Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Polish Pete?

Comments

• Options
    Good work, it would seem that the return (and game time) of Pigott has pushed Polish Pete further down the pecking order. Being 4/5th choice striker at a club that has the worst goal scoring record is a pretty bad place to be but hopefully he's been bought for his potential.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The sad fact is that he probably doesn't have to turn out to be that good to play for Standard Liege. They are a crap team in a League that is clearly sub Championship.

Standard Liege are a better team than us, lets not get carried away here. Poyet is the only player that would make their team (at a push).
  • Options
    I think Hamer might make the bench :0-)
  • Options

The sad fact is that he probably doesn't have to turn out to be that good to play for Standard Liege. They are a crap team in a League that is clearly sub Championship.

Standard Liege are a better team than us, lets not get carried away here. Poyet is the only player that would make their team (at a push).
    No he wouldn't. In a couple of years potentially yes.
  • Options

The thing is that SL players are very good in THEIR league, that does not mean that they would cut it in the Championship.

That's not a question of quality - they would be of a very high technical level - but more to do with the style of football being played in England.

Many of the SL players would struggle with the pace and physicality of the Championship, likewise many of ours would find the technical level too high in Belgium.

Horses for courses.
    Sorry but thats rubbish
  • Options

The thing is that SL players are very good in THEIR league, that does not mean that they would cut it in the Championship.

That's not a question of quality - they would be of a very high technical level - but more to do with the style of football being played in England.

Many of the SL players would struggle with the pace and physicality of the Championship, likewise many of ours would find the technical level too high in Belgium.

Horses for courses.
    Sorry but thats rubbish
    I suppose you must know something on the horse front m8
  • Options

Horses for courses.
    The differing styles of football is an interesting topic and I think you have made a very pertinent point Ormy. Just as a taster of the articles on this subject, some folks may want to check out the following. http://expertfootball.com/wp/soccer-playing-styles/
  • Options
    Well while he is manager the most important thing that Riga can can teach our english players is that they improve their technique, football should not be about pumping high balls into the box hoping for a knock on or hitting it high over the defence into the channels again with the hope of someone like sponge foot to get on the end it. I want to see us play from the back with our defenders looking comfortable, pass and move football from the midfield and so far i belive Riga is trying to make us play this way. For me, a team like Standard would comfortabley win the championship as good technical football will in most cases always prevail over the English blood and thunder game, as often is proved in world cup competitions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well while he is manager the most important thing that Riga can can teach our english players is that they improve their technique, football should not be about pumping high balls into the box hoping for a knock on or hitting it high over the defence into the channels again with the hope of someone like sponge foot to get on the end it. I want to see us play from the back with our defenders looking comfortable, pass and move football from the midfield and so far i belive Riga is trying to make us play this way. For me, a team like Standard would comfortabley win the championship as good technical football will in most cases always prevail over the English blood and thunder game, as often is proved in world cup competitions.

As a team yes i agree with but not as a few individuals. They would nowhere near be as effective in the Championship as their own league.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

As a team yes i agree with but not as a few individuals. They would nowhere near be as effective in the Championship as their own league.
    Maybe if Reza get a brace today we might think differently ;-)

As for pete the pole i would say as a guess that he is lacking technically at the moment rather than beinfg a size issue.
  • Options

Horses for courses.
    Sorry but thats rubbish
    How can one argue with such reasoned analysis?
    did i not give one then??

• Options
    Premier League history has been littered with players who did brilliantly in la liga and serie A and have bombed in england. The ones that succeed are either technically utterly superb and surrounded by bigger players (silva, mata etc) or are really physical players themselves. The english leagues are a lot more physical than elsewhere.

I've said it before but the championship is equal and greater to most of the 1st tier leagues around europe.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

No he wouldn't. In a couple of years potentially yes.
    I did say at a push! He seems the only one technical enough in his position to make a step up like that.
  • Options
    Since when has the Belgian league been the epitome of total football?
  • Options
    I have been told that PP technically is not the issue it's more of an adaption in home life

Training harder than ever before at a different level and his fitness is not good enough and his strength is lacking

Patience needed with Polish peter that's all
  • Options

I thought he was a goalie not a carpenter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure he'd even travel with the squad if he's only good enough for the bench.
  • Options
    A strong premiership team has players who's physical and also a high degree of technical skills. Through RD networks and investment in the Academy I think that our young players are slowly being moulded in Poyet's style and I, for one, is very much looking forward to Charlton Athletic FC's playing style in or after 2018...
  • Options

Horses for courses.
    Agreed. But judging by the international stage, technical, more often than not, wins.
  • Options
    I sense Polish Pete is losing his Sheen
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Horses for courses.
    Agreed. But judging by the international stage, technical, more often than not, wins.
    Indeed, if ALL of their colleagues have more or less the same technical level.

The problem comes when the highly accomplished Belgian playmaker comes short to his full-back to receive the ball and can only watch as aforementioned full-back launches the ball 70 yards into a 'channel' to be chased down!

Clash of cultures.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

dizzee said:

Horses for courses.
    Indeed, if ALL of their colleagues have more or less the same technical level.

The problem comes when the highly accomplished Belgian playmaker comes short to his full-back to receive the ball and can only watch as aforementioned full-back launches the ball 70 yards into a 'channel' to be chased down!

Clash of cultures.
    Nice idea about a "highly accomplished Belgian playmaker", Ormiston - we are still waiting. We have an absence of strength and skill in midfield - a man to seize possession, to move forward for 30 yards and then to release our strikers. Why doesn't Poyet do this, or Ajdarevic? Too young? Too tired? What a load of utter cobblers. It's a fundamental lack of ability and a lack of good coaching that defeats us.

If you like, you can rotate our midfield and our strikers, ad infinitum. We have plenty of midfielders who are unable to control a bouncing ball, we have loads of wingers who have never skinned a defender, and we have a legion of strikers who are frozen men at attacking throw-ins.

We have a free-kick five-yards outside the Reading box. There is a lot of preparation; Reading object. The ref paces out ten yards, the wall shuffles, we breath in. The whole stadium falls silent. Our man steps up - and curves the ball in to Row Z.

I have been watching Charlton since 1966. This is piss-poor.

• Options
  • Options
    Seeing as he wasn't involved in the U21 game yesterday and Piggott was i'd imagine PP will be on the bench. A first goal would go down nicely tonight
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

Seeing as he wasn't involved in the U21 game yesterday and Piggott was i'd imagine PP will be on the bench. A first goal would go down nicely tonight

Might even be starting... After all Pigott got the surprise start against Leeds so cant be ruled out
  • Options
    He was ill that is why he didn't play for U21s.