Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre-owned Mac laptop?

My Air is nearing the end of its days, but I'm reluctant to splash on a brand new one when I have an Ipad and a desktop at home.

Do people think I might pick up a reliable secondhand Air or Pro in the UK, and if so any tips on locating one?

Comments

• Refurbished direct from apple is a good option, they are pretty much brand new .
  • Thanks, just found it.
  • i've bought a few off ebay...never had any problems.

imac £400
    pro £350
  • I only know about laptops but, you can buy a Lenovo T400 or x200 for £130-£150, they'll run 32 bit 7 fine and Ubuntu flies on them. very robust too.
  • Dear learned Lifers.

Could any of you help me evaluate the two choices here: n.b that the prices may seem low but they are after the deduction of VAT at 21%

NEW MacBook Air 13 ", 4/128, £796, comes with 2 year guarantee out here too

Used MacBook Pro 13", mid- 2012 model 4/500, OS 10.9.2, £515 from our regular Apple service people.

Mate has offered to install extra 4mb of RAM.

Of course Pro is much heavier, that's why I bought my first Air, but nowadays laptop doesn't leave the house much, I have my iPad. One thing I will do more of (due to demise of my satellite TV potential) is use the laptop to stream iPlayer to my new Samsung TV. I presume that is easy from both these two?

Thanks for your thoughts on which to go for. Yes money is a bit tighter than it was, but wonder if it may be false economy...
  • I would only use an Air to save my shoulder walking to work. Otherwise, the Pro would be the better option based on disc drive and port options. I think. I'm no expert!

Just out of interest, what has happened to your current Air?

• Pro has the better specs, especially when you're installing an extra 4gb of RAM, that will run like a dream!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I would only use an Air to save my shoulder walking to work. Otherwise, the Pro would be the better option based on disc drive and port options. I think. I'm no expert!

Just out of interest, what has happened to your current Air?

it is 5 years old. Embarrassed me because it could not connect to beamers for presentations, and turned out it wasn't the connectors, as service supposed. Keeps claiming startup disk is full, when it isn't. Coloured spinning ball all the time. Service claimed it needs a new motherboard. Mate said that's bollocks, and tinkered with it. Was better for a few weeks then reverted to previous state. Pity, its a great piece of kit. I guess 5 years is par for the course...
  • Do you guys know if this Pro has an HDMI port?
  • Not sure any pros do but you can buy a mini dvi to HDMI cable or adaptor from eBay for less than a tenner. I have one for my 2011 MacBook Pro and it works great. Just be careful as some of these don't have the ability to transfer sound. It will say this in the description.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not exactly ebay cheap but still a discount, Apple refurbished macs http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
  • BDL said:
    It's only £100 cheaper than John Lewis (where you get e three year guarantee), the £344 is compared to Littlewoods catalog where you get to pay for it over 104 weeks.

Very misleading in my view.

Not a dig at you BDL, but I do hate this type of marketing.