Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club Statement

An investigation remains open into allegations that a Charlton player was racially abused by a home supporter during Saturday’s match against Birmingham City
Iain Liddle reports

An investigation remains open into allegations that a Charlton player was racially abused by a home supporter during Saturday’s match against Birmingham City.
Following a detailed examination of the available CCTV footage a suspect has now been identified and the club are currently working with police to locate them.
Charlton adopts a zero tolerance policy against racist behaviour and takes the allegations extremely seriously.
The club would also like to apologise to a supporter who was incorrectly identified in relation to the incident and passed on to local police on Saturday.

The individual concerned, who has been completely exonerated from any blame, accepts it was the result of a genuine error made in good faith and has offered his personal support to helping the club combat all forms of racism.

No further comment will be made at this time.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140212-club-statement-1356081.aspx#fo0vebCBaVHL1jUU.99

Comments

• Options
    If I was that fan I would be suing someone. For ruining my good name, Spending however many hours in the pokey. Having my liberty taken away. Being called a racist.........Poor fella.
  • Options
    so danny green gets off scot free!
  • Options
    Nah green has to wear one of his own tshirts

• Options

so danny green gets off scot free!

No he doesn't he has got himself a new nickname.
  • Options
    Some of these cooments are a bit harsh on Green I think. For one, he had the balls to say and report the incident and secondly, he reported it and then got put on before he could confirm the real culprit to the stewards
  • Options
    As I said in the other thread, everyone makes mistakes.

If Green apologises to the poor bloke who was wrongly accused, everyone should move on and let the club and police find and deal with the real culprit.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I thought the club would of been able to identify the culprit on CCTV there and then rather than just jump on a fan that was completely innocent. Someone must of said it was 100% him. A "I think it was him" is surely not enough grounds to nick someone.

That could of been anyone of us. How would you feel? when you are protesting your innocence but know one is listening or cares all because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can this thread be deleted? sorry I didn't realise it was running on anther thread.
  • Options
    interesting that someone on here posted that they had got the wrong person and the people around had pointed it out to the stewards and pointed out the right person but been ignored. Absolutely useless stewarding if true which it would appear to be.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I was in the East Stand at the Weds home game. Some fella sitting in the block near the weds end was looking into the South Stand cheering giving it the old 1-0 sign when we went 1-0 up. One of the Heavy Mob came into the stand and started saying to him. "Stop looking at them lot and keep your eyes on the game or your out"

Very Harsh and bullish if you ask me. The bloke had done nothing to warrant that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    But when that reject Connor Wickham scored one of the Wendy fans came over the barrier and the same stewart ran over to him and threw him out. He was on it like dracular in a blood bank
  • Options

If Green apologises to the poor bloke who was wro4 gly accused, everyone should Didn't on and let the club and police find and deal with the real culprit.

Would you just move on if you had been hauled out of ur seat marched out the ground chucked in the back of a meat wagon questioned and held for hours and for 4 days being branded a racist?
    Didnt think so

• Options
    League one grass.

A championship quality grass would have fingered the right person;-)

In all seriousness at least he had the bottle to speak up as cafc99 rightly said.
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

I thought the club would of been able to identify the culprit on CCTV there and then rather than just jump on a fan that was completely innocent. Someone must of said it was 100% him. A "I think it was him" is surely not enough grounds to nick someone.

That could of been anyone of us. How would you feel? when you are protesting your innocence but know one is listening or cares all because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    poor stewarding in my opinion. By the time they reacted, green had been put on and could not 100% identify him. The stewards then decided to act and got tbe wrong man.

• Options
    Everytime I see 'club statement' I think it's gonna be about Chris Powell!!!
  • Options
    Another Charlton cock-up, the list goes on.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I bet you love it when we lose don't you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014

I bet you love it when we lose don't you?
    No.

• Options
    Nothing wrong with the word twit is there?
  • Options

If Green apologises to the poor bloke who was wro4 gly accused, everyone should Didn't on and let the club and police find and deal with the real culprit.

Would you just move on if you had been hauled out of ur seat marched out the ground chucked in the back of a meat wagon questioned and held for hours and for 4 days being branded a racist?
    Didnt think so

If the club, the police and the player who pointed me out all apologised to me, then yes I would just move on.
  • Options

Didnt think so

Has this person spent four days being branded a racist? What does that even mean? If, as is suggested, everyone there knew it was the wrong bloke, then who has been doing this alleged branding?
  • Options
    Good statement for a change. Hope they sort it out for the wrongly accused bloke.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Nothing wrong with the word twit is there?

If it was the word twit. Even so, we're trying to get away from name calling.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Now give the mistaken supporter and their family a lovely day out at the QPR game, complete with a slap up lunch, and a slap up tea.

Leave it Seth.............................they have suffered enough :-)
  • Options
    That Greengrass picture has proper made me giggle