Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

car crashes. anyone had 1?

i've been fortunate enough to have 18 months driving an old banger with nothing.
6 months after buying a decent motor, this afternoon someone behind me decides his brakes are the pedal on the right and rams me up the arse on the blackheath standard roundabout. this pushes me into the car in front. his is a right off (imo) managed to drive mine home (need new boot, rear wing and bumper thingy), car in front minimal damage.
we all exchanged details but i haven't got a clue what i'm supposed to do as this is a first for me.
he admitted liability so i shouldn't be out of pocket right?

Comments

• Options
    ScoSco
    edited April 2007
    He admitted liability - got witnesses (and their details) to the crash/him saying that?
  • Options
    Phone up your insurance company.

They should be able to advise you through all this.

You pay your premiums to them so now expect a service from them for your money.
  • Options
    In my experience - what people say at the scene and what they tell their insurance company are two different things (Nine times out of Ten they tell you want you want to hear!) - Sorry to sound like a scrooge - it's just it happened to me, I got hit from behind and they guy admitted it at the time then told his insurance company that "I reduced his breaking distance!! I was in a queue of traffic!)

Get on to your insurance company and they will send all the paper work out to you! Bit of a long process but hopefully you are with a decent company that will fight your cause - as I wasn't - At the time I was with Diamond (STAY AWAY GIRLS THEY ARE CR*P!! Might be cheap but they are terrible!!)

Mx
  • Options
    police were 5 cars behind but because no-one was hurt they didn't wanna know once the traffic was flowing again.
    haven't got witness details and to be fair the bloke seemed very genuine (i f***ing hope so anyhow). if he denies liability to his insurers he is basically saying i reversed into him at 30 mph after touching the car in front.
  • Options
    If you hit someone up the arse it's your fault, everytime...

I had this old dear do an emergency stop infront of me at a green traffic light, god knows what she was thinking about, it screwed up the forks on my motorbike and cost about £1K to repair her car....

I disputed the whole thing suggesting she shouldn't be allowed to drive, but there ya go, that's the law....you should be fine.

Though the bloke infront of you claims off of you and you claim both off the one behind.....well that's how it worked when I was in a 5 car pile up on the M25...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]police were 5 cars behind but because no-one was hurt they didn't wanna know once the traffic was flowing again.
    haven't got witness details and to be fair the bloke seemed very genuine (i f***ing hope so anyhow). if he denies liability to his insurers he is basically saying i reversed into him at 30 mph after touching the car in front.

You shuld be ok with this me thinks.

Talk to your insurance company, If you are comprehensive, you will be able to get it all done whilst the insurance company deals with the other insurance company.
  • Options
    As Ian said

Not your fault. The fella who went into you is liable for your damage and the car in front of you. May take a while to get weighed out but I assume your fully comp and so long as he is insured then you have nowt to worry about except the aching in your neck and shoulders I'm sure will come on!!
  • Options
    The Fact you were hit from behind will all come out in the wash anyway, his Insurance company will still try & wriggle out of liability with some stalling tactics but eventually they accept 100% liability. The only problem is that the guy in front will be claiming for any damage off of you, even though you hitting him is not directly your fault, his insurance will claim of yours if there is any damage to his car.

Hope you are ok though fella, reckon you could get some free Physio due to that stiff neck you have got at the moment...?
  • Options
    just spoke to insurance firm. seems pretty straight forward. just hope the bloke is as honest as he seemed.
    thanks guys and gals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The Fact you were hit from behind will all come out in the wash anyway, his Insurance company will still try & wriggle out of liability with some stalling tactics but eventually they accept 100% liability. The only problem is that the guy in front will be claiming for any damage off of you, even though you hitting him is not directly your fault, his insurance will claim of yours if there is any damage to his car.

Hope you are ok though fella, reckon you could get some free Physio due to that stiff neck you have got at the moment...?
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The Fact you were hit from behind will all come out in the wash anyway, his Insurance company will still try & wriggle out of liability with some stalling tactics but eventually they accept 100% liability. The only problem is that the guy in front will be claiming for any damage off of you, even though you hitting him is not directly your fault, his insurance will claim of yours if there is any damage to his car.

Question 1. Despite Old Bill being on the scene did you get witness statements ?

Question 2. Has the other bloke (in front) got Insurance ?

Question 3. Who are you insured with ?

If you can answer yes to the first two questions, and the answer to the third is not Direct Line you should be OK.

BUT I parked my Motor quite legally some months ago to watch my lad play football. Once the game had finished we were walking back to the car which was covered in Old Bill and had a SAAB parked in the boot.

