Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Laughing At The End Of The Game.......

.......when they've not just lost but been absolutely stuffed.

I used to hate losing but would be positively embarrassed if the team I was playing for got a mauling. And I wasn't even being paid to do my best.

Yet how many times do we see at the end of the game players laughing and joking with opposition players they might know? Almost as if they can't wait 'til they have a drink with their mates in the privacy of the players lounge.

And the most recent example of this? At the end of the Newcastle v Spurs game Taylor trudges off looking somewhat mortified by what's happened. Meantime Sissoko is making Lloris, Kaboul and Capoue crack up with his latest stand up routine.

Where's the pride?

Comments

• .......when they've not just lost but been absolutely stuffed.

I used to hate losing but would be positively embarrassed if the team I was playing for got a mauling. And I wasn't even being paid to do my best.

Yet how many times do we see at the end of the game players laughing and joking with opposition players they might know? Almost as if they can't wait 'til they have a drink with their mates in the privacy of the players lounge.

And the most recent example of this? At the end of the Newcastle v Spurs game Taylor trudges off looking somewhat mortified by what's happened. Meantime Sissoko is making Lloris, Kaboul and Capoue crack up with his latest stand up routine.

Where's the pride?

I had exactly the same thought.

Difficult to imagine Chopper Harris having a chuckle with Billy Bremner in the same circs.
  • edited February 2014
    Riviera said:

It's a game of football for goodness sake. Whether anyone is paid millions to play is irrelevant, the point being someone is paying them.
    From start to finish in any sport you give your best but when the final whistle goes it's over and you should chill out.
    Sport is there to be enjoyed when played and not to be agonised about afterwards.

Oh yes of course you were a bundle of fun every time you lost!

And money does have a big say in it because fans pay the players' wages and expect them to try their best. And clearly Newcastle simply didn't turn up.

• I thought that as well! Taylor looked distraught, while Sissoko didn't have a care in the world. Yes, players need to switch off after a defeat, but to react like that immediately after a terrible defeat didn't look good for me.
    Ajdarevic looked genuinely gutted after Saturday's game, maybe he's a good actor, but to me it looked like someone who cared
  • I really don't remember.....ever losing.

Fans pay the wages? Ha! In the 1950's maybe. Man Utd pay out £4m in wages each week. That, under your old fashioned beliefs would make an Old Trafford season ticket cost about £4,500.
  • Riviera said:

I really don't remember.....ever losing.

Fans pay the wages? Ha! In the 1950's maybe. Man Utd pay out £4m in wages each week. That, under your old fashioned beliefs would make an Old Trafford season ticket cost about £4,500.

Directly or indirectly through Tickets, merchandise, Sky etc etc they do. No fans no football end of.

And you do lose quite regularly. On here but you'll never admit it!

• I've got no problem with players getting on with each other, sharing a joke, going for a beer, etc.

But maybe show a bit of common and at least give it a minute or two after your pals team have just taken you to the woodshed before you start high fiving him.

Us fans can be a sensitive bunch when we've just taken a spanking at home.
  • edited February 2014

And you do lose quite regularly. On here.

Never.
  • I think it depends on how the players themselves preformed. If they put in 100% effort but were mauled by a much better team on the day then fair enough, if they didn't try then it would piss me off to see them laughing afterwards.
  • I agree with the OP. After a defeat like that i don't feel like laughing and joking. I understand Riviera's point but its common sense that there is a time and place for everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Quite simply players view a team as a profession, we view it as a passion.
  • Huskaris said:

Quite simply players view a team as a profession, we view it as a passion.

Agreed - but if I turned in a days work like that I wouldn't call myself "professional",
  • Huskaris said:

True, but if it's only a job to them at least be professional enough to save the laughing and joking until you're back in the changing room.

Fans want to see the players hurting as much as they are, if they don't feel it, at least fake it.................
  • This is a very interesting argument, I once heard the great Aussie Rugby League coach Wayne Bennett say he really did not mind if players had a laugh after a game they had lost - provided they had given 100% on the field.

His point was that anyone could act up after a game and make a real show of how gutted they were to lose, that's not hard at all.

But he said the reaction of the really top players after a loss was that they would put in even greater efforts in the next week of training to try and lift the whole group to a better performance and would generally take a disproportionate amount of the blame for the loss because they expected so much of themselves.
  • I agree with the op too.

