Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rules question - Church's Goal

2»

Comments

• Options
    "A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal." (Law 10: The Method of Scoring)

"A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:... handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)." (Law 12: Fouls and Misconduct)

Plus the guidance quoted by Jodaius:
    Jodaius said:

Interpretation of Law 12:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement

It's a tough one to call. It's clear from the replay that it wasn't deliberate - Church tried to head the ball and missed. I also don't think the arms were in an unnatural or unreasonable position to aid the jump. So no handball for me.

I'm sure if it's not deliberate, then it's a goal. That said, I'm not a ref, but I imagine there must be someone on here that is who could give us a definitive answer.
  • Options
    Don't understand what the fuss is about. Church attacked the ball and met it cleanly with his forehead to power it into the net, well, that's how I saw it.................................
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

It's a pretty basic flow chart.

DID THE BALL STRIKE THE HAND - Yes - WAS IT INTENTIONAL - No - WAS AN ADVANTAGE GAINED? - Yes = FOUL

Is that your own flow chart or the one included with the laws of the game?

See it is quite an interesting question - unless you have no desire to understand the laws of the game of course.
    I've got no desire to reply to one of your posts again, I can tell you that much!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's a pretty basic flow chart.

DID THE BALL STRIKE THE HAND - Yes - WAS IT INTENTIONAL - No - WAS AN ADVANTAGE GAINED? - Yes = FOUL

Is that your own flow chart or the one included with the laws of the game?

See it is quite an interesting question - unless you have no desire to understand the laws of the game of course.
    I've got no desire to reply to one of your posts again, I can tell you that much!
    Apologies Jimmy that second line wasn't aimed at you - I was commenting on on the fact that it is an interesting question based on the responses debating it - but it looks like I was so sorry.
  • Options
    Ha, fair enough! It's back on!
  • Options
    scored a very similar one against Huddersfield (I think it was)
  • Options

Better still, the elbow of God! Let's be original.

Certainly the elbow of the Church.