Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thank you BBC

Streamed the BBC this morning to hear, at 7am UK time , that Hull had progressed through the 5th round FA cup and meet Sunderland in the quarter finals. Then, in the London news, we hear Ozil has been spoken to by Met police about hitting a photographer whilst driving his car.
No mention in either section about Charlton Athletic.
Why? We do exist, don't we?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Just after the 7.30 am news, during the sports bulletin, all the goals were shown.

Just wound it back - it's at 7.33. And they even show SCP swinging on the crossbar!
  • Options
    Just reading the Metro on the train. We get two lines about last night game . Disgraceful .
  • Options

Just reading the Metro on the train. We get two lines about last night game . Disgraceful .

Hull City v Brighton got a whole column, #unbelievable
  • Options
    They'll have to pay attention when we make it to the semis.
  • Options
    I know the FA Cup isn't Sky's thing but hardly saw a mention (on SSN) that there were ties going on last night. Terrible.

Anyone know where you can see highlights of last night?
  • Options

I know the FA Cup isn't Sky's thing but hardly saw a mention (on SSN) that there were ties going on last night. Terrible.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2014-02-24/fa-cup-5th-round-match-report-and-highlights-sheffield-wednesday-1-2-charlton/
  • Options

Streamed it live on Bein 4 HD last night. Looking at their schedule, they are doing a couple of repeats today.
    http://www.en.beinsports.net/tv-guide
    Arabic commentary though.
  • Options
    Thanks reserves
  • Options

Simon Church's winner against Sheffield Wednesday saw Charlton prevent an all-Sheffield FA Cup quarter-final tie.
    Wednesday and United met in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley in 1993 and a potential Steel City derby had been anticipated since the draw was made.
    But Church's header just after the hour mark ensured it will be Charlton who will play the League One Blades.
    Wednesday striker Leon Best had earlier equalised Callum Harriott's first-half opening goal for the Addicks.
    The fixture had been originally scheduled for 15 February, but was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at Hillsborough.
    Since then, relegation-battling Charlton have beaten Championship promotion hopefuls QPR and their confidence continued into this fifth-round tie.
    Analysis
    Image of Chris Waddle
    Chris Waddle
    BBC Radio Radio 5 live Sports Extra at Hillsborough.
    "There will be a lot of disappointed fans in Sheffield. Wednesday did not show enough quality, they looked dangerous from set pieces but that is it.

"Charlton's gameplan was spot-on. They dug in when they had to and they looked like they had another gear they could kick into.

"The hype around Sheffield got to the Wednesday players. They never got settled and were chasing the game. Charlton deserved the win and I expect that they will have too much for Sheffield United too."

The visitors began positively and Swedish playmaker Astrit Ajdarevic served notice of Charlton's attacking intent with a shot which went just past the post after being set up by the lively Harriott.
    Wednesday struggled to find their rhythm and were punished by Charlton, who took a deserved lead through Harriott in the 22nd minute after some neat build-up play.
    Ajdarevic's initial shot was blocked and Harriott struck a sweet half-volley with his left foot into the roof of the net from just inside the penalty area.
    The Addicks had another chance moments later when Wales striker Church seized on a loose ball, only to watch his deflected effort easily gathered by Damian Martinez in the Wednesday goal.
    The hosts enjoyed a spell of pressure before half-time and midfielder Gary Gardner, on loan from Aston Villa, struck a first-time effort from 25 yards straight at Charlton goalkeeper Ben Hamer.
    The hosts were given a let off of their own in first-half stoppage time when Church tried to break clear of the Wednesday defence and appeared to be held by Spanish defender Miguel Llera, but referee Mark Clattenburg ignored Charlton's appeals.
    Charlton looked the more likely side to score immediately after the interval and Johnnie Jackson had Martinez, on loan from Arsenal, scrabbling to his left with a long-range attempt.
    And it was another loanee in Best, who joined from Blackburn 10 days ago, that got the Owls on level terms just before the hour mark. Chris Maguire's free-kick was headed down by Llera and Best swept the ball home from close range.
    Charlton regained the lead eight minutes later when Church took advantage of some sloppy Wednesday defending to head a Jackson free-kick past Martinez.
    Wednesday substitute Atdhe Nuhiu saw a header hit the inside of the post, with Hamer reacting brilliantly to scramble the ball away from on the goal-line.
    And Charlton boss Chris Powell was indebted to another late save from Hamer, who hurled himself at Maguire's deflected shot in injury time to turn the ball away from the top corner and deny Wednesday a replay.
    Charlton boss Chris Powell:
    "Our keeper Ben Hamer made some cracking saves but that's cup football.
    "It's not been the greatest campaign for us in the league - that's an understatement - but this means a lot. That's two huge results in 72 hours. You savour these moments because there have been plenty of dark moments.
    "We've got a real chance now of getting to the semi-finals, but it will be very tough against Sheffield United, who've had some really good results in the cup.
    "It's going to be another tough game, if not harder because people will be looking at us the favourites, that's going to be tough game.
    "Nigel (Clough) and his team will be thinking the same thing. They want to get to Wembley. A Football League side will be in the last four and we'll be trying our hardest to make it us."
    Sheffield Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray:
    "You can't play like we did in the first half and expect to win games of football.
    "It was 27 minutes I think before we got a cross into the box, about 40 minutes before our first shot, 41 minutes before our first tackle and 44 minutes before our first corner.
    "You're not going to win games of football playing like that. That's the worst 45 minutes of football I've been involved with at the club.
    "The players have missed a great opportunity to look back over their careers and have on their CV a quarter-final of the FA Cup against your local rivals.
    "I just couldn't see it coming. It was an FA Cup quarter-final at stake and it's a big disappointment."
  • Options
    I thought Chris Waddle, given his loyalties, was spot on and deserves praise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

