Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car Insurance - The Post Code rip-off

If had the displeasure of seeking qoutes for car insurance following a change of address and was shocked to say the least to see how different prices can be at an address in the same City.
Living in Sheffield i moved approximately 4 miles from a busy main road, to a quiet back street in a more 'economically viable' area ;)
My own insurer were happy to reqoute me and the premium went up from £400 to £1050. I shopped around and was shocked fucked off to find that the cheapest i could get was around £850.

Now i'm not tight, (i know some of you will be thinking, but he lives in the North) but an increase of over 100% just seems ridiculous. I'm driving the same car, the same journeys, with no points, no convictions, no claims etc. The house that i've moved to has a garage which i could park the car in securely, but no alteration to the premium. Not all of us can pick and choose where we live or park our cars so i just wondered if anyone else had noticed/experienced anything like this themselves?

By the way my car is a 19 year old 205 diesel, just in case anyone wondered if i had an Impreza or 911.

Comments

• Options
    Biggest part of the price risk model in insurance is address it's crazy. We moved 10 minutes down the road and had a private drive but still got charged more
  • Options
    Insurance is a total rip-off. Legalised theft.
  • Options
    Yeah, except for paying you money when you crash the car of have it stolen.
  • Options
    If it's a 19 year old car have you tried getting it on a classic car policy?
  • Options
    We moved to the ar5e of no where, car insurance down £175, house insurance down £160, Dogs insurance up £20????
  • Options
    Have you got fully comp insurance?
    If so, why on a 19 year-old car?
    Whatever, that is a rubbish quote. I can only assume that car theft is prevalent in your new location?
    Have you tried looking at the ACORN* rating for your new & old postcodes? These can be quite eye-opening. acorn.caci.co.uk/ The amount of data held and its general accuracy, right down to what newspapers you are likely to read and what type of food you eat, just derived from your post code is a bit scary. Here's the user guide: acorn.caci.co.uk/downloads/Acorn-User-guide.pdf
    This site http:/checkmyfile.com/postcode-check/SW1A-2AA.htm/ does a similar sort of job but I don't think it's so comprehensive.

*ACORN is an acronym for "A Classification Of Residential Neighbourhoods".
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

We moved to the ar5e of no where, car insurance down £175, house insurance down £160, Dogs insurance up £20????

Tick-borne diseases?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Tick-borne diseases?
    They told me they are more likely to be stolen out here!

• Options
    T.C.E said:

cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Tick-borne diseases?
    They told me they are more likely to be stolen out here!

This, dog theft in the country is higher compared to towns and city's.