Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red cards and penalties

2»

Comments

• Options

Chizz said:

1. This is a bad idea. Fans want to see goals, not just see another one notched up on the scoreboard. It works as the ultimate team punishment in rugby, but often the fans can't see whether a try's been scored anyway.

I agree that fans want to see goals, Chizz, but as a neutral I really enjoyed the first 35 minutes of the Arsenal game last night. After that, it was uninteresting. It would been much better for the fans, in my view, if a penalty goal had been awarded and we could have got on with the game.

The reality is that a red card for a goalkeeper in the first minutes of a game is deemed 90 times more serious (if you follow my arithmetic) than the same offence in the last second. This doesn't make sense when the goalkeeper concerned was just doing his job and had no malicious intent.
    Sorry for dragging this up again, but it is a subject I feel strongly about and agree with your points TMA. On Wednesday (as it did on Tuesday), the red card ruined what was shaping into a great game. This is terrible for the neutral fans who want to see great games of football between the best sides.

It is a rule/law which is completely wrong in the game, and it needs some sort of resolution and possibly an overhaul.

Szczesny was rightly sent off, but he didn't do a lot wrong, he just wasn't quick enough to the ball. In the end he's been sent off for an unintentional trip. How often do keepers/defenders serve bans for red cards given for these sort of offenses. There was nothing dangerous or intentional about his challenge. What else is he meant to do?

I have seen a few suggestions about 'red outside, yellow inside' when denying a goal-scoring opportunity, but this doesn't seem fair. Red cards ruin football generally, although completely different if it is for something violent/intentional where the player has only got themselves to blame.

For what it's worth (not a great deal), I think that a penalty should be given for any foul denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, whether it is inside the box or not.

That stops the current situation where a defender will trip the striker outside the box as there is a much lower chance of the opposition scoring a free kick, than a penalty.

This way a goal scoring opportunity is not lost, as a penalty is a better goal scoring opportunity than most.

I'd go as far as to agree with the penalty goal being awarded in certain situations, particularly with handling the ball on the line. Sometimes this can be intentional, but it can also be a reflex. I've seen this a lot, and I've done it myself.

I think you could get a panel to look at these sort of things after games. If the offense is intentional, give them a 1/2/3 game ban. If you increase a punishment (like with diving) then you reduce the likeliness of players doing it.