Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

In praise of Matchday Live

I had given up on Player. There is nothing more soul destroying than Emma Jones "commentary" as we lose. So I was only vaguely aware of the changes. I got a free voucher offer, so I used it to re subscribe.

After last night, I have to tell you , this is so much better than what went before. And it is all the more remarkable, because it seems to break the rules of broadcasting. With all due respect to Pete and Terry, they are not as far as I am aware BBC trained pros. Yet they are far better commentators than Emma Jones or Jamie Reid. I'm a BBC fan, but the BBC need to take a long hard look, or listen, at themselves.

But that's only the half of it. The guys manage to commentate and summaries effectively but from our point of view. They Re gently biased. And of course when that goal went in last night they went absolutely mental, and I was with them. It really was like being there, celebrating with fellow Charlton fans.

Of course it is logical. If we are paying for a Charlton service, of course it should be biased towards the interests of those customers. It just never seemed to occur to anybody until now, that Charlton focus trumps - alleged - broadcast professionalism all day long.

I guess that if I know the Beeb are using the A team - Phil Parry and James Scowcroft, the choice becomes more difficult, but even then Matchday live has an ace card. Charlton focused chat at half time, and then after full time, straight to the press conferences.

I cannot praise these guys too highly for this new concept. I urge everyone else to back them by re subscribing, as presumably the figures will register and help to justify the decision

Comments

• Options
    Yes very good. The celebration after the goal was very un-BBC.
    I liked it. Well done fellas
  • Options
    I thought lancashire lad did a brilliant job yesterday on the match thread (which I read last night). A good style of posts with a new line for each event.
    Quality and generous work.
  • Options
    Ha! 'Gently' biased ranging to 'outrageously' biased - I love it!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Agreed the new show is a vast improvement, i love the bias, personal favourite from last night would be the Bournemouth player getting stick for diving but Captain Jacko getting praise for "winning" a couple of free kicks.

Keep up the good work chaps and hopefully more positive results to come from the Mighty Addicks!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    As you say Prague, they're not trained in the art of commentary, but I'll take biased passion any day. Also not afraid to say when something is shit, they'll say it was shit not very good.

It did get a little messy at some parts (finchy constantly tripping over his tongue during the more heated moments), but I'm sure he will improve as time goes on. Certainly makes for a more entertaining listen.

Pete/ Terry, if you're reading this, did you get to the bottom of how to pronounce Diegos last name (Po)yet? ;-)
  • Options
    totally agree Prague ... they are a good combination ... really enjoy listening when I can't be at the game
  • Options
    The clip was played on Talk Sport about an hour ago
  • Options
    This is precisely the kind of response we were after when we launched the new service, we are a little rough around the edges, but hopefully we will get better, if we cannot show a little bias who can? missed the Talksport play, what did they say? Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • Options
    Love the commentaries. Keep it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree, I took advantage of a 2 week freebie last night and have to say it looks like a £5 well spent every month!

Top notch chaps, keep it going and be as biased as you can!
  • Options
    @‌PeteF

Pete how important is it that you see a subscriber increase? Does the revenue directly go back to the service, do you get a regular report on how subscriptions are doing?
  • Options
    As long as they don't have their own version of Allen green it will always be better than bbc five live - Opionated irish git.
  • Options
    Ideally we want to see the subscriber numbers increase, with regard to the revenue and numbers its not something we ask or are concerned about, its something we leave to the club, we do see how many play the audio boo clips, todays clip of the commentary of the goal has been listened to nearly 3500 times, which in a day is pretty good, this is a record for us, our previous record was 2.5k for Michael Vaughan ringing in to our Sunday Charlton Live show
  • Options

As you say Prague, they're not trained in the art of commentary, but I'll take biased passion any day. Also not afraid to say when something is shit, they'll say it was shit not very good.

It did get a little messy at some parts (finchy constantly tripping over his tongue during the more heated moments), but I'm sure he will improve as time goes on. Certainly makes for a more entertaining listen.

Pete/ Terry, if you're reading this, did you get to the bottom of how to pronounce Diegos last name (Po)yet? ;-)

Not managed to yet, tried to have a chat with Diego after the game but got distracted by Yann.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the feedback and thanks must also go to the current media team at CAFC for putting faith in us to deliver the service. stoneygrove, I guess out of myself and Pete, I must be the opinionated Irish git? :-)
  • Options
    I just signed up yesterday after seeing so much positive feedback. Very much look forward to hearing it live on Saturday for the first time. Together with the updates on the match thread, this will be the best matchday experience I can get when the game's not on TV I think.