I thought Chris Waddle, given his loyalties, was spot on and deserves praise.

He is one of the better pundits on R5L.
  • Options
    On the ITV news last night they reported that Hull had won their FA Cup match and Sheffield Wednesday had lost theirs. No mention of us at all. Confirmation - as if we needed it - of the way news stories are slanted.
  • Options
    Well, if they're not ignoring us, they're refering to us as "plucky little Charlton", so I'm quite happy for them to carry on down the ignorance road..................
  • Options
    BBC's coverage of Charlton is frankly abysmal. Every time we lose we were thoroughly beaten, even if we lose to a 98th minute goal, and if we win we scrape through. Most of the BBC's initial report on our match was on how Wednesday were denied a Steel City Derby Q. Final, and then there's some begrudging fleshing out of the fact that we scored 2 goals. Pretty sure each of our FA Cup ties this year the BBC has reported in some form or another that we were lucky/barely scraped through/were the underdog and were expected to lose, scored an upset etc.

Still, not as bad as it used to be. Twice in a season a few years back I checked the BBC Sport website at the final whistle to see the full time score (i.e. the BBC were listing the score as the final score), only to check back 10 minutes later for a match report and see the score had been changed!
  • Options

Ethethethethetheth, ethehethethetheth, ethethetheth, Chris Waddle!

• Options

Simon Church's winner against Sheffield Wednesday saw Charlton prevent an all-Sheffield FA Cup quarter-final tie.
    Wednesday and United met in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley in 1993 and a potential Steel City derby had been anticipated since the draw was made.
    But Church's header just after the hour mark ensured it will be Charlton who will play the League One Blades.
    Wednesday striker Leon Best had earlier equalised Callum Harriott's first-half opening goal for the Addicks.
    The fixture had been originally scheduled for 15 February, but was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at Hillsborough.
    Since then, relegation-battling Charlton have beaten Championship promotion hopefuls QPR and their confidence continued into this fifth-round tie.
    Analysis
    Image of Chris Waddle
    Chris Waddle
    BBC Radio Radio 5 live Sports Extra at Hillsborough.
    "There will be a lot of disappointed fans in Sheffield. Wednesday did not show enough quality, they looked dangerous from set pieces but that is it.

"Charlton's gameplan was spot-on. They dug in when they had to and they looked like they had another gear they could kick into.

"The hype around Sheffield got to the Wednesday players. They never got settled and were chasing the game. Charlton deserved the win and I expect that they will have too much for Sheffield United too."

