Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Brutal night in europe.

So a brutal night on the terraces for a championship league game, what will the outcome be. West Ham Fans also had a problem when they went abroad, Boro fans also got a bad deal,Man Utd have just got a good hiding and will probably get a bad deal getting home, does our Reputation Precede us? We have Chelsea at home vs Valencia in the champions league with no problems, why are the Italian Police so indifferent to well behaved fans of english teams? This is supposed to be the ultimate prize in football watched by millions and yet we are stunned by such action, it does not happen in the u.k. It DOES NOT Happen in rugby or cricket, what needs to be done to resolve it, what will uefa and the fa do.What does the panel think?

Comments

• Options
    The Man U fans stormed the Roma fans what do you expect from a police force that has recently had one of the colleagues killed at football.
  • Options
    Man U have been building up for trips like this for 6-7 years, while the Italian police will always give out plenty, and more, to anyone who wants it.

Just think how bad it would of been if everyone was stuck in normal seats, with riot police climbing over them and smashing them.
  • Options
    i 've a friend who follows liverpool in europe and he says that ( pre heysel tragedy as well as after) whenever they've been to italy there's always been a lot of trouble and it has been evil, mainly outside the stadiums .
    i really think the italian footy fans (obviously not them all) are a bit psycho when it comes to english teams over there.
    i don't think the second leg will be too pleasant at old trafford either
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i 've a friend who follows liverpool in europe and he says that ( pre heysel tragedy as well as after) whenever they've been to italy there's always been a lot of trouble and it has been evil, mainly outside the stadiums .
    i really think the italian footy fans (obviously not them all) are a bit psycho when it comes to english teams over there.
    i don't think the second leg will be too pleasant at old trafford either

no way man, them cowardly Ities dont/wont travel away from home, especailly to England, no way man! The second leg will go off with out trouble IMO. They are only like that cos they know the areas, its there home town! Cowards the lot of em!
  • Options
    Italians are nutters
  • Options
    what was their mayor saying again?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Italians are nutters

cowards mate, not nutters, cowards!
  • Options
    As MCS says the Italian ultras won't go to Old trafford, they only hunt in packs picking off English fans on their own or in small groups. The majority of roma fans at OT will be Italians living over here.
    Something has to be done about Italian fans sooner or later. Yes United fans did try to get at the Roma fans but that was after roma had stormed to the fences when they scored. And Roma fans were chucking bottles at them all night.
    And as well as the trouble in the ground 10 United fans were stabbed before the game, it just doesn't happen anywhere else apart from now and again in Turkey. But with Italy it's every time a team goes there.
  • Options
    Italian old bill are the scum of the earth, thugs in uniform!!

and as for the Roma fans travelling over here to carry on the aggro, no chance. there the most cowardly people on the face of the earth!!
  • Options
    I have been to the olympic stadium in Rome in October 97 to watch england when we got the 0-0 to qualify for france 98. And believe me whilst the man u fans that surge across the seats towards the roma fans were probably more than a bit stupid, they would have got a hiding anyway.

All through the game in 97 the italians were throwing stuff at us while the police just stood back and watched. The second the england crowd reacted they came steaming in with the long handled battons.

After the match we were still in the ground beyond midnight, the stadium is a few miles from the centre of Rome. When we were eventually let out the italian police had sent most of the coaches to carry the 8000 official england fans (there was probably another 5000 un-official) away which meant trying to get back through any means possible, which in the end resulted in a load of us hi-jacking a bus!

Once we got out side the ground the Italian polce continued to assault anyone english within reach and just for good measure we had a couple of thousand knife weilding italians looking to stab anyone they could.

It was a case of get stuck in or your going to hospital, and I have no problem whats so ever with the kicking I gave some Italtian tosser who was about to stab my mate a (west ham fan) in the back.

One of the fella's staying in our hotel had his fore arm smashed in 2 places as he used his arm to protect his 7 year old son from the blows being handed out by the italian police. It has to be said he needs his head testing for taking his son to a game like that, I know I wouldn't take my boy with me.

I still have the whole match ticket intact as the you could basically walk straight in the stadium.

The olympic stadium makes the new den seem like a childrens playground.

The Place is not fit for major games and the policing is non existant...unless your english, then it's viscious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]
    It was a case of get stuck in or your going to hospital, and I have no problem whats so ever with the kicking I gave some Italtian tosser who was about to stab my mate a (west ham fan) in the back.

One of the fella's staying in our hotel had his fore arm smashed in 2 places as he used his arm to protect his 7 year old son from the blows being handed out by the italian police. It has to be said he needs his head testing for taking his son to a game like that, I know I wouldn't take my boy with me.
    can someone explain to me the value of watching england or any team come to think of it abroad when there is such a real possibility of this sort of crap happening...where's the upside??
  • Options
    can someone explain to me the value of watching england or any team come to think of it abroad when there is such a real possibility of this sort of crap happening...where's the upside??[/quote]