When I lose a Sunday league match I usually have the raving. And it happens nearly every sunday.
  • Same here Randy - But it costs me a tenner for the privilege. Double raving
  • On reflection, I think the acid test is to think of how many Managers you've seen laughing and joking when they shake hands having seen their side on the end of a drubbing. And I'm not talking about Man City vs Yeovil in the Cup but where there are two sides of comparable ability.

It simply doesn't happen. Could it just be because the player is in the comfort zone of knowing that he won't get sacked in the morning?

• Laughing and joking. It could be worse, the player could have falsely accused someone of using racist language and had them thrown out of the stadium and arrested.
  • I think its a matter of the fans being overly sensitive when a game hasn't gone their way. Any excuse to have a moan.

Its a not too dissimilar notion to your everyday person having a shite day at the office and then going for a beer straight afterwards.
  • cafctom said:

I think its a matter of the fans being overly sensitive when a game hasn't gone their way. Any excuse to have a moan.

Its a not too dissimilar notion to your everyday person having a shite day at the office and then going for a beer straight afterwards.

But if you'd just lost your boss a big contract, would you then walk around the office in front of him laughing and joking? If you valued your job, you'll probably save it til you've clocked off...............
  • Sponsored links:

cafctom said:

I think its a matter of the fans being overly sensitive when a game hasn't gone their way. Any excuse to have a moan.

But if you'd just lost your boss a big contract, would you then walk around the office in front of him laughing and joking? If you valued your job, you'll probably save it til you've clocked off...............
    Mind you.....it was Pardew :0)
  • cafctom said:

Losing one game of a 46 game season doesn't equate to losing your boss a big contract.

If we were to be relegated, then I would not expect or want to see players in good spirits about it.
  • Huskaris said:

Agreed - but if I turned in a days work like that I wouldn't call myself "professional",

Huskaris said:

True, but if it's only a job to them at least be professional enough to save the laughing and joking until you're back in the changing room.

Fans want to see the players hurting as much as they are, if they don't feel it, at least fake it.................
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you both, it is unacceptable in my opinion and I wouldn't be happy.

But I'm just saying that's probably why it happens, and in reference to your comments, I think you'll find in the case of many footballers, the word professional definitely need not apply!
  • edited February 2014
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Losing one game of a 46 game season doesn't equate to losing your boss a big contract.

If we were to be relegated, then I would not expect or want to see players in good spirits about it.
    They lost 4-0.

A bit more than not gone their way. I don't see what could be funny about 50,000 pissed off fans who paid their money. If it was a narrow defeat then it could be acceptable but i find it amazing that a player could take it so lightly immediately after the final whistle.

• Can see both sides of it. As a fan you don't want to see one of your players laughing and joking with the opposition after a defeat, but on the other hand to the players it's just a job.

Another thing that would annoy me (if i supported them) is when you see some players swapping shirts as they walk off at half time. It only really happens at the top level and i know these big clubs all have spare clean shirts they change into but as a fan do you really want to see your players swapping shirts mid match.
  • Can see both sides of it. As a fan you don't want to see one of your players laughing and joking with the opposition after a defeat, but on the other hand to the players it's just a job.

Another thing that would annoy me (if i supported them) is when you see some players swapping shirts as they walk off at half time. It only really happens at the top level and i know these big clubs all have spare clean shirts they change into but as a fan do you really want to see your players swapping shirts mid match.

Johnnie Jackson has gone one better and arranged to swap shirts before a game!
  • If they don't feel hurt after a game. A heavy 4-0 defeat at home, then they are in the wrong profession and stealing a living, they simply don't care enough.
    I understand a few of the opposing points made, but if you lose a game and can laugh about it directly afterwards, then that signals to me that the required effort was not put in during the match.

You can't turn it on and off like a light switch. Newcastle have very passionate fans, they pay to watch an honest game of football and the players indirectly mug them off. In most circumstances that kind of thing would be taking the p*ss out the manager, but pardew doesn't count.
  • I get the idea that a lot of foreign players especially, don't give a hoot about the team they are playing for, they are just here for the money .. many give the impression during a match as well as during the after match 'pleasantries' that this is the case .. 'we're only in it for the money' .. is the motto for far too many who have come from overseas.. Pardew looks to have a lot of those in his squad .. there are others of course, like Tioté for instance, who always look as though they are committed and are real professionals