The visitors began positively and Swedish playmaker Astrit Ajdarevic served notice of Charlton's attacking intent with a shot which went just past the post after being set up by the lively Harriott.
    Wednesday struggled to find their rhythm and were punished by Charlton, who took a deserved lead through Harriott in the 22nd minute after some neat build-up play.
    Ajdarevic's initial shot was blocked and Harriott struck a sweet half-volley with his left foot into the roof of the net from just inside the penalty area.
    The Addicks had another chance moments later when Wales striker Church seized on a loose ball, only to watch his deflected effort easily gathered by Damian Martinez in the Wednesday goal.
    The hosts enjoyed a spell of pressure before half-time and midfielder Gary Gardner, on loan from Aston Villa, struck a first-time effort from 25 yards straight at Charlton goalkeeper Ben Hamer.
    The hosts were given a let off of their own in first-half stoppage time when Church tried to break clear of the Wednesday defence and appeared to be held by Spanish defender Miguel Llera, but referee Mark Clattenburg ignored Charlton's appeals.
    Charlton looked the more likely side to score immediately after the interval and Johnnie Jackson had Martinez, on loan from Arsenal, scrabbling to his left with a long-range attempt.
    And it was another loanee in Best, who joined from Blackburn 10 days ago, that got the Owls on level terms just before the hour mark. Chris Maguire's free-kick was headed down by Llera and Best swept the ball home from close range.
    Charlton regained the lead eight minutes later when Church took advantage of some sloppy Wednesday defending to head a Jackson free-kick past Martinez.
    Wednesday substitute Atdhe Nuhiu saw a header hit the inside of the post, with Hamer reacting brilliantly to scramble the ball away from on the goal-line.
    And Charlton boss Chris Powell was indebted to another late save from Hamer, who hurled himself at Maguire's deflected shot in injury time to turn the ball away from the top corner and deny Wednesday a replay.
    Charlton boss Chris Powell:
    "Our keeper Ben Hamer made some cracking saves but that's cup football.
    "It's not been the greatest campaign for us in the league - that's an understatement - but this means a lot. That's two huge results in 72 hours. You savour these moments because there have been plenty of dark moments.
    "We've got a real chance now of getting to the semi-finals, but it will be very tough against Sheffield United, who've had some really good results in the cup.
    "It's going to be another tough game, if not harder because people will be looking at us the favourites, that's going to be tough game.
    "Nigel (Clough) and his team will be thinking the same thing. They want to get to Wembley. A Football League side will be in the last four and we'll be trying our hardest to make it us."
    Sheffield Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray:
    "You can't play like we did in the first half and expect to win games of football.
    "It was 27 minutes I think before we got a cross into the box, about 40 minutes before our first shot, 41 minutes before our first tackle and 44 minutes before our first corner.
    "You're not going to win games of football playing like that. That's the worst 45 minutes of football I've been involved with at the club.
    "The players have missed a great opportunity to look back over their careers and have on their CV a quarter-final of the FA Cup against your local rivals.
    "I just couldn't see it coming. It was an FA Cup quarter-final at stake and it's a big disappointment."

You can say that again
  • Options
    last Saturday I finished work and got in the car at 3.45, put radio on 5 Live and heard all the half time scores, only problem was that they completely missed ours!
  • Options
    I was dissapointed with BBc radio Sheffield and talk sport last night straight after the match. It was like they had completely forgotten there was a game on, which is surprising given how vocal their fans were about it before hand! Talk sport took one call on the game from a Wednesday fan who (with a sarcastic tone) applauded "the young lad with long hair who bossed midfield who must have been from standard liege". I called the station desperately to inform them he is believe it or not an academy product and also to applaud SCP and the boys and waited over an hour to have a say whilst the presenters discussed at great length United v Olympiakos, interviewed Stelios Gianakopolos, Curtis Woodhouse AND Noel Gallagher oh and Chris perry (about Tottenham) before I was cut off.

I have come to to the conclusion that the world is simply not bothered.
  • Options
    It's typical BBC, I have no doubt if Sheffield Wednesday won they would get more coverage as it would have been the Sheffield derby.

Match of the Day used to treat us bad when we were in the Premier League as we always seem to be one of the last teams on.
  • Options
    BBC teletext had a report on the match that told us about the history of meetings between the two Sheffield Clubs. We really pissed off the rest of the country it seems. What a shame ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BBC teletext had a report on the match that told us about the history of meetings between the two Sheffield Clubs. We really pissed off the rest of the country it seems. What a shame ;-)

What on earth is teletext???
  • Options
    TBH if you go to the BBC website, at every point in previous rounds they've focused on a team and their story that team went out. Welling, Bournemouth, Southend - all featured, all knocked out. Let em ignore us I say.
    As for Metro, the Standard etc, meant to be London papers and have more on northern teams than London ones.
  • Options
    I did manage to get 'Quarter final Elation' as a three word Tuesday on BBC Radio 2 last night!
  • Options
    Interesting that the BBC Website still has our 1/4 final as being at 3pm on Sat 8th Mar!

Couldn't agree more about the so called "London" papers - Metro & Standard who seem to go out of the way not to mention us