Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dimmer switch mystery

My living room light stopped dimming from the switch recently

So i thought its bound to the switch, changed it, no effect

Identical fitting in dining room (which works) so I change it over keeping the bulbs in it just in case there is some odd thing with energy saver bulbs.

No effect, very puzziling

Comments

• Options
    it's the curse
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that.
  • Options
    Maybe you could get the CAS Trust to demand a written explanation.
  • Options
    You'll be in trouble for changing that switch. It had an ACV attached.
  • Options
    Hilarious.. I'm going with the curse..
  • Options
    Have you tried the first switch in the 2nd switches place?
    If the 1st switch works in the 2nd switches place then replace the 2nd switch which is in the 1st switches place with a new switch
    If the new switch doesn't work in the 1st switches place switch the switches so the new switch is in the 2nd switches place and the 1st switch in the 1st switches place

Easy!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Tried a brand new one which should be enough, and put a new one in dining room which also works.
  • Options
    sounds like a script for 20th series of Johnathan Creek.
  • Options
    Is it the same fitting in both rooms?
    If the living room fitting has more than one bulb, have you checked that the dimmer switch can handle the total Wattage of each bulb combined if so?
    My living room fitting has 4 bulbs, 50W each, so had to get a 400W dimmer to cover it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ta

They are identical yup, odd but I will look at that possible issue,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dim & dimmer
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2014
    I tell you its the curse. There's something about a dimmer in there. Though DA9 comment sounds sensible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQm0A-bhmiA
  • Options
    Have you changed any of the lamps (not bulbs they go in the garden) recently as not all lamps are "dimmable"
  • Options
    If it is the min fluorescent energy saver bulbs you're using they don't work with dimmer switches . The only "energy saving" lamps that work with dimmers are the halogen one or some LED lamps but only with an LED dimmer.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The halogen ones look like this

• Options
    razil said:

Tried a brand new one which should be enough, and put a new one in dining room which also works.

You any good with rogue street lamps Raz? bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-26463947
  • Options
    buckshee said:

The halogen ones look like this

EUREKA
  • Options
    yes am aware of that, but a 400w switch seems to be working so top prize to DA9
  • Options
    razil said:

yes am aware of that, but a 400w switch seems to be working so top prize to DA9

Well, I do work for an Electrical wholesaler, changed my dimmer switches from plastic to Stainless Steel last year and had to do the same.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some dimmers do work for a time with certain compact fluorescent lamps but eventually they will fail. Best way to go is the led route. Massive energy saving and longer lasting .
  • Options
    You better move out before your house explodes.
  • Options
    rina said:

it's the curse

Only women get that .

• Options
    Have you checked the ghost thread ?
  • Options

rina said:

it's the curse

Only women get that .

Only men have the suffering from it.
  • Options
    Now that's sorted, can we move onto garden fences...
  • Options
    Is it connected to the fence?
  • Options
    I think the problem is you have been trying to fix it with a screwdriver, you need a room full of spanners. Each time you want to use the switch, you send one of the spanners out of the room. The room has become dimmer.