junior ranks.

Angry dressing room exchanges are understood to have ensued, eventually leading to a fight during which Donachie is alleged to have struck Remie Streete, a 19-year-old defender. When a complaint was made to Newcastle's hierachy, Donachie was suspended and an investigation opened.

Rated highly by many people inside St James' Park, he arrived at Newcastle in 2009 as Assistant Academy Director before being placed in charge of the Development Squad - the modern name for the reserves - a year later.

article here

Comments

• Options
    Just when you thought Newcastle United couldn't get any funnier...
  • Options
    Willie Donachie angry scottish bastard
  • Options
    Once a spanner, always a spanner
  • Options
    Better than doing a 'Steve Harrison'......

62 and still dishing out slaps, gotta love that.
  • Options
    Must've been Ranger.

But then I don't think that's an offence to hit him.
  • Options
    Many moons ago (just over 20 years ago) when I was training with the Charlton youth team there was a guy at Millwall who had a reputation for doing this regularly - Tom Whalley I think was his name.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Many moons ago (just over 20 years ago) when I was training with the Charlton youth team there was a guy at Millwall who had a reputation for doing this regularly - Tom Whalley I think was his name.

Yes indeed it was! When I trained and played for Millwall in my teens I regularly went to training in my CAFC shirt. One time he kicked me so hard, going in late on me as a 15 year old - he just smiled and said "that's what you get for wearing a fcuking Charlton shirt" ... nice man was Tom!