Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rivals (who aren't really rivals but seem to have become so)

I'll start..

The Wendies (based on our recent games against them)

Comments

• Options
    southampton for a bit
  • Options
    Huddersfield have to be there as well
  • Options
    I feel like Geoff Boycott with all this Yorkshire stuff!
  • Options
    Ipswich seem to have an axe to grind as well.
  • Options
    Barcelona
  • Options
    Rotherham
  • Options
    Crewe
  • Options
    Definitely Wednesday, just looking on twitter on lead up to any games, there is mutual hatred from both sets of fans.

Obviously they hate Sheffield United more and we hate palace and Millwall more but there's no love loss between us
  • Options
    Do Gillingham still hate us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DRF said:

Who?
  • Options
    Ebbsfleeet
  • Options
    Standard Liege
  • Options
    DRF said:

Yep, pretty sure they have a few songs about us, lol
  • Options
    Palace and Brighton are real rivals - they seem to disagree on who BIG BIRD is.
  • Options
    DRF said:

I really don't understand that, have zero feelings either way on Gillingham. That's not in a stripey nigel "We don't care about the clowntown" way but in a genuine good for them if they do well, if they were going out of business i'd feel bad for them. But I don't particularly like or dislike them.
  • Options

DRF said:

I really don't understand that, have zero feelings either way on Gillingham. That's not in a stripey nigel "We don't care about the clowntown" way but in a genuine good for them if they do well, if they were going out of business i'd feel bad for them. But I don't particularly like or dislike them.
    As I understand it Gillingham's hatred of us stems from when they were threatened with going out of business around the time Scally took them over.

Some of ours were allegedly handing out Valley Express (or whatever our coaches were called then) leaflets at Gillingham home games.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Wouldn't call wednesday a rival.

They're just a team that need a slap and put back in their place once in a while.

And that is exactly what we done last night and we move on.
  • Options

Standard Liege

I see Liege more as friends than rivals.
    They even congratulated us on twitter last night for getting to the 1/4 final.
  • Options
    The udders
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bournemouth. Played each other a fair bit recently and several players have moved between teams with various degrees of acrimony.
  • Options
    Definitely Sheff Wed and Huddersfield.
    The other year I felt it was Southampton and Norwich.
  • Options

Definitely Wednesday, just looking on twitter on lead up to any games, there is mutual hatred from both sets of fans.

Obviously they hate Sheffield United more and we hate palace and Millwall more but there's no love loss between us

Rubbish about mutual hatred between us and Wednesday. They are just another club.

Yes there have been incidents between the fans of the two clubs and yes a few on the internet get excited, but most of us and them just see each other as a decent clubs that have known better times, have decent support and a decent ground. Sure we all want to win when play one another but that it, lets not pretend it's anything more.

• Options

Standard Liege

Yeah was a poor joke from me that one... I see Liege / Ujpest / Alcorcon / Carl Jena as brother clubs to be honest...

Saw their twitter comment as well which was good of them
  • Options
    DRF said:

Gillingham's main rivals are Maidstone United although Gillingham may change this as Maidstone are a much bigger club and Gillingham would prefer a smaller club than themselves to pick on.

I think they'll choose Chatham Town.
  • Options

Standard Liege

Yeah was a poor joke from me that one... I see Liege / Ujpest / Alcorcon / Carl Jena as brother clubs to be honest...

Some of us understood it FA.

I'm looking forward to the pre season friendliest.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

Standard Liege

Some of us understood it FA.

I'm looking forward to the pre season friendliest.

Thanks DR... lol!

I'd like to see a mini-tournament with those sides as well... Would be great to go to Liege and see
  • Options

Rubbish about mutual hatred between us and Wednesday. They are just another club.

Yes there have been incidents between the fans of the two clubs and yes a few on the internet get excited, but most of us and them just see each other as a decent clubs that have known better times, have decent support and a decent ground. Sure we all want to win when play one another but that it, lets not pretend it's anything more.

Not rubbish at all. Maybe it's an age thing but the majority of people I had spoken to about Wednesday say they hate them nearly as much as palace and Millwall
  • Options
    Don't hate Wednesday at all, but we've played them so often in the last few years (same with Hudds), it's a bit of a lift to get a win in a way that it wouldn't be with say Yeovil (not that I don't want us to win against them!) And Yorkshire football is in the doldrums, as shown by the highest placed club from the county being Hull.
    And I see Wednesday as a big club whose glory days are in the past and are struggling to put something together to go forward, which is a lot like us in many ways.
    All that could of course change as new rivalries develop in part because of the games you play now - hence the Gillingham comment above - they used to hate Maidstone, who went out of business, we're their next nearest League club, but it's not a rivalry most Charlton fans will acknowledge. An incipient rivalry against Wednesday? Probably not. Bored of playing Huddersfield in every competition every year - you could say that.
  • Options
    Crystal Palace