Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ice Hockey - Players scores but goal had moved?

So I'm watching ice hockey...

There's a bit of a scramble in the goal mouth and the goal MOVES.

What would happen if a player scored after the goal moved? Does it count?

If not, what stops a goalkeeper giving the goal a quick kick in a nervous moment?

This is bothering me.

Comments

• Options
    Also.... It annoys me when they go behind the goal whilst dribbling.

This is all.
  • Options
    Totally basing this on playing NHL games one Playstation over years, think they stop play when goals move and have one of them puck in things lol
  • Options
    Ahhh, one of those puckin' things? ;)
  • Options
    Yes, play stops if the goal is dislodged from its moorings, and if the net comes off a goal wouldn't count. Goaltenders have been known to "mistakenly" dislodge it at convenient times, but this (I believe) results in a delay of game penalty.

Goals have to be able to be moved, as players can be seriously injured if they don't give way. I think they are still held in place by magnets,
  • Options
    What annoys me is that they play it on ice, why play on something so slippery. So dangerous
  • Options
    Big fan of icehockey, really looking forward to the Winther Olympics - I'm a bit sad that my country Denmark didn't qualify, but it's going to be exciting either way!
  • Options

Yes, play stops if the goal is dislodged from its moorings, and if the net comes off a goal wouldn't count. Goaltenders have been known to "mistakenly" dislodge it at convenient times, but this (I believe) results in a delay of game penalty.

Goals have to be able to be moved, as players can be seriously injured if they don't give way. I think they are still held in place by magnets,

Good man. That's a perfect answer.

I did ask the girl behind the bar here who was saying she was a big hockey fan.. But she said she didn't know. Then it just bugged the absolute hell out of me.

I shall report your findings back ;)
  • Options
    LOL - a 'big hockey fan' who doesn't know the basic rules :)

This year's tournament should be a cracker. Canada are favourites, and have the best team - but they've often choked in the past (though not last time out, when the pressure must have been absolutely immense at home)

Russia are also heavily favoured, not just because they're playing at home, but also because they have some unbelievable talent (Ovechkin especially can absolutely dominate games)

If I had to pick an unfancied team to win it'd be Sweden. They've done it before, they have a better team this time round and the bigger ice will suit their players - who grow up playing on the larger surfaces than in the NHL/Canadian Juniors. They have leaders (Alfredsson, Backstrom, Zetterberg), explosive offensive talent (the Sedin twins are both mired in a scoring slump at the moment, but are a superb pairing when on form - again, the bigger ice will suit them), shutdown defensemen (Kronwall in particular is an absolute beast) and stellar goaltending (Lundqvist).

I'm backing Canada - as always. Go Sid!
  • Options
    Watching Canucks v canadiens live on premier sport,a channel I have never seen before on my virgin tv.
  • Options
    Ice Hockey is brilliant, real tough stuff! I seriously reccomend going to a game if you hop accross the pond. The regional "nursery" leagues in Canada are really good as well, CHL, OHL and WHL. Players play there until they're 21, having their education etc paid for and staying with a local family as well as training. Then they either leave to go to the NHL or go do something else they have qualifications for. If we were to ever start over again with league football in this country, the canadian hockey model would be the one i'd like to adopt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sweden will struggle I reckon Leroy due to most of the key players just returning from injury. Torts has openly said Henrik shouldn't even go. Stamkos has been pulled for Canada which was clearly the right decision but can't see Sweden doing the same. I can't wait to see some live hockey again at a fairly decent hour as the Winter Classics are the only time pre midnight all season! Will be hoping Kessel and JVR have a good tournament for the US and Kulemin for Russia but I'll be rooting for Canada. Just hope the Olympic break doesn't affect the Leafs current run too much though.

Best sport on the planet.
  • Options
    Urgh. Kessel. Never seen a more punchable sportsman in my life - with the exception of A-Rod and Alex Rae. Every time I see his fat face I want to muller him.

You may be right on Sweden - I just saw that Henrik has pulled out (or rather, pulled out after Tortorella talked it up in the press). Torts = Fergie. Prick.

Stamkos is a big loss for Canada, but they have so many other quality forwards who can step in. Biased, obviously as a Pens fan, but Neal would be my choice.
  • Options
    Keep hating Kessel and he'll keep scoring, a top pro, not interested in the media circus that comes with playing in Toronto at all, just gets his head down and destroys teams. He's been an absolute beast in recent weeks putting up crazy points, long may that continue, him and JVR are crazy good (cheers Philly!).

Yeah I've just seen Henrik has pulled out, actually surprised but fair play for resting him I say. Torts is a complete bell I agree, that farce with Calgary a few weeks back was laughable. But could you imagine the suspension model from the NHL being used in the PL?! 15 day suspension but that means absolutely no contact with the team whatsoever! No phone calls, no training, no sitting up in the stands on your mobile conducting proceedings anyway. That's a proper punishment! I'd pay good money to have seen Fergie or Jose have to deal with that.

Back to Canada anyway, I'd have gone with Neal too, I think he's a better natural finisher than MSL and that's what they're missing with Stamkos, but can see why Yserman picked him, could you imagine the fall out if he didn't?! Half of Canada was in uproar that he didn't make the initial roster anyway. The Tampa Bay camp would not be a happy one.
  • Options
    Saw my first NHL (Pens v Leafs) game back on October when in Toronto - really enjoyed it. Certainly better than the Medway Bears! Would like to see Canada win, if only to keep the large Canadian expat community here happy! They have as good as chance as any. Lot of pressure on Russia, but in Malkin/Ovechkin etc they have quality, but maybe not the depth.

