Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recommend me a short break with the Mrs in July

Comments

• Options

Plus one for Dubrovnik.

Agree 100% with that but a couple of days there + along the coast (up, or down into Montenegro) the best combo i'd say -- 5 nights too long for Dubrovnik itself
  • Options
    Lots of great suggestions on here so far and I'm suprised how many places I've actually been to myself when I see them on a trread like this. A consequence of getting older i suppose :-/

Anyway, Dubrovnik is lovely but I don't think there's anywhere near enough to do there for 5 days. As an alternative we stayed in Montenegro last year and did a day trip up there and spent another day at Kotor which is also stunning. Both places will be heaving in July I'd expect.

Comes down to a matter of what you want to do in terms of relaxing/active mix of days really but I'd also put another shout in for the Italian Lakes with a day out to Verona or Venice too.

• Options
    Killarney, beautiful place
  • Options

Did Florence in November it was very nice. Might be a bit crowded in July though.

lol, she sounds popular
  • Options
    I think you'd enjoy here.......

• Options
    Friends of mine just come back from a break in Iceland and loved it.
  • Options

Plus one for Dubrovnik.

Agree 100% with that but a couple of days there + along the coast (up, or down into Montenegro) the best combo i'd say -- 5 nights too long for Dubrovnik itself
    Agreed. 3 nights was perfect for Dubrovnik itself. However if you were planning on 5 nights you could include the ferry out Mljet which we didn't get to, and is a stunning National Park.

Also recommend the day long island hopping cruise which takes in Lopud, Sipan and Kolocep. Cavatat is also very nice for half a day - a 30min boat trip away.

• Options
    Lots of good suggestions but I would go for Rome ...totally beautiful city, wonderful food and wine, and lots of terrific restaurants.
  • Options
    We got engaged in Rome so is prefer somewhere different

I think I might actually go for Moscow. We've both wanted to go for ages and it should be a bit different.

I'm still researching so will let you all know the outcome
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I think you'd enjoy here.......

Brilliant. Thanks for your valued contribution. :-|
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I think I might actually go for Moscow. We've both wanted to go for ages and it should be a bit different.

If going that far, check out St Petersburg ...wonderful place
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Was looking at Moscow for my 40th in September, be prepared for it to cost a fortune! I think you said you had a 2k budget? If you want to stay anywhere central (Red Square) and anywhere above 3 stars you'll need to revise that budget!.

I got put off by the Visa stuff in the end. Was just too much aggro. £115.00 each, no guarantee you will get them and as far as I could tell you had to book a hotel and then pay for them to issue you with an invitation before you could apply. Also horribly expensive once you are there.
  • Options
    4* kempinski in red square and BA flights (at sensible times) was £1350 for the days I wanted. Bargain!
  • Options
    For a UK alternative, Lake Vyrnwy is beautiful.
  • Options

Cordoba/Granada/Sevilla - do the three of them in five days, they are all different, and all amazing. Andalusia is my favourite place on Earth.

And if you like fried eggs, you'll be able to do them on the pavements in July!
  • Options
    Andalusia is fantastic, although in Europe Italy is probably my favourite country that I have visited to date.

Call me odd, but my idea of heaven is usually getting away from everything; so summer, renting a small lodge in the Alps or the Dolomites would win every time, or flying to Sweden and hiring canoes, where they pack them with essentials and you paddle from deserted island to deserted island, camping under the stars would be fab.

Always wanted to go Moscow/St Petersberg and do the trans siberian / trans mongolian train rides too but so far not quite made that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I would pick St Petersburg over Moscow, or at try to do both.
  • Options
    Florence. Amazing place.
  • Options
    maderia
  • Options
    I'm off to Copenhagen in the summer, looks stunning. Anyone here been? what's it like?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm off to Copenhagen in the summer, looks stunning. Anyone here been? what's it like?

Been twice with England. Loved it in the summer but was a bit grim and cold in the winter. Very expensive too. Women were stunning and had the best endless ribs ever in a place called jensen buffaus.
  • Options
    Been to Florence, Madeira and Copenhagen and enjoyed them all. Copenhagen was on business so didn't do much sightseeing though. Be sure to visit tivoli gardens at night - coolplace
  • Options
    Killarney I tell yer it's fantastic
  • Options

Killarney I tell yer it's fantastic

Very true but I prefer Bantry ...although I am biased as its where my old man came from.
  • Options
    Tell her "I'm going to take you somewhere nice" when she enquirers "where" say "up the arse" the ladies love laddish bants
  • Options
    Outer Hebrides - Lewis and Harris.
  • Options
    Amsterdam - red light district
  • Options

Italy? Romantic, great food and wine, should be warm in July, 2 hours flight time.

Either of the lakes (Como & Garda), Tuscany, Venice etc, all good

Lake Maggiore (sp?) is also very nice - you can do a really cool train trip into the mountains that takes you across the border into Switzerland and then get the ferry back down the lake to Stresa. Lake Maggiore is also a bit quieter and cheaper.

I really liked Lisbon too, good value, plenty to see, clean and great seafood - a short trip by train along the coast to Sintra is a must.
  • Options
    How about Blackpool? Not too far and don't forget Harry Ramsdens nom nom

(Apologies to whoever that was!)
  • Options
    cabbie8 said:

Dubai....great place, great food.
    I know it's not Europe but 5 days is ideal and not too far away.

Dubai in July would be madness. Nobody ventures outside in Dubai in the summer.