Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray States takeover gives us advantage

From bbc.

Charlton Athletic: Duchatelet takeover an advantage - Murray

Charlton will reap the benefits of Roland Duchatelet's takeover if they avoid relegation, according to non-executive chairman Richard Murray.
Belgian businessman Duchatelet, who took over the Addicks last month, owns Belgian side Standard Liege and has links to several other European clubs.
"It has got to be an advantage," Murray told BBC London 94.9.
"This season, the big priority is to stay up. Then, next season, let's see what benefits we get from it."
The Addicks beat QPR 1-0 on Saturday to register what was their first Championship victory since Boxing Day.
The south east London side are one point from safety but have three games in hand on the four sides directly above them.
"I think we have got the best stability for this club we have had for a long, long time," Murray said.
Play media

"It's just a matter of staying up this year and then we will reap the benefits."
Duchatelet has a network of clubs across Europe including Hungarian side Ujpest, German club Carl Zeiss Jena, and Spanish outfit AD Alcorcon.
Five of Charlton's six January signings came from Liege or Ujpest.
The 67-year-old intends to remain "in the background" at The Valley but Murray says he will place a large emphasis on Charlton's youth academy.
"Roland and his team are looking to do things in a smarter way than everybody else," Murray said.
"We will have access to European scouts, which most of our competitors won't.
"We are academy status two, which is quite expensive, but that is not the end of our ambitions.
"What Roland has confirmed is that is the minimum we are going to have.
"We are trying to enhance our academy operation and to offer the chance to have a year or six months abroad is another selling point."

Comments

• Options
    Definitely gives us an advantage because of the FFP ruling... i.e. where some clubs wont be able to bring in players we can just bring them in for nothing from the other clubs... Even if we do want to sign X player from X club yet exceeds our FFP limit we can just get Liege to buy him and then they give us him for free
  • Options
    I watched a video on the CAFC Player this morning and the thing the stood out most if RM stating that RD financial stability will enable us to hold on to our hot prospects until it suits us to sell. Think he used Carl Jenkinson as an example saying we sold for £1m whereas if we had held on for another season or two, we could easily have looked towards £5m.

Hopefully this bodes well considering it has recently been reported that the likes of Poyet is due to be a free agent at the end of the season.

• Options
    I am already buying into what appears to be Roland's plan for the future, and our little Cup adventure is brightening up the whole place. We should now have the impetus to avoid relegation, and the opportunity to make the changes that we need in the Summer with the pitch at the forefront. This is the time to move forward together as one, and not have these silly 'yaah boo sucks' threads about CP. What do points make..............
    prizes !
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Hopefully this bodes well considering it has recently been reported that the likes of Poyet is due to be a free agent at the end of the season.

This is why unless Poyet really doesnt want to stay at Charlton I dont think he'll go... Roland isnt an idiot he wont let him go for nothing if he can help it
  • Options
    I agree Granpa. Whatever happens this season with regards relegation, I feel a lot more comfortable and confident long term with RD at the wheel than I ever did under the last lot.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

This is why unless Poyet really doesnt want to stay at Charlton I dont think he'll go... Roland isnt an idiot he wont let him go for nothing if he can help it
    I agree. The problem is that with him out of contract we have no leverage and, could it be, Dad is waiting in the wings to pick him up for Sunderland without a fee? Will be a test of Diego's character if he signs a contract so that we can really benefit financially when eventually he moves on.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

I think he will stay as long as we do not go down
  • Options

jamescafc said:

I agree. The problem is that with him out of contract we have no leverage and, could it be, Dad is waiting in the wings to pick him up for Sunderland without a fee? Will be a test of Diego's character if he signs a contract so that we can really benefit financially when eventually he moves on.
    Sunderland is the last place I think he'll go as I dont think Gus wants to have to deal with favouritism etc...

Maybe Middlesbrough though... Same neck of the woods?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I watched a video on the CAFC Player this morning and the thing the stood out most if RM stating that RD financial stability will enable us to hold on to our hot prospects until it suits us to sell. Think he used Carl Jenkinson as an example saying we sold for £1m whereas if we had held on for another season or two, we could easily have looked towards £5m.

Jenkinson didn't have a continuing contract and refused to sign one, so I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. I suppose the logic could be that they didn't have the money to do an earlier deal, but my perception was that it was Phil Parkinson's failure to realise how good he was and prioritise accordingly.
  • Options
    We'll get a development fee for Poyet regardless, but it would be a fraction of what his potenital sale would be if he were under contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes just wish these youngsters realised they would be far better off getting 100-150 league games under their belt before moving to the perceived big clubs.

Not many make it as quickly as they believe or even at all.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Jenkinson didn't have a continuing contract and refused to sign one, so I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. I suppose the logic could be that they didn't have the money to do an earlier deal, but my perception was that it was Phil Parkinson's failure to realise how good he was and prioritise accordingly.
    didnt jenkinson tell wenger he would sign a new contract with charlton if they didn't agree a fee with us?
  • Options

jamescafc said:

didnt jenkinson tell wenger he would sign a new contract with charlton if they didn't agree a fee with us?
    There were other reasons Arsenal had to come to terms with us . . .
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Surely not those Wenger 'photos Parky had?

• Options

We'll get a development fee for Poyet regardless, but it would be a fraction of what his potenital sale would be if he were under contract.