Interested to see comments on James Neal, who has been on fire since returning from injury in November. Read that he lacked the speed for bigger rinks. Plus I think that, that misplaced knee in the head of Brad Marchand (who could blame him though!) may have put his disciplinary record under the spotlight just weeks ahead of squad selection. He must have been close given that he was in the initial training squad announced last summer. Canada could put 2 strong teams out!
  • Options
    I tell you what I don't understand about ice hockey and that's these mass, seemingly unspoken substitutions.
  • Options
    any sport that allows you to batter the shit out of someone whilst on a slippery surface is great entertainment
  • Options
    football always my first love but started watching Medway Bears in late eighties, then progressed to the London Knights. Follow the Blackhawks in the NHL, Have watched the Blackhawks in London and both stadiums in the windy city. As a sport it provides plenty of thrills and spills
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I tell you what I don't understand about ice hockey and that's these mass, seemingly unspoken substitutions.

They're called 'line changes'. Quite simply, the sport is so fast, that it's pretty much impossible to play at the required level of intensity for more than about 90 seconds.
  • Options
    I simply can't follow the little ball zinging around. The players collide against the plastic windows a lot, then there is aggro and the refs look so, I dunno, like roller skating waiters, when they arrive to sort out the violence.
    Diverting for five minutes or so I suppose.
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

They're called 'line changes'. Quite simply, the sport is so fast, that it's pretty much impossible to play at the required level of intensity for more than about 90 seconds.
    Indeed, each team usually has 4 attacking lines of 3 and 3 defending lines of 2. Changing every 60-90 seconds, the better players on each team attacking wise (the top line/s) will play about 20 minutes a night, defenders around 25, the worse players can sometimes only play around 5 minutes or if you're Colton Orr for the Leafs under a minute! But then he is just a puncher who skates...badly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014
    one of those sports that has to be watched live to appreciate just how athletic, quick, clever, tough and skillful these sportsmen are. and what a fantastic sport it is.

had the pleasure of seeing Gretzky when he was an Oiler...jesus, the man was on another planet.
  • Options
    Go Canada Go, and come you Leafs, and, of course, COYR. Love it.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

one of those sports that has to be watched live to appreciate just how athletic, quick, clever, tough and skillful these sportsmen are. and what a fantastic sport it is.

had the pleasure of seeing Gretzky when he was an Oiler...jesus, the man was on another planet.

Absolutely agree, was lucky to live in NY in 1994 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. Went to game 7 in the Conference Final when they beat the Devils in double overtime. Most amazing sporting atmosphere I've ever experienced. Mark Messier was unbelievable that season.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was trying to follow the match - but to be quite honest with you, I looked over at the other TV and it had some Dutch football on (Ajax I think); so turned around ;)

Looks like a good sport though, I work with a Czech lad who seems to like it - and he was trying to explain a lot of it to me; I've got a feeling it's something I'm going to have to see to get my head around.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Macronate said:

Absolutely agree, was lucky to live in NY in 1994 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. Went to game 7 in the Conference Final when they beat the Devils in double overtime. Most amazing sporting atmosphere I've ever experienced. Mark Messier was unbelievable that season.
    second that.

also saw Messier when he was an Oiler and playing with Gretzky, what a team that was.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Lemieux was as good, if not better, IMHO. Biased obviously as a Pens fan, but Gretzky had such an amazing support cast around him (Kurri, Messier, Tikkanen, Semenko, Anderson) that he could dominate games because he wasn't the only threat. Often when Mario was so dominant early in his career he was the only player on the ice who didn't suck. That's the mark of a true superstar - he elevates the average around him to become much better than they are.

Plus, Gretzky never beat cancer and came back the same season even better :)

Same argument could be said against Crosby. He's had fantastic teammates ever since he came into the league, so with his natural talent he was always going to be dominant.

Not knocking Gretzky, obviously. A legend. Just don't put as much distance between him, Mario and Howe as many others do.
  • Options
    I love it! Subscribe to Premier Sport just for the NHL and have many a late night/early morning watching it! Adopted team is the 'Canucks' who are currently having a Weston! Watched Prince George Cougars live in the WHL and was lucky enough to see LA Kings Colorado Avalanche in Vegas a few years back.

Great game, great pace and I love it how they smash hell out of each other then just get on with it! Oh for footballers to have such balls!
  • Options

Macronate said:

Lemieux was as good, if not better, IMHO. Biased obviously as a Pens fan, but Gretzky had such an amazing support cast around him (Kurri, Messier, Tikkanen, Semenko, Anderson) that he could dominate games because he wasn't the only threat. Often when Mario was so dominant early in his career he was the only player on the ice who didn't suck. That's the mark of a true superstar - he elevates the average around him to become much better than they are.

Plus, Gretzky never beat cancer and came back the same season even better :)

Same argument could be said against Crosby. He's had fantastic teammates ever since he came into the league, so with his natural talent he was always going to be dominant.

Not knocking Gretzky, obviously. A legend. Just don't put as much distance between him, Mario and Howe as many others do.
    i suppose conversely I would argue that Gretzky was outstanding in a truly great team.

but then we are both biased so we're both right.

just looked at the career stats for them both...wow!