Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church?

Have I missed something as S.C. was not mentioned in Saturdays Guardian team sheet (oh for those happy Prem days of yesteryear!) ?

Comments

• Options
    spurs want him as a replacement for defoe :)
  • Options
    I guess Sordell is being given an opportunity at the moment so Church has been resigned to the bench or was he not even on there?
  • Options

I guess Sordell is being given an opportunity at the moment so Church has been resigned to the bench or was he not even on there?

No. Nor injured/doubtful etc. But thanks for the response.
  • Options
    waldo said:

I would think then that its the Guardian showing a lack of journalism then i.e. with four strikers now at Powell's disposal I'd be surprised if all didnt make the Matchday squad
  • Options

waldo said:

I would think then that its the Guardian showing a lack of journalism then i.e. with four strikers now at Powell's disposal I'd be surprised if all didnt make the Matchday squad
    Guardian - lack of journalism - are you serious? It did note that he is our top scorer though.
  • Options
    waldo said:

waldo said:

Guardian - lack of journalism - are you serious? It did note that he is our top scorer though.
    oh dear
  • Options
    I rate Simon Church. I wish the whole squad had the same attitude as him. 100% every time he puts a red shirt on. Runs his arse off. Proper pro.
  • Options
    eug72 said:

I rate Simon Church. I wish the whole squad had the same attitude as him. 100% every time he puts a red shirt on. Runs his arse off. Proper pro.

I agree, is he still on the motorway running back from Sheffield?
  • Options

eug72 said:

You should be a comedian. Funny man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    eug72 said:

eug72 said:

You should be a comedian. Funny man.
    Like the 'Lockstock' line there 72 :-)))
  • Options
    Like him as a man but players like simon church are exactly why we are in this mess. Playing at à level they are clearly not good enough for, sadly.
  • Options

Like him as a man but players like simon church are exactly why we are in this mess. Playing at à level they are clearly not good enough for, sadly.

Yeah right. Been missing chances left right and centre. LOL

• Options
    Have to agree, runs around a lot and works hard but does not have the quality.

The Sheffield Wednesday last minute chance sums him up, no composure in front of goal and never going to threaten the top of the goal-scoring charts.
  • Options

Yeah right. Been missing chances left right and centre. LOL

Where did i say that?

• Options
    Hey guys (and girls?) leave it out. All I asked was 'why was he not on Saturday's team sheet'? I didn't ask for the bloke (who, incidentally is still our top goal scorer) to be assasinated here!
  • Options
    They were wrong
  • Options
    Watching the Everton game yesterday I noticed the amount of running Steven Naismith was doing and really reminded me of our own Simon Church... Also read on the BBC Sport site that fans were amazed he'd scored four goals in six appearances of late...

Going back to the Swansea game and Naismith by running his socks off scored a goal and by being a nuisance won us a penalty... Churchy just needs the same break in front of goal (as he started off well for us) and should have had a penalty against Reading, nothing wrong with having a worker like that in the team, and still reckon had Wiggins not gone off injured against Wigan then Church would have appeared in the later stages to make a nuisance of himself to run and keep the ball and inevitably help us hold on to the win
  • Options

waldo said:

I can see certain people frothing at the mouth as they read that comment!! ;o)
  • Options
    eug72 said:

I bet you liked Wagstaff as well.

You can run your arse off all day long but if there's no end product, what's the point!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

eug72 said:

You can run your arse off all day long but if there's no end product, what's the point!
    Yet Football is a team game... sometimes its not always about getting in scoring positions but putting in a shift for your team mates
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

eug72 said:

Yet Football is a team game... sometimes its not always about getting in scoring positions but putting in a shift for your team mates
    and why we've only scored 23 goals in 28 games
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

eug72 said:

Would love to see his assists stats then, I bet it's not many!
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

eug72 said:

Off the top of my head I cannot remember any of Church's undeniable effort actually directly helping out any other player. No assists that I can think of, he's not any kind of threat in a penalty box when a ball comes in, defenders don't panic when they see Simon Church running towards them, they take their time, and they can afford to.

There is putting in a shift for the team, and then there is running around like burnt-arse bluebottle achieving f*** all. Church falls squarely into the latter as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    eug72 said:

He may give 100%, but of that 100% there is about 10% ability. Big guy, but can't hold the ball or hold off an opponent. So slow. Doesn't get in the positions regularly enough to score goals. I don't rate him, at all.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Essex_Al said:

eug72 said:

Off the top of my head I cannot remember any of Church's undeniable effort actually directly helping out any other player. No assists that I can think of, he's not any kind of threat in a penalty box when a ball comes in, defenders don't panic when they see Simon Church running towards them, they take their time, and they can afford to.

There is putting in a shift for the team, and then there is running around like burnt-arse bluebottle achieving f*** all. Church falls squarely into the latter as far as I can tell.
    Were you not at the Oxford replay when he squared the ball for Green? He could have easily had an attempt himself, but gave Green a tap in.
  • Options
    Certainly a trier and scored a great goal away at Blackburn for 3 vital points in October. Also took his goal well away at Huddersfeld in the cup however he has a poor goals to games ratio (31 in 176 league appearances for his various clubs and 2 in 25 as a full Welsh International according to wiki). This is the reason why he was a free agent available in the bargain basement at the end of the August transfer window. Enough said.
  • Options
    I thought I read somewhere though that he's had more assists than Dale Stephens this season?
  • Options
    with better service from midfield and a decent partner/winger alongside, he'd be OK .. remember his Hudds goal got us this far in the cup .. (alright he didn't do it alone, but it was a very well taken goal)