Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC to axe a channel

1235»

Comments

• MrOneLung said:

Still not sure about those arguing ' well come up for an alternative to the licence fee'

why is there a need to pay for it at all?

People keep saying great value etc but make it self sufficient like all other media outlets.

I would be more than happy for BBC to have a few adverts like every other channel lol
  • We are moving quickly towards subscription based on demand TV for everything. Hopefully the sooner the better, I rarely watch live TV any more unless it's for sport.
  • MrOneLung said:

Still not sure about those arguing ' well come up for an alternative to the licence fee'

why is there a need to pay for it at all?

People keep saying great value etc but make it self sufficient like all other media outlets.

They have, like here in Portugal it's going to be an extra charge in with your electricity bill, so no one can avoid paying by pretending they never watch or listen to the BBC.
  • Shame the BBC ain't axed, PERIOD
  • There have been complaints - from whom is not specified - that Radio2 is too 'white' .. not of course that BBC Asian Radio is not too errrrr 'Asian', or that Radios 1 and 1Ex are not too 'black', or indeed that BBC Radio Humberside is too orientated towards those of a Humber persuasion ..

anyway back to the telly .. BBC3 is the one under threat or already under the axe so I believe .. stories (from BBC Radio 4, The Media Show) allude to that fact that an independent TV producer has had a £100,000,000, an extraordinary amount of money, bid for the channel refused, as, BBC3 will become internet only, and any terrestrial, digital channel would only be competition for the 'new' station .. amazing what the arrogant BBC mandarins can do with OUR, yes OUR money .. good though that a BBC radio station can openly discuss the fickle nature of other parts of the organisation
  • Let's not forget how much of a fuck up the Beeb made of trying to kill its most succesful digital station in 6Music.
  • edited March 2015
    Rothko said:

Let's not forget how much of a fuck up the Beeb made of trying to kill its most succesful digital station in 6Music.

They probably didn't want to but had to choose something to cut after being put under pressure to do so.

It was a terrible decision though.

The trouble is that when the BBC have to cut back it's seems like it's the less populist output that targeted. When that happens it just becomes like all the other commercial tv and radios stations and when is that good in that for the art, culture and education of the UK?

Be careful what wish for, unless it's Heart Radio and ITV.

• Rothko said:

Let's not forget how much of a fuck up the Beeb made of trying to kill its most succesful digital station in 6Music.

They probably didn't want to but had to choose something to cut after being put under pressure to do so.

It was a terrible decision though.

The trouble is that when the BBC have to cut back it's seems like it's the less populist output that targeted. When that happens it just becomes like all the other commercial tv and radios stations and when is that good in that for the art, culture and education of the UK?

Be careful what wish for, unless it's Heart Radio and ITV.

Bloody Reams....
  • There have been complaints - from whom is not specified - that Radio2 is too 'white' .. not of course that BBC Asian Radio is not too errrrr 'Asian', or that Radios 1 and 1Ex are not too 'black', or indeed that BBC Radio Humberside is too orientated towards those of a Humber persuasion ..

anyway back to the telly .. BBC3 is the one under threat or already under the axe so I believe .. stories (from BBC Radio 4, The Media Show) allude to that fact that an independent TV producer has had a £100,000,000, an extraordinary amount of money, bid for the channel refused, as, BBC3 will become internet only, and any terrestrial, digital channel would only be competition for the 'new' station .. amazing what the arrogant BBC mandarins can do with OUR, yes OUR money .. good though that a BBC radio station can openly discuss the fickle nature of other parts of the organisation

That bid made no sense, it's the programmes that make or break a channel and they cost money to make. Freesat has 100 channels to fill if someone thinks they can make a go of a "BBC3" type channel

That bid made no sense, it's the programmes that make or break a channel and they cost money to make. Freesat has 100 channels to fill if someone thinks they can make a go of a "BBC3" type channel
    according to the R4 prog, the vast majority of BBC3 content is outsourced .. the failed bidders claimed to have been in touch with the programme makers and had agreements to continue with the - almost unchanged - programming, except of course for the inclusion of advertising ..
  • Sponsored links:

• brogib said:

...never forgiven em for pulling the plug on Why Don't You

The irony of the show was amazing.
  • brogib said:

...never forgiven em for pulling the plug on Why Don't You

The irony of the show was amazing.
    Bloody repeats...
  • brogib said:

Shame the BBC ain't axed, PERIOD

Why?
  • colthe3rd said:

brogib said:

Why?
    Why not?
  • brogib said:

colthe3rd said:

brogib said:

Why?
    Why not?

Cos I've only ever seen Stacey Dooley on the beeb and she makes my tummy feel funny.
  • brogib said:

colthe3rd said:

brogib said:

Why?
    Why not?

Cos I've only ever seen Stacey Dooley on the beeb and she makes my tummy feel funny.
    Is she the Doris who made the documentary about Luton? If it is, I like her a lot, but not enough to not axe the BBC

• brogib said:

colthe3rd said:

brogib said:

Why?
    Why not?
    Good point well made.
  • That's the one brogib :smile:
  • Hate the new format website.
    (Bring back the lo-fi version for people who just want to read the content, well whats left of the content).
  • colthe3rd said:

brogib said:

Why?
    Got me there
  • Sponsored links:

according to the R4 prog, the vast majority of BBC3 content is outsourced .. the failed bidders claimed to have been in touch with the programme makers and had agreements to continue with the - almost unchanged - programming, except of course for the inclusion of advertising ..
    Imagine the BBC would cherry pick the most successful programmes anyway.
  • brogib said:

colthe3rd said:

brogib said:

Why?
    Got me there