Said SAAB was nicked, being driven by a drunk, aged 19, 3 times over the limit and who had been disqualified for 2 years. And was in a police chase at the time.

SAAB driver got a further 6 points on the licence he hasn't got, fined £500 and asked for time to pay which was agreed at £1 per week. Old Bills advice ? " Don't bother taking any civil action he can't pay, here's his name and address if you want to go round and try to arrange Compo yourself !"

Result ? My 2 Year old 3 Series BMW written off, Direct Line gave me £7,000 (After a fight) which did not quite cover the outstanding finance and I had to go out and finance another car entirely at my own cost, through no fault of my own.

Can anyone explain why so many people take the risk and drive without insurance these days ?

Could it be that all insurance Companies are money grabbing Barstewards who really don't give a f**k so long as they get their(overpriced) premiums?

Discuss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JWADDICK

I could not agree more with you old chap.

Insurance companies are right up there with estate agents in my scummy jobs to do and just down from politicians.

Proffesional liars the lot of them
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Had one almost 6 years ago now, guy rammed my pride and joy Celica from behind at 75mph when I was stationary on the M11 slip road to Stanstead.

Not sure if there were any official witnesses, although it was likely I guess, but the Police said the same thing to me while I was in hospital, that unless he tried to claim I was driving backwards down the slip road at 60+ mph, then he couldn't escape liability. As it turned out he fessed up and it got sorted, although the injury claim lasted best part of 4 years.

I think the shunt effected about four or five cars in front of me and they all claimed of each other, but ultimately it will be his insurance that coughs up in total.

Once you hand the details over, it is generally taken out of your hands, unless there is some physical injury involved.
  • Options
    If you have a camera on your phone, take a few pictures of the scene / damage etc. and more importantly the number plate - sounds silly but I had one case where the other party gave me the wrong reg (i went round his house and the car had changed colour and make...). Insurance co refused to pay him out even though it was my fault!
  • Options
    JW Addick and anybody else......

This site might prove useful......

http://www.mib.org.uk/MIB/en/Default.htm
  • Options
    Cheers Len, I went down that route but the excess on my policy wasn't sufficient to qualify.

So if you take a lower excess (to reduce the Premium to an affordable level) the MIB don't give a toss.

In my case I seem to remember that the minimum excess to qualify was £350.00 . Mine was only £200 which BTW I still had to pay, for the privelege of the Insurance Co telling the damage wasn't economical to repair.

On the new motor I've taken out GAP cover with the dealer which means if the Car is written off I am guaranteed a payout of the amount I originally paid for the car whatever the write off value is.
  • Options
    JW, very sensible, i had a crash once, wrote off the car (and a few parked ones!) and the prick insurance robbers only gave me half of what i owed on the car! I hate insurance, its just a flippin scam!
  • Options
    Always get ID and check the car tax is up to date - the number of cars on the road without car tax/where the drivers are uninsured is amazing. You swap details and then find out that the car that hit you doesn't officially exist - then you get to pay out for someone else's accident. At least check the tax disk, that'll give you a clue as to whether the insurance is paid up or not.
  • Options
    contacted my insurers who had already been contacted by the bloke who hit me up the arse. either him or his insurers are claiming i hit the car in front of me (who aren't making a claim as it only cracked her number plate), then he ran into the back of me (writing his car off). this wasn't the case, he f***ing rammed me into her.
    the woman who he pushed me into is willing to be (the only) witness.
    does this sound like the sort of thing an insurance firm would try to do? or do i go up to northampton and write the c***s face off?
  • Options
    Did she witness him accepting liability?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]Did she witness him accepting liability?

don't know. we were swapping details etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PBS i genuinely feel that they are trying it on. As you said you only cracked the number plate. and it's genuinely accepted that it's your fault if you go in the back of someone, so if the person you went into isn't making a claim then i wouldn't worry.

As i said before, and i'm in the insurance business, allbeit not motor, this is where you need advice from your insurance company, and i would be taking notes of names etc when you talk to them.
  • Options
    cheers stanmore. i thought that was the case.
  • Options
    Sounds like a try on Bacon. Use your anger as energy and get them to know you mean business. He has got far less chance of producing a witness to back up his "side" of the story than you have. If he calls you a liar, that is slander BTW.
  • Options
    Refer him to the part of the highway code where it says you must maintain a safe stopping distance at all times. So, even if you DID hit the woman in front, he should've left enough room to stop safely - therefore it's still HIS fault that he hit you. You only hit someone with the back of your car if you're reversing!
  • Options
    You will be fine dude I done this to someone my insurance payed up (as long as the guy has insurance). The old dear in front of me on a roundabout did not go when she should of and i went she didnt and I tapped here car. ho hum.