I think we only get a development fee if we offered a contract by a certain date and as Tony and friends weren’t doing that I’m not sure if we will get anything.
  • Options
    It would have been an even bigger advantage if we kept our best player and gave the manager a new contract.
  • Options
    Can't help feeling it's unlikely Poyet will be with us next season. Had a good run of games and is young enough to be worth a contract from a premier league team just in case he turns out to be good.

Pittance for them and a confident young player will back himself to break through. Gone with compensation of a couple of hundred grand I'd say.

• Options

jamescafc said:

care to elaborate?
  • Options
    I think unfortunately we might have missed the boat with DP. It's one thing to offer a unknown prospect a deal which name apart he was just a couple of months ago to offering a player who has broken through and already looks the real deal. I think Diego's advisors would be wrong to advise him anything other than to wait and see what goes on the table in the summer and who else might be interested and there will be plenty. Damned shame but pretty accurate even if I say so myself.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

I remember it being something along those lines. Anyone know the exact details?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I think we shouldn't forget the power of gratitude and loyalty - amongst other compelling career reasons for Poyet to stay. Shelvey signed a contract with us for that reason, and we got a decent fee for him as a result.

If what you say about Jenkinson is true - he wanted to leave the club with a clear conscience too.

Also, we may have been able to get more for Jenkinson had we kept him on a new contract, but we sold him at the right time, and the money we got made a huge impact - and we had Solly and Wiggins so he wasn't a loss to us. So £1m was the right price at th eright time for us.

I'm sure Poyet realises he owes the club some loyalty and that showing that loyalty won't have a detrimental effect on his career - I would imagine the opposite is true in fact.
  • Options

I think unfortunately we might have missed the boat with DP. It's one thing to offer a unknown prospect a deal which name apart he was just a couple of months ago to offering a player who has broken through and already looks the real deal. I think Diego's advisors would be wrong to advise him anything other than to wait and see what goes on the table in the summer and who else might be interested and there will be plenty. Damned shame but pretty accurate even if I say so myself.

Its our job to make him see that a future with us is brighter than sitting on a bench somewhere else. I think his father would advise him to stay with us if his mate Jiminez were still around. Now I'm not so sure we could rely on that.

Best thing to do is he play a starring role in the run-up and start forging a midfield partnership with Cousins, Ajdarevic, Harriot and Jackson and start to see there could be a very bright future at Charlton.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment elsewhere in this thread. If there are loopholes in the FFP rules then teams will exploit it - which we will be doing to an extent. Predominantly I hope it's a level playing field in terms on money in the game though - there's no point in us scrimping and saving only for other teams to just spend millions they don't have.

The more I think of it - the more I like Duchatelet's thinking. In 5 years time he could be perceived as a visionary.

As ever - exciting times as an Addick!!
    LLL&BH

• Options

I think we only get a development fee if we offered a contract by a certain date and as Tony and friends weren’t doing that I’m not sure if we will get anything.
    Maybe we did offer him a contract by the correct date, but he didn't sign it?
  • Options

I think we shouldn't forget the power of gratitude and loyalty - amongst other compelling career reasons for Poyet to stay. Shelvey signed a contract with us for that reason, and we got a decent fee for him as a result.

If what you say about Jenkinson is true - he wanted to leave the club with a clear conscience too.

Also, we may have been able to get more for Jenkinson had we kept him on a new contract, but we sold him at the right time, and the money we got made a huge impact - and we had Solly and Wiggins so he wasn't a loss to us. So £1m was the right price at th eright time for us.

I'm sure Poyet realises he owes the club some loyalty and that showing that loyalty won't have a detrimental effect on his career - I would imagine the opposite is true in fact.

.... and let's hope his father recognises that, since it is reasonable to assume he will be giving his son advice even if, like most sons, Diego ignores it!
  • Options
    Poyet is playing regularly in the 1st team, that might mean more than being a PL reserve, especially is SCP can persuade him (and Gus) that next season will be really good, and he'll have a proper pitch to play on!
  • Options
    People said the same about harriott, although harriott didnt make the same impact as diego has. I think people are twisting his words, I think he was trying to remain as professional as possible and concentrate on the job at hand and to remind himself that Charlton might not even think he's good enough (which is incredibly unlikely). I think we can get him to sign a new contract soon enough.
  • Options
    I too would like to think loyalty plays a part and of course I have no reason to doubt Diego's. On the other hand the list is endless of players who take the shilling or believe they can make it big very quickly at a Premier League club. Trebling his money at a premier league club and then being loaned to a Championship club still might sound an attractive proposition. Who knows who is advising him.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Yes just wish these youngsters realised they would be far better off getting 100-150 league games under their belt before moving to the perceived big clubs.

Not many make it as quickly as they believe or even at all.

think your right , sure he would benifit more playing regulary with us than sitting on the sidelines elsewhere. think we all except he would move on at some stage if he turns out to be as good as we think he will be. look at zaha at man u cant get near the team.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

weren't Arsenal tapping up some one (maybe Jenkinson himself? Sure we made them promise they wouldn't do it again and pay us a fee, they paid us the fee then nicked that goalie off us anyway!
  • Options

Maybe we did offer him a contract by the correct date, but he didn't sign it?
    i hope so mate!

i don't know either way to be honest, just pointing out that we may get bugger all