Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footballers with depression

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but Jordan cousins gets a mention in the piece in sky sports. Mentions his mum was diagnosed with cancer and they helped him through it. Good to hear she's in remission and just goes to show alongside the Ben Alnwick situation with his family that when things are put in perspective, football results mean little.

Comments

• Options
    Leon McKenzie the first name that hits my head when I read this title, takes a brave man to come out with it and an even braver one to come out the other side. Anyone can get depressed money or not, professional footballer or not.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Leon McKenzie the first name that hits my head when I read this title, takes a brave man to come out with it and an even braver one to come out the other side. Anyone can get depressed money or not, professional footballer or not.

Indeed. Depression is a mental health issue. People think of it as a weakness, but it's an illness.
  • Options

Indeed. Depression is a mental health issue. People think of it as a weakness, but it's an illness.
    Spot on BOC. Spot on.

It matters not how much money you earn or how life takes you, it can grab you and give you a kick in the nadgers at any time.
  • Options
    Micky Bennett and our club Chaplain (Matt Baker at a guess) were on a SSN article where they mentioned about Cousins' situation , also called him a right back!
  • Options
    You can be depressed if you are a nurse, a dust binman, lorry driver, politician, footballer or unemployed.

Every job, way of life has its ups and downs. People just find it hard to understand there might be a depressed person behind the footballer that appears to live a dream lifestyle.

That probably makes things more difficult for the player himself, out of fear that he might get minimum support, sympathy. Man's game etc. Thing about that is that depression in men is on the rise anyway. I for one know that.

Clarke Carsile is probably always on the other end of the line for those guys considering his experiences and understanding.