Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Blog Piece: Press Conference Blues, Welcome Marcus and Goodbye Nan

Link:

http://rolandsrevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/weekly-column-vol1-press-conference.html?view=classic

Each week there shall be a column type piece on this blog reflecting on the past week and looking forward to what may occur in the Charlton world. My first column piece reflects on yesterday’s press conference, the signing of Marcus Tudgay and the passing of my Nan.

Press Conference Blues

I must confess that I felt a bit annoyed after yesterday’s press conference which featured Roland Duchatelet, Chris Powell, Katrien Meire and Richard Murray.

Don’t get me wrong. There were a lot of positive things said by Roland including talks about Powell’s contract and the future of the club. But yet, I still felt that it was all a bit ‘samey’ and nothing new to the ‘meet the board’ video that was launched on the club’s official site.

However, the part about Chris Powell’s contract being discussed is good news. There is one thing that this club needs right now and that’s stability. Both Yann Kermorgant and Dale Stephens cited Powell’s departure for one of the reasons that they left the club.

If we are going to survive relegation, the morale boost that a contract extension could give the players and staff shouldn’t be underestimated especially as he is a well-respected and liked manager.

The only part of the press conference that certainly raised an eyebrow from me was when Roland said, “I would ask the fans not to be very mad if we sell a good young player. We need to sell to survive”.

Let’s just hope we get a bit more for players than what we ever did for players like Carl Jenkinson and Jonjo Shelvey if moves do occur.

Welcome Marcus

The arrival of Marcus Tudgay on loan from Nottingham Forest this evening is a very welcomed one in my opinion. While Tudgay may not be the best Championship player around, his experience in the division could prove decisive in matches towards the season.

Tudgay arrives with a decent pedigree with playing experience at clubs including Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. He is versatile as well as he can play up-front and on the wings which will be useful as it’s one of the places where we lack players.

One of the concerns is the amount of football he has had in the past two years, but with a bit of guidance from Powell, the 31-year-old may prove to be a solid signing indeed.

Goodbye Nan

Last Friday saw the passing of my Nan Frances Gilmour. She was a special woman who I was very close to and have to give credit for as one of the reasons why I am at University today.

She was also a Charlton fan albeit not a big fan but she appreciated them as they were a ‘local team’. I still reckon to this day, it’s one of the reasons why I support the Addicks.

I will miss her very dearly and as she used to read all my blogs even if she didn’t understand them all, I want to thank her for everything.

RIP Nan- I’ll always love you.