Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Burnley| Sat 22nd March 2014 | Match Preview

The Jose Riga revolution finally kick-started on Tuesday night following a 1-0 victory over Bournemouth thanks to a last-minute header from Dorian Dervite.

The victory helped the Addicks climb out of the relegation zone and being replaced by Millwall and with Charlton having three games in hand over their South-London rivals, the table certainly looks more positive for Riga’s side.

Riga’s stats so far read: played three, drawn two, won one and no goals conceded. His biggest challenge so far will no doubt be this weekend’s fixture against 2nd place Burnley.

The Opposition

Sean Dyche’s Burnley have been simply stunning this season and they currently find themselves in 2nd place, ten points ahead of 3rd place Derby.

Burnley are unbeaten in the league so far in 2014, with their last defeat coming against Middlesbrough on Boxing Day. In addition, they have won three out of their last four matches which just highlights what a threat they are.

One of the most recognisable reasons to Burnley’s brilliant season has been the partnership of Sam Vokes and Danny Ings upfront as the pair have scored 38 league goals between them.

However, some positive news for the Addicks is that Ings (who picked up the Football League Championship player of the year award last Sunday) is likely to miss Saturday’s match after picking up ankle ligament damage against Birmingham last week.

The Line –Up

After a pretty tame opening 40 mins for Charlton, the substitution of Jonathan Obika for the injured Callum Harriott and a change of formation certainly did make more of an impression on the side.

One thing is for certain is that the back five of: Hamer, Wilson, Morrison, Dervite and Wiggins should remain.

If we do line-up with the same 4-3-3 formation that finished the match, then the middle midfield three would probably be Jackson, Cousins and Poyet.

Danny Green and Callum Harriott may be dropped and placed on the bench, while Marvin Sordell will be looking to start following a good cameo on Tuesday night.
Simon Church and Jonathan Obika will be contesting for the starting spot upfront.

Reza and Ajdarevic may be recalled to the bench following their absence from the squad against Bournemouth.

The Prediction

Narrow 1-0 defeat.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2014
    They don't concede many at all and i can see Vokes/Ings causing us problems.

Very difficult game, so would be delighted with a point.

Edit: Just read Ings is out. Still won't be easy!
  • Options
    I would take a point from a boring 0-0 now.
  • Options
    Real tough challenge, but I am forecasting 1-1 with more than just my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Bought back down to earth, 0-3
  • Options
    2-1 defeat but plenty of positives to take from the game. Obika getting the goal.
  • Options
    Really can't see Harriot making the starting XI, maybe not even the bench. He didn't even stick around the Valley for the briefing down/post-match team talk. Maybe a straight swap for AA, we need to be careful with JJ also, the man must be running on empty!!!
  • Options
    The way we are playing at the moment means I can't see anything but a 1-0 win. We may even get 2 and proper stuff them.
  • Options
    I would have Tudgay on the right and AA on the left.

Hard to see us getting anything from this one, but let's hope the new manager 'bounce' gets us al least a point.

Has Solly played any reserve games yet? It would nice to see him on the bench soon.
  • Options
    0-2 burnley. Bit much for us on this occasion.
  • Options
    4 - 4 goal fest.

Eric gets a last minute equaliser but they score again in added time only for Hamer to score from a corner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tough game but winnable. We've beaten Leicester and QPR at home so why not Burnley.

I predict it'll be like every other home game we've had this season where it is tight and not much difference between the sides apart from the opposition have slightly more about them up front.
  • Options
    I reckon we're gonna win this one 2-1

Marvellous Marv and #Obikatime
  • Options
    Could only see this game going one way and that would've been a convincing Burnley win, but now Ings has been ruled out of the game I have a bit of optimism for this one. The game yesterday will have given the squad a massive boost so I'm going to go for a score draw here, 1-1, Sordell with the goal!

I'll be ecstatic if we get anything from this game!
  • Options
    2 0 win for the Addicks, helped by Ings being ruled out.

Obika twice.

That being said, if i was offered a point right now, i would take it.
  • Options
    I'd go with that line up with Reza to replace crocked Harriott. Abundant pace will terrify their defence. 3-0 sparking a late run to play-offs.
  • Options
    Rarely predict wins but am utterly convinced we'll win this 2-1.

Think Ings is injured.

• Options
    A tight 1-0 to the addicks. Obika with another last gasp winner.
  • Options
    2-1 loss for me. Think we'll line up 4-2-3-1 with AA in behind Sordell. A draw would be a great result
  • Options
    Don't think I'll bother with the 90 minutes, just turn up at 4.45ish to watch our winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off on my postponed honeymoon soon so this is my last home match until the end of April when our position as a Championship club should hopefully be assured! So I'd like to see a positive result (wouldn't we all) but at the very least give Burnley as good as we get. The feel-good factor should help us but gut feeling will be a 2-1 reverse. A draw or win will mean the Mrs. is going to have a really good honeymoon!
  • Options
    Certain they will score, not so certain we will, but feeling good today so will go for 1-1.
  • Options
    Have a feeling that Burnley, away from home and without Ings might not be as good as they are cracked up to be. Very even game, which I could see us winning 2-1.
  • Options

Off on my postponed honeymoon soon so this is my last home match until the end of April when our position as a Championship club should hopefully be assured! So I'd like to see a positive result (wouldn't we all) but at the very least give Burnley as good as we get. The feel-good factor should help us but gut feeling will be a 2-1 reverse. A draw or win will mean the Mrs. is going to have a really good honeymoon!

Honeymoons seem much longer than those in my days
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Who else is good apart from the front two and Trippier?
  • Options
    Burnley are due a loss, and we're due back-to-back wins in the league for the first time this season. We're also due some goals!

Don't see why we can't get a positive result.

3-1 Charlton. 2-1 up with minutes to go and Burnley pushing for an equaliser, Cousins goes on a Parker-esque run up the length of the pitch and crosses for Spongefoot to fluff it over the line.
  • Options
    I agree with the team by Stubley, except if fit I would put AA instead of Callum, as I think he would cause more problems for Burnley and he is a left footer. I do like the look of the middle three
  • Options
    1-1

While they are unbeaten they do tend to concede at least one goal looking at previous games.
  • Options
    we tend to do better against the good teams who come to play a more open game. All depends what team JR puts out but a game of few goals, happy with 1-1