Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trouble in Kunming

China knife attack leaves 28 dead http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-26402367

A pretty crazy news story to wake up to and certainly not the first during my time here.

One of the things that attracted me to kunming was the ethnic minority population based here. Sadly high tensions and some, shall we say, questionable behaviour from the Han majority leads to actions like this.

My girlfriend went to the station yesterday to buy us tickets for a train tomorrow, thankfully I've not heard of anyone I know being involved at all.

Comments

• Options
    Thank god you're ok :)
  • Options
    most people i know are assuming it's xinjiang related

from your words, you seem to be suggesting it could be the result of some more local unrest

is that the assumption you are working under?

glad to hear you are unharmed, dude
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Apparently it was Xinjiang ren, with rumours of other attacks around the city.

It wasn't that long ago a bomb went off in one of the bigger foreign bars, although that was due to a local problem.

I might have to cancel my trip to see the rapeseed flowers in Luo Ping tomorrow, although compared to those poor folks who have lost their lives, I really have no place to complain.
  • Options
    any idea why they would have chosen kunming?

any possibility of it being local unrest being pinned on xinjiang types?
  • Options
    It wouldn't surprise me at all, my girlfriend is from quite a prominent military family and said she's been told some interesting details, obviously she won't tell me over weixin so I'll have to wait until I finish work at 6.
  • Options
    i hear ya
  • Options
    There is a very large muslim community here and I really hope they don't get a hard time over this, although I'm sure they will.

Some of the comments I've heard from Chinese staff this morning really are disgusting.
  • Options
    Stay safe, Stu
  • Options
    Do not understand how people can do this sort of thing. Sickener of a story.
  • Options
    Was watching the news on TV..... Totally shocked..... 29 dead already..... No disrespect but I never thought such terrorist attack would happen outside Xinjiang, let alone in Kunming which is so far away. But then again, China's whole social environment has been rapidly deteriorating in the past few years......

Stu and Siv, take care of yourselves and stay safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jac52 said:

They're brainwashed terrorists.
  • Options
    They have now confirmed it is Xinjiang folks and four of them are still on the run.

Currently have army units barricading certain areas (you'll never guess which people live there)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

jac52 said:

They're brainwashed terrorists.
    I don't really want to get into this again today but as a group of people they are not exactly looked after in China, not that this is the answer.

• Options
    Everybody looking for a place of their own, always somebody else wants the same space. Ukraine thread same. Scots thread. As long as people are classified by ethnicity this will happen, so no sign of any end soon. Wait til the nanobots get us all.
  • Options
    It's good (if that's the right word) to read about such things from someone who is close to it. Hope you and your nearest and dearest don't come to any harm.
  • Options
    Stay safe tiger and keep ya nut down (huge though it is)

But in truth really glad your ok mate when I was watching it unfold I was hoping you'd post today

Stay safe pal

Darren
  • Options
    Cheers D, had to catch a train to LuoPing this morning, was very strange standing in line knowing what had happened days before.

I believe 6 of the terrorists are still on the run, not cancelling ANY of the trains at the time may have been a little stupid, boasting that not a single train was late, despite the massacre seems quite odd