Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Special Train

Chelsea have one going to Manchester, tenner I believe - we should have one for Sheffield (not dry like theirs though)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Massive upfront commitment to hire. I think the Carlisle one (which wasn't sanctioned) was £25k.

Used to have them to Wadsley Bridge - a closed station near Hillsborough - in the 1980s, but it can't be used any more.
  • Options
    Wasn't sanctioned ? by who ? Special into Sheffield, Chelsea have one today (I believe) into Manchester
  • Options
    Chelsea train is a subsidised £10, as are their coaches.

City are charging them 27.50 for upper tier, 25 lower
  • Options
    Used to love travelling on the specials - not an ICF type, beers and cards - lovely
  • Options

Wasn't sanctioned ? by who ? Special into Sheffield, Chelsea have one today (I believe) into Manchester

The board. We had it all lined up, but they weren't convinced enough people would use it.
  • Options
    How many would the train hold
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    500, from recollection.
  • Options

500, from recollection.

was that Carlisle or chelsea
  • Options

The board. We had it all lined up, but they weren't convinced enough people would use it.
    OK, Cheers Airman - bad news that decision. Would we not be able to break even at a tenner a head on a full (must be more than 500) train to Sheffield ?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

500, from recollection.

was that Carlisle or chelsea
    Carlisle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

OK, Cheers Airman - bad news that decision. Would we not be able to break even at a tenner a head on a full (must be more than 500) train to Sheffield ?
    I think you only get about 50 seats in a carriage, so 500 in a ten-carriage train, 600 in 12. Charter trains usually have to be booked ages in advance because they have to be booked as train paths in the schedule. Obviously, Chelsea managed it in under three weeks.

I'm guessing a special to Sheffield would have been at least £15k, maybe £20k. Say £18k and 600 people that's £30 per head, but crucially you get a cut of the ticket revenue too. Would probably work, but I guess it would just be seen as a risk.

I know this will be seen as a loaded comment, but the truth is there is no one left inside club (except possibly Mick Everett) who would bring this forward as an idea and make it happen. It also has to be properly stewarded and managed on the day.

Maybe it's something the Trust should take up when the opportunity arises.
  • Options
    Difference to remember, Chelseas today gets back in time to get other trains and tubes. A midweek one doesn't so you'd need to factor in additional costs of getting people back out locally.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Difference to remember, Chelseas today gets back in time to get other trains and tubes. A midweek one doesn't so you'd need to factor in additional costs of getting people back out locally.

Absolutely - wouldn't be good in midweek, although I believe we did that previously too.

Of course, today shows another reason why it's a risk.
  • Options

Send it down the Thameslink Route. Just before St Pancras they divert off and go to London Bridge. Once it was there it could go round the Woolwich Arsenal to Sidcup loop.

I also think anyone with a train ticket for East Midlands trains London to Sheffield dated for today should get it free.

Sorted.
  • Options

I can walk home from King Cross so I'm good

All round my Islington one bedroom flat after?

• Options

Send it down the Thameslink Route. Just before St Pancras they divert off and go to London Bridge. Once it was there it could go round the Woolwich Arsenal to Sidcup loop.

I also think anyone with a train ticket for East Midlands trains London to Sheffield dated for today should get it free.

Sorted.
    If only ...
  • Options
    Sure I saw a Stoke special pulling out of Charlton back in the 70's - special to Sheff - I'm, onit
  • Options
    Boat and barge trip. Sorted.
  • Options

Sure I saw a Stoke special pulling out of Charlton back in the 70's - special to Sheff - I'm, onit

Would love to have spotted that. What route would it have gone to get across london?

• Options
    edited February 2014

Would love to have spotted that. What route would it have gone to get across london?

With you mate, puzzled me - but it happened, I'm sure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Via Lewisham, Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction? Sorry to sound like a trainspotter, but when we were lodging at Sell-Out Park, I noticed at Norwood Junction the train that Blackburn fans had hired to get there. It was a diesel multiple-unit, like those that potter along country branches.

• Options
    Probably a late class20/27 mainline diesel. The 27 withdawn from passenger service c1987 but any of the old fleet would have still been useful for football special services. The route is another matter. I think you're right Viewfinder but i understand it wasn't a passenger route through our Selhurst years. No doubt someone on here will have timetables for Clapham/ Olympia/ Willesden Jct services to prove me wrong..
  • Options

Probably a late class20/27 mainline diesel. The 27 withdawn from passenger service c1987 but any of the old fleet would have still been useful for football special services. The route is another matter. I think you're right Viewfinder but i understand it wasn't a passenger route through our Selhurst years. No doubt someone on here will have timetables for Clapham/ Olympia/ Willesden Jct services to prove me wrong..

It wasn't loco-hauled - it was one of the first-generation diesel multiple-units, possibly in general use on the Preston to Colne branch. Bizarre to think that it came all the way from Blackburn up the West Coast main line and round via Olympia and Clapham Junction to Norwood Junction.

• Options
    My mate wrote off the loco and one of the coaches of Im pretty sure the Liverpool supporters train at Selhurst in the early 90s!
  • Options

I think you only get about 50 seats in a carriage, so 500 in a ten-carriage train, 600 in 12. Charter trains usually have to be booked ages in advance because they have to be booked as train paths in the schedule. Obviously, Chelsea managed it in under three weeks.

I'm guessing a special to Sheffield would have been at least £15k, maybe £20k. Say £18k and 600 people that's £30 per head, but crucially you get a cut of the ticket revenue too. Would probably work, but I guess it would just be seen as a risk.

I know this will be seen as a loaded comment, but the truth is there is no one left inside club (except possibly Mick Everett) who would bring this forward as an idea and make it happen. It also has to be properly stewarded and managed on the day.

Maybe it's something the Trust should take up when the opportunity arises.
    We can look into it to see if the idea can be put together quickly. Away travel not really an area we look at but this is the cup and a silver lining to a very cloudy season.
  • Options

Sorted.
    If only ...
    If only indeed. I seem to remember the 'special' going to Gillingham in the cup a fews ago which did a marvellous tour of Kent, managing to avoid the Woolwich line altogether with pick up points such as Hither Green and New Cross.

• Options

Really?
  • Options
    Special train service for Sheff Wed midweek ,think we do not have enough time to put this together.
    Now if normal train service still runs into London after the 5th round game Sheff Wed ie arriving back at 1am or so maybe some coaches could be layed on to get fans back to selondon and beyond at cost.Done before Liverpool cup game midweek.......But still think the notice is too short.
  • Options
    cab to sunbury would be cool :)