Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Five league defeats?

We are currently on a run of four defeats in the league and the last time we lost five on the bounce was in 2006, back in the Premier League - and that run included both Chelsea and Arsenal. We haven't lost six in a row since the 1998-99 season.

With QPR at home coming up (hardly the weakest team in the division) before the glory Cup game I am inclined to think that we should be forgetting about the cup until we take care of business in the league. With Leicester away as our next league game (with Barnsley being postponed again) we could well find ourselves on a worse run than in all but one of our Premier League seasons.

I'm all for the FA Cup and a day out at Wembley but if we don't get a point in one of the next two games Powell will have the worst run of results since last century against his name, and I'd prefer that be avoided.

Richard Murray's comment about us being in a results business looks more and more ominous for the manager.

Comments

• Options
    The sensible money will be on a strong team selection for the QPR game in the hope of nicking something then make a decision on the cup game.

If the lads run themselves into the ground against QPR I doubt it will be same team that faces Wed. If QPR play us off the park and a few players "go missing" then the same team might be possible.

I am not expecting any points against QPR or Leicester so it could well be six defeats on the bounce?
  • Options
    We may have a couple of loans in for QPR who will play and then not be eligible for Monday.

The likes of Hamer and Wiggins may also be available but probably not fit for both.

QPR has to be a priority as although they are third, they have lost their last two and are not unbeatable. A good performance on Sat would surely give the player confidence going into Monday's game.
  • Options
    I didn't see anything at Loftus Road that made me think we have to lose. Sadly the thing that might make me think that way is the managers team selection, tactics, and ability to change tactics to change a game. I am hoping that Roland will put me in better spirits when he meets the Press.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be going this Saturday if I didn't think we could get something. Have to expect a defeat. However, if we are to stay up something has to click at some stage. It needs to be soon.
  • Options

We are currently on a run of four defeats in the league and the last time we lost five on the bounce was in 2006, back in the Premier League - and that run included both Chelsea and Arsenal. We haven't lost six in a row since the 1998-99 season.

With QPR at home coming up (hardly the weakest team in the division) before the glory Cup game I am inclined to think that we should be forgetting about the cup until we take care of business in the league. With Leicester away as our next league game (with Barnsley being postponed again) we could well find ourselves on a worse run than in all but one of our Premier League seasons.

I'm all for the FA Cup and a day out at Wembley but if we don't get a point in one of the next two games Powell will have the worst run of results since last century against his name, and I'd prefer that be avoided.

Richard Murray's comment about us being in a results business looks more and more ominous for the manager.

Both relegation seasons.
  • Options
    1. You can be absolutely certain that 100% of the preparation this week will be on the league game on Saturday.

2. While the fans might be dreaming of a trip to Wembley, that's in fact no closer than two or possibly three or four cup games away.

3. It's unlikely that any of the players would imagine that a trip to Sheffield Wednesday is more glamorous than a home game against QPR. (Rangers at home is always going to be a much bigger game than the Wendies).

4. My hunch is that the next two league games are occupying every waking moment of the manager's and team's thoughts, with the game at Hillsborough a mild distraction. And that's how it should be.

5. As a fan, I would like to see W, W, W over next week. But I would be delighted with D, D, W, followed by a win in the Cup replay.
  • Options
    QPR are in something of a mini-crisis (two defeats and a draw in their last three) so we need a positive team selection on Saturday and to go out and take the game to them. IF we do that and the crowd get behind the team, no reason we can't get a point at least
  • Options
    Reading took advantage of the QPR weaknesses exposed by Derby in the previous game. Centre Backs who are weak on the ground, lack pace and struggle when turned. A centre back playing at right back with no pace. A left back who spends most of the game up the left wing and leaves his area exposed and a midfield that loses discipline when second to the ball. Handbag Harry always plays 4-4-2 and was caught out at Derby (it's always the players fault when they lose, not his tactics).
    We need to start quickly and get at their B4 early on. Dunne and Hill are both doing a passable impression of Gary Doherty at the moment. The question is are we good enough?
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Reading took advantage of the QPR weaknesses exposed by Derby in the previous game. Centre Backs who are weak on the ground, lack pace and struggle when turned. A centre back playing at right back with no pace. A left back who spends most of the game up the left wing and leaves his area exposed and a midfield that loses discipline when second to the ball. Handbag Harry always plays 4-4-2 and was caught out at Derby (it's always the players fault when they lose, not his tactics).
    We need to start quickly and get at their B4 early on. Dunne and Hill are both doing a passable impression of Gary Doherty at the moment. The question is are we good enough?

Best to abandon our hopeless long-ball game then and get some pace and wingers in the team. Basically, the complete opposite to the way we play. Not hopeful.
  • Options
    What worries me is that CP will be ultra cautious as he was in away match with QPR and defend deep for 90 minutes. Did we have a shot at their goal last time? Also we all know team needs strengthening and where but no signs of our attracting good loan players so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we need a winger and two strikers and hope Hamer is back