Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beating Bournemouth, OBI-OBI-OBIKA and the Final Farewell to my Nan

Taken from my blog: http://rolandsrevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/weekly-column-vol4-beating-bournemouth.html

Beating Bournemouth

Last Tuesday’s match against Bournemouth was the first one that I was able to attend since the Birmingham game back in February.

I saw the victories against QPR, Sheffield Wednesday as well as the defeat against Sheffield United on TV but the victory against Bournemouth was the first game I had attended since Chris Powell's departure.

For the first 40 minutes, I thought we were very poor. We were too defensive, not getting enough bodies forward, but the substitution which saw the injured Callum Harriott replaced by Jonathan Obika improved our tactics.

Despite ending the match with three forwards on the pitch, I still felt that we should have created more. Defensively we were excellent and in midfield, the trio of Jackson, Poyet and Cousins were superb especially in the second half.

When the corner from Jackson was nodded in by Dorian Dervite, there was pure ecstasy in the crowd and on the pitch. Ben Hamer jumped over the advertising boards in the East Stand and celebrated with a group of fans. Me and my Uncle, sitting nearby, tried to join the celebration bundle, but ended up hugging a load of fellow Addicks!

So overall, despite the recent circumstances, it was a much needed victory and it has boosted morale to the squad ahead of our nasty-looking schedule in the upcoming weeks.

OBI-OBI-OBIKA

I was very happy to see Jonathan Obika re-join for a second loan-spell at the club when he signed last Monday.

When he first joined us last year, I remember feeling quite under-whelmed mainly due to the amount of clubs he had been to on loan.

But towards the end of his spell, I thought he was excellent and I remember Ricardo Fuller telling me personally last Summer, that he felt that Obika would become a ‘top player’ within the next couple of years.

Obika arrives following a loan spell at Brighton where he didn’t quite get the game time he would have liked.

I thought his ‘2nd’ début on Tuesday night was very encouraging indeed. He looked a threat and added something different to the strike-force.

Hopefully, he can be the one to solve our scoring problems which could potentially help us to survive relegation to League One.

Final Farewell to my Nan

Last Monday was the funeral of my Nan and fellow ‘Addick’ Frances Gilmour.

I’ve already mentioned on a previous column about how amazing and special she was to me, so I’ll use this message to thank those who have offered support to me and my family and sent their condolences.

Tomorrow’s game against Burnley sees the tributes to the passing of Addicks in the past twelve months.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it, but I’ll be thinking of all our fellow Charlton fans that are no longer with us and especially my Nan Fran.

RIP Nan.