Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

first Impressions/beware jumping to early conclusions

Just flicking through the resurrected thread about Jacko joining on loan got me thinking about how quickly we jump to conclusions about new players that are often wrong and at times land a player with a reputation that he takes a long time to shake off. Wilson is a case in point in the latter category. While the welcome for Jacko was pretty positive overall, there were a few "meh" comments but within the thread are some implied criticisms of Solly and a general view that Kyel Reid, Semedo and Racon were the mutt's nuts. We got that lot a bit wrong! I for one was very critical of both Solly and Wiggins when they first arrived and I thought Grant Basey and Danny Green would prove to be terrific. It took several games (at least six or seven) for me to revise any of these opinions and I still hold out a rapidly dimming glimmer of hope for Green.

The moral of the story is that we ought to give it a few games before we jump to conclusions. All the more so at times where we have an influx. Already a picture is emerging that Thuram is Coco the clown, Polish Pete is an abberation by RD, Astrid is the new Messiah, Reza is a lightweight Tom Daley impersonator and Nego isn't ready. All these may well turn out to be justified, but I'll bet we are wrong with at least a couple.

Comments

• Options
    Yep....most players take time to settle and you just don't know who will fit long-term and who won't. I guess we all like to think we can judge a player after seeing one or two games but even the managers like to watch new players a few times before signing them. All I can say is, at least our new players all seem to have some ability and at the moment, a bit of desire. Chris Powell and his coaches will now work very hard to make sure we get the best out of them.

Looking back at some of those names from the Parkinson era...

Solly played a lot of his early games at left-back in an ordinary team and was a bit unfairly moaned about. But even at Millwall in the 4-0 you could still see his attitude was fine and he had a little bit of something.

Basey had a decent left-foot and that always wins a few supporters over (probably me included) but was unable to back it up with fitness and then of course, he suffered a bad injury at Bristol Rovers. In the end nobody really knew whether he should be a left-back, holding midfielder or centre-back.

Reid was at least an exciting player because he ran with the ball, so the expectation rose quite quickly. He did have some good games and scored the odd great long distance goal but he never really kicked on and his attitude seemed to go a bit.

Semedo grew into an important player for us but took time and only really started to shine when others left the club.

Racon, who promised much early on, faded quite badly and looked pedestrian.

PS: If Polish Pete doesn't work out he can be quickly loaned out to one of our Sister Clubs. I don't think we'll see too many spare players moping about the training ground in future. And any players who do go out on loan, can always come back stronger (remember Scott Parker...)
  • Options
    Everyone used to slate Luke Young during his first season with us, but then he went to be a Player of the Year and play for England.
  • Options
    Kishishev was slagged off by some throughout his Charlton career yet made 200 appearances, all during our Premiership years.

Might be coincidence of course, probably is in fact, but we went down the season Dowie and Pardew decided he wasn't up to it
  • Options
    Good to get that off your chest at long last, eh, Len? ;-)
  • Options
    Another case in point - Marvin Sordell - written off almost instantly by many because he doesn't run around like a headless Church. And in that case, it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy - sadly, I don't think Marvin will ever come good for us now, yet I am sure there is some decent football talent in there somewhere.

If we are not careful, we are doing exactly the same with Thuram - in a position where confidence is very, very important.
  • Options

Everyone used to slate Luke Young during his first season with us, but then he went to be a Player of the Year and play for England.

In fairness, he really didn't look much like POTY material that first season did he? He got a LOT better, in fact he's one of the best defenders we had in a long time, but that came with time.
  • Options
    What did Semedo do wrong? He was player of the year and I still think he's the mutts nuts. Shame he lleft but that doesn't change what he did when he was here. I don't think Racon was a disaster either
  • Options
    Dennis Rommedahl was the one conclusion that I jumped to far too quickly... but then again I'd be surprised if someone didnt

Was never critical of Chris Solly but then again I'm in the camp that is always more patient with Youngsters (in terms of making mistakes) than any signing (i.e. if Holmes-Dennis made his debut with Messi then the latter would have to perform for me... Okay bad example)

Kishishev for me was a good player... He just did the hard work (almost Michael Carrick style) that no one sees so people instantly think isnt contributing anything
  • Options
    Semedo was dog shit surrounded by smellier dog shit
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Another case in point - Marvin Sordell - written off almost instantly by many because he doesn't run around like a headless Church. And in that case, it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy - sadly, I don't think Marvin will ever come good for us now, yet I am sure there is some decent football talent in there somewhere.

and he's done so much to prove us all wrong.................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Racon had one good game in ten
  • Options
    Kish played at RB when he first joined, and he wasn't very good there. It was only when he was moved to be a defensive midfielder, that he shone. Darren Pitcher was probably the same!

I was never a big Semedo fan, even in his POTY season. A very limited footballer, maybe we should have kept him at CB?
  • Options

Racon had one good game in ten

Racon was too injury prone. He could have been great for us if he was fit enough. Turns out he wasnt, then was played out of position too much and sulked.

The year we got relegated from the Championship, if he and Zheng Zhi were fit all season rather than injured for 3/4 of it I really think we would have stayed up.
  • Options
    Why is it that right-backs often switch to defensive midfielders, yet I'm struggling to think of a left-back who's done it.
  • Options

Why is it that right-backs often switch to defensive midfielders, yet I'm struggling to think of a left-back who's done it.

Clayton Blackmore

• Options
    cfgs said:

Clayton Blackmore

We tried it with Grant Basey (somewhere like Bristol City?) and I don't think it was much a success.