It is a great thing to be able to watch football abroad, but perahps it's an age thing as I would not do it now. I followed England away from 90-98 and has some brilliant trips, but that night in Rome was the begining of the end for me. At the world cup in 98 the best time we had was unfortunately in towns where England were not playing.
  • Options
    totally agree SOS , i went to the world cup in japan knowing that there wouldn't be any trouble due to the limited amount of hoolies that would go and the hard line the japanese old bill would take with any trouble
  • Options
    Went to the Brescia match with charlton in the Anglo Italian cup (Lisbie - in Spain innit), I could sense that the Italian police were itching for something to happen so they could fix bayonets and charge. The stares they were giving to the most well behaved supporters in the comos was unbelievable considering the low status of the match. I am sure the Brescia supporters would have loved to have a pop at us too. Is there something they put in their expressos at their football grounds that make them turn in to mad men as normally, Italians are a very pleasant race. Me thinks its still the aftermath of Heysel.
  • Options
    I must say that although the Italian police look very heavy handed, I don't have a great deal of sympathy for the Utd fans that took a pasting in the stadium - (a) if you're going to go you must expect it to get a bit naughty and so (b) surely if you find yourself sitting or standing in that area you would move before it all kicks off, or at least move as soon as it does?
  • Options
    Given the behaviour of United fans at The Valley in recent years I take the claims that they were entirely blameless with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Hero, it's not always possible to move, at PNE v Brum a while back I was in with the Preston fans and we spent the entire game getting coined, and the stewards basically said anyone who tried to move would be kicked out. Normally I'd be fine with this and just get kicked out, however my little sister was with my Uncle and I really didn't want to run the risk of not being able to meet her by the bogs at full time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]I must say that although the Italian police look very heavy handed, I don't have a great deal of sympathy for the Utd fans that took a pasting in the stadium - (a) if you're going to go you must expect it to get a bit naughty and so (b) surely if you find yourself sitting or standing in that area you would move before it all kicks off, or at least move as soon as it does?

I don't have sympathy for the United fans in the ground as they shouldn't have charged to the perspex barriers, but i do have sympathy for the 10 stabbed before the game as i've no doubt they were picked off by the oh so brave Ultras.
  • Options
    anyone know of a clip/video footage, so i can see what happened??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]I must say that although the Italian police look very heavy handed, I don't have a great deal of sympathy for the Utd fans that took a pasting in the stadium - (a) if you're going to go you must expect it to get a bit naughty and so (b) surely if you find yourself sitting or standing in that area you would move before it all kicks off, or at least move as soon as it does?

I don't have sympathy for the United fans in the ground as they shouldn't have charged to the perspex barriers, but i do have sympathy for the 10 stabbed before the game as i've no doubt they were picked off by the oh so brave Ultras.

I garuntee not all the Utd fans who took a battering charged the fence, so I have nothing by sympathy for em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great article in The Times that just about sums up the hypocrisy that if an English club had a reputation such as Roma's and that countless visiting fans had been stabbed in London / Liverpool / Manchester etc over the past 6 years then they'd be banned by UEFA

Link
  • Options
    Lets face it we've cleaned up our act, other European countries haven't its political, the reality is Italy should be barred from all external competitions till they sort out their domestic situation, but I doubt UEFA will have the nerve. Having said all that Manu have a firm, and England seem to attract a fair number of thugs from all clubs, so who knows.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    why did they have the police inside the part where utd fans were leaving free reign for the italians to launch bottles/ goad / antagonise..didnt matter tho cos we're english scum bags. why not have police that side?

Im not casting all italians in the same light because they are most definitely not - lovely people, food culture and country. but i went to the munich beer fest about 3 years ago... 15 of us on a hen do... every time we wanted to go through the beer hall to get to the loo we had to go in groups of at least 5 as there were a group of about 10 young italian men who were standing in the central walkway. To get past them you had to put your fists up over face and just run through the physical barrage. i managed to punch my way through but turned to rescue two friends who were caught in the middle screaming by kicking and punching as hard as i could. if english blokes did that... well we'd never hear the end of it. they looked shocked when i lashed out? luckily we got them removed after that as we were all close to tears.

sorry any offence to any italians reading but i've never experienced anything like that and i hope to god i dont ever.

or perhaps they just looked shocked as i got a good right hander .... :-)
  • Options
    At a slight tangent, doesn't it make a change the way these things get reported these days? The UK media are falling over themselves to defend the man u fans - rightly or wrongly, I wasn't there so wouldn't know - whereas in years gone by they would've been instantly hung out to dry (again, rightly or wrongly!)
  • Options
    The Roma fans and the police definately incited it, but from a mate i know who follows United, they had a lot of lads out there looking for it. The Man united fans are hardly blameless.
  • Options
    Same with every European police force.

Same when I was in Croatia and Macedonia. They provoke trouble just as much as starting it. Batons flying into people on the floor is hardly self defence or a way to stop trouble eh.
  • Options
    kicking off in seville now
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: wwaddickson[/cite]kicking off in seville now

But not between opposition fans it would appear, just the spudz fans.

But w(hy)tf do the tv cameras show it!!!
  • Options
    Not looking good, whatever the reason it will be a topic for discussion, and will be highlited in the press.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=qmDMwP4iv9I

Absolute disgrace. That is no way to deal with the situation. its a wonder no one died. Well they may have. I have got to say we do have our steward gripes and moans but the way the trouble makers are handled in our grounds these days is second to none compared to everywhere else. I'm glad we don't have to witness scenes like that in our grounds.
    Dont get me wrong quite a few of the mancs in amongst it aren't completely innocent but if the Roma cant provide a safe venue for such a large game then they shouldn't be allowed to compete at all.