Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Europa League Qualification

Now, I know I'm going to get shot down in flames for this, and I'm aware I'm getting way ahead of myself, but if we beat Sheffield United, we will be 90 mins away from Europa League qualification. 90 mins which could be against, say, Wigan or Hull - both entirely winnable IMO.

However, as I understand it there is a huge spanner in the works regarding our club ownership. Assuming that Standard Liege qualify for Europe (which is far more likely than not), that would then make us ineligible.

I know in the past that RD has moved ownership around to family members to get around this problem, but I would question how quickly this could be done in reality, given that entry forms have to be in by the first week of June.

Regardless of people's views on the 'value' of the Europa League as a competition, I for one would be devastated if we qualified for Europe on merit, for the first and only time in our history, only to be excluded on a technicality.

Not sure what the answer is, and 90% sure it won't end up being an issue anyway, but is this something that the fans/Trust should be raising with the club/RD sooner rather than later? It would be interesting to get his take on it.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    It has been mentioned by me/us on our website
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Lets not forget the Anglo - Italian cup :-)

• Options
    Do the losing finalists definitely get into Europe?

I thought the rule had been changed a few years ago. The winner makes Europe but if they are already in Europe, then the allocation goes to the next highest position in the Premier League. Not 100% sure though.
  • Options
    doesnt European qualification go down to the next placed Prem team if a team that wins the cup has already qualified for europe?
  • Options
    Well I doubt Wigan will be beating Man City! So Hull is the best we can hope for.
  • Options
    FA Cup Runners Up qualify if the winners have already qualified through the League. The same does not apply to the League Cup.
  • Options
    We could even qualify if we made the semis if the draw is kind and the other three teams all make it it into Europe via their league position.
  • Options

We could even qualify if we made the semis if the draw is kind and the other three teams all make it it into Europe via their league position.

If the FA Cup Final is between Man City and Arsenal (or someone else already in Europe) then it'll go to 6th or whatever in the League
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Here you go...from the PL website...

"There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League."

Hope that helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Sorry, I hadn't seen it. Are there any plans to take this up with the club?
  • Options
    I think in the scenario of the two finalists already qualified then 6th place becomes a Europa League spot though I may be wrong. also I feel we may be jumping the gun here a bit.
  • Options
    SMW28 said:

I think in the scenario of the two finalists already qualified then 6th place becomes a Europa League spot though I may be wrong. also I feel we may be jumping the gun here a bit.

Yes and no.

Yes from the point of view that it is more likely than not that we won't 'qualify'.

No from the point of view that if we wait until it's confirmed, it may be too late to sort out the ownership issue and we will be excluded anyway.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

razil said:

I think we need reel it in a bit, still a long way to go yet :)
  • Options
    Come on, let's just enjoy the feeling of making it this far please. Getting out of round three is a bonus in my book let alone stressing about something that may or may not happen in three games time. Let Roland and Katrien worry about us not getting a Europa League place and the rest of us focus on Sheffield United and Leicester.

This is Charlton anyway, so if there were a way to cock it up and not get into Europe it's a certainty we'd find it...
  • Options
    After Millwall's euro qualification a few years back UEFA slightly shifted the rules so that at the time teams qualify they have to be in their domestic top division to be admitted to the UEFA competition. Added to which Roly's euro-conglomerate of teams will preclude more than one which will most likely be Standard into the CL
    Longer than a long shot anyway - our own FA have already done everything they can to marginalise the non PL teams in the cup, giving them the least TV coverage possible when if they're even remotely serious about being fair and sharing the money around then the lowest ranked team in each round would get the highest profile TV coverage - simply doesn't happen - strange innit? or not
  • Options
    That's it, odds on we will get to the Cup Final now! Only at Charlton....
  • Options
    "I've heard those fellas down at Charlton have started counting us already"
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hang on - shouldn't that be:

• Options
    Jodaius said:

razil said:

Perhaps the Trust might offer to take temporary control of the shares...say for 100 years or so?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

After Millwall's euro qualification a few years back UEFA slightly shifted the rules so that at the time teams qualify they have to be in their domestic top division to be admitted to the UEFA competition. Added to which Roly's euro-conglomerate of teams will preclude more than one which will most likely be Standard into the CL
    Longer than a long shot anyway - our own FA have already done everything they can to marginalise the non PL teams in the cup, giving them the least TV coverage possible when if they're even remotely serious about being fair and sharing the money around then the lowest ranked team in each round would get the highest profile TV coverage - simply doesn't happen - strange innit? or not

Wiki says teams can still qualify if they aren't in their countries top division.